*LIVE PHOTO BLOG* - Ben the Bendy Man's Breakaway Adventure April 28 to May 4, 2013

kylenyc

We're with you! OMG Kyle don't let Ben fall in the water :eek::eek::eek:!

Just needed to say these are the best and most entertaining pictures I have seen posted on here...ever :D Thanks!!

Originally Posted by patter44 View Post

We're with you! OMG Kyle don't let Ben fall in the water !

Just needed to say these are the best and most entertaining pictures I have seen posted on here...ever :D Thanks!!

Thanks! Wow, that brings back memories and i missed the falling part when patter44 posted. Forget Ben! Those concrete pillars are on the outer edge of the boardwalk. I was standing right on the edge to take some pictures and can't swim :eek::p:D. The things I do for Ben :rolleyes:.

Working on uploading more pics in the next hour...

Edited by kylenyc

Day +2 - Monday, April 29, 2013 near Midnight

Stroll back to the hotel, Southampton, England

Ben and his new friends closed out the pub, and so he bid everyone a happy good night, and strolled back to the hotel. Along the way, he could see the Norwegian Breakaway docked at the terminal of in the distance. Music and lights could be seen and heard in Spice H2O... There's a party going on and he's not invited. :(

Ben wasn't on the VIP party list but he was determined not to let that change his ever bright disposition. So, off he went back to the hotel where he planted himself in the lobby and had his typist blog away into the night reliving he days adventures...

P1010081y.jpg

Norwegian Breakaway docked at City Cruise Terminal, Southampton, England

P1010086y.jpg

P1010088y.jpg

P1010084y.jpg

Music and lights in Spice H2O

Maiden Transatlantic Day 1 - Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 11 am

Check-in and Embarkation

For yet fourth time during the vacation, Ben's documentarian didn't sleep. This time he spent all night and morning blogging and uploading what photos he could from the IBIS Budget Hotel lobby... The only place in the hotel with wireless. He wanted to get the most out his upcharge of £9 ($13.50) of wireless. The satellite wireless aboard the Breakaway he knew would be slower and much more expensive. The only thing worse than the wireless upcharge was paying the offensive £1.50 ($2.25) for each small 8 oz cup of hot water.

When his 24 hrs of wireless expired at 11 am, he made his way over to the City Cruise Terminal... a brisk 10 minute walk.

Embarkation was slow and frustrating. Unlike Rotterdam and Manhattan Terminals, there was no separate line for priority passengers. All passengers were directed to the same line to pass through security screening. Once through the screening, there was a separate line for priority check-in. However, it was apparent from the attitude of terminal personnel that it was beyond their job description to use their brain or do anything actually helpful to assist passengers. They didn't bother checking anyone's paperwork or find out why the line wasn't moving, but did apparently have the time to make sure an elderly female passenger carried her own bags as opposed to her husband.

All the lines appeared to be at a standstill for some time before eventually moving smoothly. The priority check-in process from start to finish took an hour. Not beyond our exuberant explorer's patience. Rather, it was the disinterested attitude of terminal personnel that made the situation more irritating that it should've been.

After check-in, Ben was directed to proceeded down the gangway into the now familiar sight of the Deck 5 elevator banks flanked by nice (fake) bushes and no fanfare, a compulsory welcome, and "greeted" by security with a "put your card in the slot".

Ed: The personnel were also oblivious to the rules about whether or not picture taking was allowed inside the terminal. So I erred on the side of caution and did not. Oddly enough, while at the Southampton train station, I was firmly told (barked at) that pictures were not even allowed inside the train station which I found odd in an age of pinhole cameras. It's not like you couldn't take a picture from the window inside the train?

P1010090y.jpg

City Cruise Terminal, Southampton, England

P1010097y.jpg

P1010101y.jpg

P1010102y.jpg

P1010105y.jpg

P1010107y.jpg

Maiden Transatlantic Day 1 - Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 1 pm

Settling In, Studio Cabin Mystery

Ben arrived at his studio cabin with a smile and a little trepidation. He looked about his neatly made bed only to pout his lips over the lack of any special memento of this journey. There was his box of Godiva chocolates (for being a 11x passenger with Norwegian), a NYC tourist guide (presumably free at the local tourist information center), and a flimsy "Norwegian Breakaway Inaugural" shopping tote... One that would cost a few dollars if that at the supermarket. Princess Cruise Lines gives a similar tote to ALL their regular (including first time) passengers. Notably missing was the lack of a ships lapel pin given to all repeat passengers.

Not letting this little setback (or his snoozing assistant) stop him, Ben was intent on having the best vacation ever! He had his fatigued butler unpack their belongings and watched as the manservant stared dumbly in the corner when the closet door wouldn't slide enough to allow the safe door to open. "Oh no's!" Clearly someone has made a major architectural design oversight. Stop the ship!

It would only be later at the solo gathering when one of his new cruise critic friends (?Caron?) would reveal the solution... Move the ottoman into the corner. As Ben learned from his new English friends... He exclaimed "Brilliant!" Perhaps women are better at spacial awareness after all...

The next few hours were a blur... Perhaps a nap or wandering about the ship... Or chatting with friends in the studio lounge. Soon it was time for the mandatory safety drill. By the number of people at the drill, Ben guessed the ship was sailing 80-90% capacity.

P1010113y.jpg

Studio cabin for solo travelers decorated in rich faux leather with a window into the hall that lets in mood lighting.

P1010115y.jpg

P1010116y.jpg

Ben has a problem getting to the safe.

P1010119y.jpg

Ben's rescued from the spacial geometry problem by Cruise Critic friend.

P1010120y.jpg

Breakaway Theater - Immediate after the mandatory safety drill is over.

Maiden Transatlantic Day 1 - Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 5 pm

Sailaway, Solo Traveler's Gathering

After a stroll around the ship, Ben headed to the solo travelers gathering in the Studio Lounge. Unlike the 1-day cruise, this time the event was hosted by Meaghan (Cruise Staff Hostess) and also attended by Julie Valeriote (Cruise Director). The event was well attended by about 30 people which included studio guests and solo travelers staying in other cabin categories. The coffee machine was working and the snack case was full. A bartender was there each night during the gathering to mix drinks.

The solo gathering would be every night between 5-6 pm, and Meaghan would organize a daily activity as well as host a casual gathering each morning in the Atrium Cafe. Considering that solo gatherings on other ships (except the Epic) are often sparsely attended and always unhosted, the gathering on the Breakaway was a welcome change and Ben was glad to meet so many new friends.

P.S. Although there was good turnout during the each evening's solo gathering, there should have been more attendees had it not been for the fact that Norwegian was housing some crew and staff in the studio cabins. They were clearly there to work and not socialize, and added nothing to the studio experience. It was also irritating to see crew and staff make use of the studio lounge, something studio passengers are paying a premium for on this sailing.

There was also no special momento or anything extraordinary to account for the premium that studio solos paid (more than the cost of two passengers staying in a double-occupancy inside cabin many of whom got upgraded)... A grocery shopping tote just doesn't exactly offset that.

I wrote earlier that as the price normalizes, solos will be able to get studios for less than the insides or 100% surcharge and the workers will be out of there. However, after returning from the cruise, I now see that the September sailing during hurricane season has increased significantly by $300+. It might be worth considering an inside cabin instead of a studio if the larger room and refrigerator are important to you. The studio lounge is open to all solo travelers between 5 pm and 6 pm. Don't let guest services tell you otherwise (they tried to turn away non-studio solo travelers from attending).

P1010121y.jpg

Sailaway from the Waterfront

P1010123y.jpg

P1010126y.jpg

P1010127y.jpg

Sailaway from the Waterfront outside Maltings Beer and Whiskey Bar

P1010129y.jpg

First solo travelers gathering - Looks like a good turnout

P1010132y.jpg

Cruise Critic friends and solo traverlers Diane, Sabrina, Val, and Caron with Julie Valeriote (Cruise Director)

Edited by kylenyc

Kyle, did you have trouble putting luggage under the bed? Seems like there's not much room for maneuvering.

Nope. My carry-on slid easily under the bed... even more so because it's wood flooring instead of carpet. Two should fit even if both full size.

Nope. My carry-on slid easily under the bed... even more so because it's wood flooring instead of carpet. Two should fit even if both full size.

Thanks, I'll need two for sure. At least. Treating myself to 14 days and that's a lot of tees. I've been warned I'll have to deal with my own luggage on the CTN I tacked on before the 12 day. Your pix have been so helpful in thinking about what I can put where............;)

Am I missing something, or is this review over? Gwen :)

Hi! Nope. Still a few amusing antics from Ben yet to come. I digressed a moment to post a review of Ocean Blue. There's been a lot of discussion over the recent price increase. So I thought it was timely. If you want to jump a head a moment, here it is. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1848732

Otherwise, I'll post more of this review now and eventually Ocean Blue in time.

Maiden Transatlantic Day 1 - Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 5 pm

Taste Main Dining Room, Dinner with friends

Ben's sure more interesting things happened during the sailaway, he just didn't take pictures of it. He did have a fabulous time at dinner with his new solo traveler friends. Even though he had surf and turf on the 1-Day cruise, he couldn't resist a second helping of lobster. Howeveer, this evening, he knew better than to stuff himself. So, he didn't ask for a second lobster tail, skipped the beer, and saved room for what he knew was a light fluffy key lime pie to come. Yum!

P1010133y.jpg

Sunset along The Waterfront

P1010138y.jpg

P1010139y.jpg

Surf and Turf

P1010141y.jpg

Key Lime Pie

Maiden Transatlantic Day 2 - Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 11 am

Cruise Critic Meet & Greet, Surprise Guest, Breakaway Biscuits

The night before, Ben's butler had dragged our exuberantly elastic explorer to bed immediately after dinner. Our perpetually peppy party prop wanted to stay up and party but his personal paparazzi need some sleep after 36 hours. So he went to sleep and awoke the next morning after a 14 hour nap. Ben poked his butler awake to the sound of an alarm just in time to attend the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet.

For this maiden voyage, the mixer was well attended by Cruise Critic members, ship's captain, senior officers and staff, and even a VIP guest. He met many new friends although it was a large gathering and rather intimidating. So, Ben looked for a few distractions including a table of Breakaway Biscuit kindly brought by Chrissy, David and Madmaz. They became his favorite Breakaway souvenir and were by far better memento than a shopping tote.

P1010156y.jpg

Cruise Critic Meet & Greet

P1010151y.jpg

P1010161y.jpg

Ben stops for a photo op with Rashida F. They ran into each other while exploring Southampton.

P1010144y.jpg

P1010167y.jpg

Ben commandeers some Breakaway Biscuits. Oh nom nom!

After playing bendy man on the mountain, and staking his claim to every last remaining biscuit (okay he might share one or two), something else (or rather someone else ) caught his attention... it was Norwegian Cruise Line's Chief Entertainment Oh-nom-nom (CEO) himself, Kevin Sheehan!

Our limber lilliputian wove his way through throngs of armchair executives barraging Kevin with compliments, complaints, and corrective counsel. While patiently waiting, he carefully planned and plotted how he'd approach and persuade the man into posing for a peurile picture. Then again, would Kevin be able to resist a photo with our very own bright bubbly bendable ben... or call for security?

P1010159y.jpg

Ben and Kevin Sheehan, CEO, Norwegian Cruise Line

Edited by kylenyc

Maiden Transatlantic Day 2 - Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 11 am

Cruise Critic Meet & Greet, Surprise Guest, Breakaway Biscuits

Another addition to "Ben's Favorite Photos."

P1010167y.jpg

BUT

P1010159y.jpg

THIS IS PRICELESS!!!

Thoroughly enjoying your review - keep it coming! :D

Maiden Transatlantic Day 2 - Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 1 pm

Cruise Critic Slot Pull, Lunch at Taste, Q&A with Norwegian

While Ben was having fun with his distractions at the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet and meeting new friends, many folks headed down to the Slot Pull organized by a Cruise Critic member (Gerry/grizzman). He arrived just in time to watch as James (foomaster) pulled a big jackpot so that each player walked away with $45 doubling their money.

Our exuberant explorer and a few friends strolled over to the Taste dining room for lunch. Service was slow as the crew seemed to be getting accustomed to their new paces, but Ben had a tasty Farmhouse Chicken Noodle Soup and Salmon Shrimp Salad Sandwich (which his photog neglected to take a picture of... Slap!). They forgot his shrimp caesar salad but luckily the soup and sandwich were more than plenty.

P1010169y.jpg

James (foomaster) pulls a big jackpot at the Cruise Critic Slot Pull organized by Gerry (grizzman).

P1010171y.jpg

Lunch at Taste - Farmhouse Chicken Noodle Soup

P1010174y.jpg

Sabrina tricks Ben as he tries to commandeer her Godiva bon bons.

P1010176y.jpg

Q&A in the Atrium with the CEO, captain, senior officers and staff.

P1010184y.jpg

Edited by kylenyc

Maiden Transatlantic Day 2 - Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 4 pm

Ben carefully snuck into the Spiegel Tent hosts dinner performances of Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy. Hurry, the coast is clear!

P1010203y.jpg

The Spiegel Tent

P1010185y.jpg

Dressing the Grand Master of Ceremonies

P1010196y.jpg

P1010832y.jpg

P1010833y.jpg

P1010836y.jpg

"My what a big head you have..."

Ben catches sight of someone familiar as he leaves the Spiegel Tent... "My what a big head you have"... "And what long skinny arms you have"... Ben runs off before he gets sea sick.

P1010844y.jpg

Spiegel Tent - Fun house Mirrors

P1010838y.jpg

P1010860y.jpg

P1010852y.jpg

Thanks patter44, Ben's still has a few funny antics to try and make your favorite list :)

Thanks xenagurl, Ben's thrilled to have a picture with the big cheese himself. Kevin was gracious and a good sport, and he didn't run away. :p

You have inspired me! I have enjoyed you fb and cc accounts so much that I decided to do my own solo ta on the Getaway! :D You picture with Kevin and Ben is the best! Cherie

Thanks Cherie, that means a lot and keeps Ben inspired and mischievous :p. Congrats on the Getaway and sure you'll have a wonderful time.

Card room

Ben continued to explore the ship and made his way to the Card Room off the Atrium. His entourage of one discreetly snapped a picture trying not to disturb folks relaxing over a quiet game of cards.

Outside, the hallway is decorated in a New York City theme with pictures of the Breakaway's Godmothers - The Radio City Rockettes.

P1010186y.jpg

P1010188y.jpg

P1010192y.jpg

P1010194y.jpg

Edited by kylenyc