Help-looking for excursions that scooters can go on

lrmanning

I am sailing in July on Carnival Elation. My husband and i are both disabled and use the go go scooters. We are wanting to know if anyone has any suggestions on what excursions might be right for us, since we use scooters? We've never been on a cruise and we are excitied but concerned. I am hoping and praying that this will be a great trip, as it's also on my birthday. Any help, suggestions, tips, etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I forgot to mention that we will be going to Progres Yucatan, cozumel and belize. I don't know if that makes any difference or not. If anyone can recommend anything good for a person in a scooter to do, we would really appreciate it. Thanks!

As Muskrat mentioned, most Caribbean ports lack curb cuts are are not very accessible so we use a manual wheelchair. In addition, most cabs are not big enough to transport both scooters. However, I can see that is not practical for you since you are both in scooters so here are a couple of suggestions that could possibly work for you.

- Cozumel. I am not sure where the Elation docks; however there is

shopping near several of the piers. The stores include Diamonds

International and other jewelry stores, souvenier stores, liquor stores, etc.

If it will hold both scooters, you can hire a van for an island tour. You

might also try Chakanaub park (sp?). I do not know if you can get on the

beach, but there is a botanical garden, a small "ruins"area and a sea lion

show. There is also an open air restaurant if you can traverse the sand.

- Belize. You might try Altun Ha. Of course you can not climb the pyramids, but your scooters should be able to traverse the hard dirt paths as long as you do not mind a lot of bumps (stones, roots, etc.) It takes a while to get there because the road is terrible for the last 10 miles, but it is interesting and most you learn about Belize City as you go through it. There are also stores in the pier area.

- Progreso. We went to Dzibichaltun which we liked better than Altun Ha, but I suspect is is not practical for you. There is a gravel walk to the museum and the path to the ruins is very rough. Ironically, once it is passable once you get to the ruins area. In fact the road built by the Mayans centuries ago is in amazing shape. Of course, there is a small shopping parking near the pier here too.

Good luck.

I have a strong feeling that my husband and I will be doing a log of shopping :) That's not a bad thing, but at least my husband and I can get out of our scooters if we need to. We are actually little people (dwarves) and use the scooters for long distances because we are unable to walk very far or for lon periods of time. Thankyou for the information. I do appreciate it very much.

I am still excitied and I know that this cruise will be great, if we have a good attitiude about it. Of course, I am now wondering if there are any cruise that are more "handicapped" friendly.

Unluckily most foreign ports are not very accessible. That's why we travel with 2 chairs: a power chair for my husband to use aboard and a manual one for use on shore.

However, it sounds as if you can board a bus so you could do city tours or other tours that are primarily viewing the countryside from a bus or use a bus to get to another type of transportation or show. A bus should be able to accomodate both your scooters too. For example, my memory is that one of the Progreso tours was some type of show. Talk with the excursion desk. They should be able to give you some ideas.

We have hired taxis in Cozumel many times and went to the National Park. Wonderful place. The dock Carnival uses is very easy to use with a scooter. I did read that Armundo at 987-872-0041 or Aurmumdo@hotmail.com has a van that can take scooters. going cost to the national park is $10. and of course $10 back. Always get a price before using any taxis. The park is very easy to get around. I even went snorkling. They have dolphine, bird, and seal shows. Shop is great! Have fun . the other places are not as easy.

Meirah

Houston:)

:cool: Thanks for the tip. Sure makes it easier to know these things ahead of time. I appreciate any new updated information. First time Al and I went to Cozumel we hired a guy by the name of Eddie Spagetti to drive us around the island. He had a small station wagon and put Al's scooter in the back. We had a wonderful day. But the taxis system changed since 2001. I don't even know if Eddie is still around.

Meirah

Houston

I have a strong feeling that my husband and I will be doing a lot of shopping :) That's not a bad thing, but at least my husband and I can get out of our scooters if we need to. We are actually little people (dwarves) and use the scooters for long distances because we are unable to walk very far or for lon periods of time. Thankyou for the information. I do appreciate it very much.

I know this is going to sound stupid or silly but it is a serious suggestion.

Would your size permit sitting side-by-side on one scooter? If so you could have a custom seat made to use in special times. Or as I saw in Vegas a custom arrangement with one behind the other on one scooter. I am not being a smartass but it was a thought that came to mind. It might be cheaper than two scooters and it might make travel arrangements easier at the same time.

Just a stray thought but as someone else said Alaska is very ADA friendly and even the west coast of Mexico is not too bad. At least in this part of Mexico you have some curb cuts and the excursions if they use the large buses can store the scooters below.

I normally wait until I am on the ship to make excursion plans and talk to the excursions manager to see which tours can or will deal with my big butt.

Good Cruising.

Hi Jerry, we are sailing on the Summit to Hawaii next March with the rest of the "gang" and I promise no talk about doxies here. I use a Sonic Pride Scooter, due to MS, and on 8/27 we're headed to Alaska on the Diamond Princess. I know you just got back from the Alaska cruise and was wondering if the ports are "scooter friendly" or if you had any problems getting around. Princess is great handling the scooter on and off the ship, it's once I get off that I am wondering about. Would love to hear your thoughts.

I know this is going to sound stupid or silly but it is a serious suggestion.

Would your size permit sitting side-by-side on one scooter? If so you could have a custom seat made to use in special times. Or as I saw in Vegas a custom arrangement with one behind the other on one scooter. I am not being a smartass but it was a thought that came to mind. It might be cheaper than two scooters and it might make travel arrangements easier at the same time

Just a stray thought but as someone else said Alaska is very ADA friendly and even the west coast of Mexico is not too bad. At least in this part of Mexico you have some curb cuts and the excursions if they use the large buses can store the scooters below.

I normally wait until I am on the ship to make excursion plans and talk to the excursions manager to see which tours can or will deal with my big butt.

Good Cruising.

That doesn't sound stupid or silly. I would love to have a setup like that at times. But unfortunately, my husband and myself have too big of a bootie to be able to do that, without a lot of modifications. I also would love to have that so that our daughter could ride with me. We've gone to Vegas plenty of times, and when she was younger she and I would double up on my scooter. But she's bigger and older and we need more room. I may be short, but I'm wide. Maybe someday I can get a scooter like that. But thanks for the suggestion.

I am hoping that we can enjoy our trip. I can't believe it's this month! I'm starting to get excited, but I'm trying hard not to be, just in case it's disappointing because of our disabilities. But if it does go well, I have already mentioned to my husband that Alaska seems to be more disabled friendly.

last week, and it is a good setup for those in a wheelchair. Ramps are at all the shopping centers and in town. In Juneau and Ketchikan, dowtown is literally right in front of you once you disembarkI saw busses and one taxi (Juneau?) with a ramp. The tricky part would be many of the shore excursions (obvious ones kayaking, hiking) and sometimes the tides make disembarking on the gangways interesting because of the steepness. But overall, a reasonably accomodating place. And the views come with the cruise, are everywhere, and completely accessible!

for the info. We're really looking forward to the cruise but I always get anxious beforehand worrying about having to walk a long distance and not being able to keep up or not being able to take my scooter. We're doing the whale watching with Capt. Larry in Juneau, the yukon expedition and white pass rail in Skagway, and the Misty Fjords and wilderness explorer in Ketchikan so hopefully I won't have a problem and we'll get to experience as much of the ports as possible.

One more question if you don't mind, how was your weather and temperature, I hate taking heavy jackets and sweaters and then not really needing them.

Stay cool up there in "Big D" - I understand you are due some rain or at least a small possibility. :eek:

for the info. We're really looking forward to the cruise but I always get anxious beforehand worrying about having to walk a long distance and not being able to keep up or not being able to take my scooter. We're doing the whale watching with Capt. Larry in Juneau, the yukon expedition and white pass rail in Skagway, and the Misty Fjords and wilderness explorer in Ketchikan so hopefully I won't have a problem and we'll get to experience as much of the ports as possible. :eek:

The people at Orca in Juneau will do everything they can to assist you. You check in across from the pier and they bus you to the boat. The ramp is steep there but you get all the help you need. I had to leave my scooter at the office and they plopped me in a chair and a strong young man pushed me. Expect no problems there.

Skagway train has one or more rail cars with lifts which I could put my scooter on so it was no problem also.

I can't help you on the Misty Fjords thingy.

I can tell you that each of those cities are fairly easy to get around in with curb cuts and the like. Remember it only seems like aother country but it is still U.S. and subject to the rules of the ADA. Skagway had a very steep gangway but the ship provides you with help.(X did)

In short I was able to do most of what anyone else could do and did not feel I missed out. I found something to do that kept me busy in every port.

was not that great - cold rain and wind in Juneau and Ketchikan. Of course, the week before it was sunny! So you never know. You don't need winter stuff, but I would recommend a windbreaker and a rain jacket. I bought a $1 poncho in Juneau (glorified trash liner:p ) but it worked. Also bought an umbrella there for $5. If it gets super cold, there is always the souvenier sweatshirt or jacket.

The train in Skagway would work for you; it is confirmed wheelchair accessible.

M&M:

Somebody touched on this regarding the pitch of the gangways in Alaska, but I thought I'd elaborate. They have very high tidal fluctuations there, so you may roll-off easily in the AM, yet find the gangway too steep to navigate in the afternoon when you return. It's a mother nature thing and it happens to all ships. The crew will help you, but it's a good thing to know about before you are confronted with it all of a sudden.

Also, what are "doxies"?

Candy

short for dachsund.

We have a great group going to Hawaii on the X Summit in March, 2006. We got into a "doxie" discussion not long ago because several of the posters own or have owned dachsunds.

Archived