Fixed Internet Pricing??

platterb

Having taken several NCL cruises, I was really disappointed when they decided to implement universal pricing. Now all the internet travel sites offer the same rates. If you're a frequent cruiser, you knew that certain travel sites offered better deals than others depending on the particular cruise line. That was certainly the case with NCL.

Has anybody heard of a way around this fixed pricing? Love to hear your comments.

All I know is the agencies cannot publicly advertise lower rates; I'm sure if you give some of them a call, they can help. Oh, and BTW, NCL just followed behind Carnival & RCI with this pricing policy.

All I know is the agencies cannot publicly advertise lower rates; I'm sure if you give some of them a call, they can help. Oh, and BTW, NCL just followed behind Carnival & RCI with this pricing policy.

From the information given to me by my TA, you are quite correct. According to her, for NCL, the rule is that TA's can no longer publicly advertise a lower rate, but by calling around, you will find agencies that will book for less. However, for RCI (which includes Royal Caribbean and Celebrity), TA's cannot sell below the rate fixed by RCI, or they risk losing the right to sell RCI. I'm not sure exactly where Carnival fits on this continuum.

From the information given to me by my TA, you are quite correct. According to her, for NCL, the rule is that TA's can no longer publicly advertise a lower rate, but by calling around, you will find agencies that will book for less. However, for RCI (which includes Royal Caribbean and Celebrity), TA's cannot sell below the rate fixed by RCI, or they risk losing the right to sell RCI.

Yes, the internet TA I use has always quoted a lower rate for NCL than is posted on their web site. We did book a RCCL cruise through them and they threw in insurance at no cost in lieu of a discount, reflecting the difference in NCL and RCCL policies.

:confused:

Is it true that once you send in your final payment and fares have gone down further you can not get an adjustment of the fare?

There are several other threads on this and I posted my experience of just yesterday with this situaton. Really it's like with hotels or air fares or anything else in the same genre. You are playing the stock market. You watch and hope for low rates. But if you buy tickets from Boston to Phoenix and then they go down in a last-minute-sale, your airline won't give you a discount :) Their aim is to get rid of those few remaining tickets, not to lose money when the whole planeful of passengers tries to renegotiate :)

So you can either book really early to get the early bird discounts - or risk it and book really late to get the last-minute discounts. But if you wait until the last minute, you risk not having any rooms left that you want. Out of the 4 cabins we got on the upcoming cruise in July 31, right now only 1 is still available.

Having taken several NCL cruises, I was really disappointed when they decided to implement universal pricing. Now all the internet travel sites offer the same rates. If you're a frequent cruiser, you knew that certain travel sites offered better deals than others depending on the particular cruise line. That was certainly the case with NCL.

Has anybody heard of a way around this fixed pricing? Love to hear your comments.

This definitely isn't true. I have a whole spreadsheet done up of the different prices offered to me by different TAs, for the cruise I'm taking.

:confused:

Is it true that once you send in your final payment and fares have gone down further you can not get an adjustment of the fare?

Yes, that is true. I'm not sure about the other lines, but I do know that sometimes NCL will look into giving you an upgrade or an OBC, BUT I suggest you be nice :o There's always someone willing to help, but not if they have someone cursing & yelling in the ear that "it's not fair"

This definitely isn't true. I have a whole spreadsheet done up of the different prices offered to me by different TAs, for the cruise I'm taking.

Actually, it is true. No t/a can publicly offer a lower fare than any other t/a. Now, if you call them & they offer you a lower rate then that is ok b/c it's not being advertised.

I did get a slight discount by my TA on NCL, but when I was looking at a Celebrity cruise - my TA said they CAN NOT sell below advertised price and can't give a discount or shipboard credit or they may lose the right to sell Celebrity at all. Sounds like all lines are going to this now - too bad!!:mad:

I did get a slight discount by my TA on NCL, but when I was looking at a Celebrity cruise - my TA said they CAN NOT sell below advertised price and can't give a discount or shipboard credit or they may lose the right to sell Celebrity at all. Sounds like all lines are going to this now - too bad!!:mad:

I'm not sure if this is an expansion of the new "rule" or not. Aren't Celebrity and Royal Caribbean owned by the same company (or maybe it's that Royal Caribbean owns Celebrity)?

-Monte

my TA said they CAN NOT sell below advertised price and can't give a discount or shipboard credit or they may lose the right to sell Celebrity at all. Sounds like all lines are going to this now - too bad!!:mad:

All cruise lines seem to be trying to tighten up on the discounts but as someone pointed outon this thread RCI won't let them sell below but NCL won't let them advertise below. If it is true that RCI's bookings are down then maybe they will get the message. It is a supply and demand driven market. So if the demand for RCI non-discounted cruises drop they may rethink their policy. On the other hand if RCI's booking's reemain strong then other lines will probably become even stricter about discounting also.

Is Celebrity following RCI's policy too?

That is correct- RCI & Celebrity have merged together, so they follow the same policies. Only Carnival & NCL will still allow t/a's to discount, they just cannot publicly advertise these rates.

Actually, it is true. No t/a can publicly offer a lower fare than any other t/a. Now, if you call them & they offer you a lower rate then that is ok b/c it's not being advertised.

I guess what I was responding to was the statement of "Now all the internet travel sites offer the same rates. ". I solely worked with internet travel sites to get my Majesty 4 rooms on 7/31 - and I got over 20 different rates. I did this all in mid-May I believe. Or are you saying this happened in June?

I work in a "price fixed" industry. Insurance. The state decides the price based on experience and probability. It is to protect the consumer and not add unneeded burden.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it runs amuck.

But competition always gives the consumer the best shot. And the provider.

If you cut your throat to get market share then you pretty much deserve to fail. But healthy competition is what capitalism is all about.

NCL needs to get what they deserve from every cruiser to make a healthy profit. But price fixing is unhealthy.....

Insurance prices are not necessarily fixed in all states. Also there is still competition among different insurers who use different reasoning to justify different amounts(automobile insurance is an example). All that is being done is the prohibiting of rebating/advertising commissions- a different story completely...

Insurance prices are not necessarily fixed in all states. Also there is still competition among different insurers who use different reasoning to justify different amounts(automobile insurance is an example). All that is being done is the prohibiting of rebating/advertising commissions- a different story completely...

I said in my state prices were regulated.

In my state all reasoning comes down to experience and probability....yes, some movement in ideology.

I was talking about price fixing not being healthy in any industry...barring cut throat nonsense where nobody makes out.

Sorry you misunderstood.

I understood please reread your post. This is just not price fixing as you point out it is price regulation- that is different. Price fixing isn't healthy but what is happening is just not price fixing yet at least...BTW it would also be illegal for the cruise lines to agree that no discounting is allowed but it is ok when the individual line decides not to alow their agents to discount...So many isurance companies have gone out of business I understand the need to regulate and make sure consumers got what they paid for.

I understood please reread your post. This is just not price fixing as you point out it is price regulation- that is different. Price fixing isn't healthy but what is happening is just not price fixing yet at least...BTW it would also be illegal for the cruise lines to agree that no discounting is allowed but it is ok when the individual line decides not to alow their agents to discount...So many isurance companies have gone out of business I understand the need to regulate and make sure consumers got what they paid for.

Again we will have to agree to disagree. Price fixing...price regulation. Let's just keep confusing the common consumer.

But this is a board about cruising ...a delightful occupation.

So I will say in layman terms I don't like the policy NCL has inacted......okay with you?

I ain't happy with it either but as pointed out discounts are still available but not advertised.

I am not trying to get on your case...really:D

I have been trying to book an NCL cruise with some value and I am offered something I don't want or can't use in compensation for the extra bucks I am spending.

yes but in your insurance analogy in most states it is an illegal(criminal) act for an insurance agent to kick back part of his commission or offer any thing else of value to his customer--I have no quarrel with you trying to get the most for your buck, but I do think when you say "price-fixing" it should be accurate--enough already enjoy your cruise...

yes but in your insurance analogy in most states it is an illegal(criminal) act for an insurance agent to kick back part of his commission or offer any thing else of value to his customer--I have no quarrel with you trying to get the most for your buck, but I do think when you say "price-fixing" it should be accurate--enough already enjoy your cruise...

We will probably get poofed for this but what the heck....

No I cannot kick back...money or fluff.

But I always give something of value in my service to my clients.... I give them my time ,energy and my expertise.

I am appalled.

Archived