Snorkeling, Eden Rock vs Cemetery Beach

dst

Can anyone tell me if they have done either of these places, or which one you prefer? We are looking at doing some snorkeling in Grand Caymen and from what I can tell these are the two best places to do it on our own. We want to just hang out on the beach and snorkel......

If you know of any other places better then these I would welcome those as well.

Thanks for your help, these boards are a great resource icon_smile.gif

Generally, sandy beaches and good snorkeling do not occur together. You need the rocky structure for the coral to grow on and that is what attracts the fish.

Cemetery beach will be much less crowded and since it is further away from where the tenders dock, the coral should be in better condition.

Check this site shorediving.com for reviews and directions to many of the shore snorkel/dive sites on Grand Cayman, including the 2 you are asking about. If it was me, even though I haven't been to either, I would definitely choose Cemetery Beach. Eden Rock is just too close to Georgetown, and Georgetown is a complete zoo when there are more than 3 ships visiting.

<font color="FF6600">

if there's a way to construe my post as non-argumentative, please do so.</font>

Cruise photos on my Home page <font color="990066">

Spring Break was on the Grand Princess </font>21, March 2004

So when is the next cruise?

Hi

Done both . . . by far if you want the beach & breathe taking view experience . . . Cemetry beach is for you. Just remember there are no chairs, restrooms, food, etc.

However, the reef only about 400 feet out is beautiful . . . I even saw a solo stringray the last time we were there. We brought a little cooler & some towels & we were all set. Just remember to snorkel w/ a buddy.

Eden rock is just what it says "ROCK" no beach . . . & very commerical . . . there is some nice underwater views . . . but I would take above water & under water views at the cemetry beach anyday!!!!!

Enjoy

Laurie

Laurie:

Looks like cemetary beach it is......can you tell me if you took a taxi there and if it was reasonable, or should we rent a car???? I think we will pack a lunch and head there for the day.

Thanks so much for the info, we really appreciate it icon_biggrin.gif

One more vote for Cemetary Beach. It is far superior snorkeling to Eden Rock.

A cab will probably be cheaper and easier than a car. It's no more than a 15 min. drive to the cruise docks.

Hi

We took a cab to Cemetry beach . . . the drive isn't much more than 15 minutes. Just always ask for pricing before jumping into any cab!!!! I am sorry I dont remember the pricing . ..

Any way one time we were staying at one of the resorts on the island & had a car for the day, another time we were on a cruise ship & just took a taxi.

As I recall there isn't any room for parking . . . the "cemetry" is all you see from the road (& quite interesting I might add) there is a narrow sidewalk (path) running along the right side (edge of the cemetry) that will take you down to the beach . . . kind of an adventure!!

Enjoy!

Laurie

Laurie:

Thanks so much, I am looking forward to our adventure icon_smile.gif

Sounds like you know GC pretty well, if you have any other ideas of what we should not miss, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks Again, you have been a great help icon_smile.gif

Well . . . If you want to adventure around . . the Hyatt is a beautiful hotel to check out . . . however, not on the beach side. There is a lovely pool area you can have a drink at (Cayman does the strawberry/pina Colada well . . . 1/2 strawberry Dacquire & 1/2 Pina Colada) you will actually be in the same location as the movie "THE FIRM" was filmed.

Here is also the only place in the world you can buy & use the "Cayman" golf ball (someone got smart, cause these balls float!). They are golf balls with the dimples raised outward.

If you do get hungry the best kept secret is a little 50's diner called "Eats". It is located across from the Westin . . . & for the price of food on the Cayman this is a real deal for breakfast or lunch.

Another dining experience is @ "The Reef Grill" has wonderful seafood & try to get a table right out on the patio for the beutiful view.

Another idea is when you hit the port grab one of those realtor magazines . . . then as you drive up & down "7 mile" you will see FOR SALE signs & you can check out the prices. You would be amazed @ the list price on these homes $$ (remember you are only seeing the backs of these houses . . . the ocean views are awesome!

My experience has been the Cayman's are best seen underwater . . . my sister snuba dives & says some of her dives in Cayman were more colorful & exciting than the great barrier reef.

Lastly, read the other posts regarding your timing back to the ship. Around 2pm the roads get very busy .. . our experience has been to always wait to the last minute cause we just never want to leave. There is one inner road (no pavement, signs etc.) that does follow the same direction as the main road our cabbie once took to get us back for the last tender!!

Enjoy

Laurie

• 3 weeks later...

I have to put my 2cents in for Smith Cove, it is a fabulous little hideaway a few miles south of the port and last time we were docked with 2 ships, we were all alone. If you have a few hours, give it a try. If you look at the reviews, the snorkelling gets a 5! You may have to arrange for a cab pick-up , like we did, but its soooo close to miss.

Ricknlynn

mrrick747 -

Thanks for your 2cents, I think it may have been worth at least 25cents icon_smile.gif We will definately stop by Smith Cove.....it sounds perfect for what we are looking for!!! Thanks Again, I owe ya one icon_smile.gif

Deb

How far is the cab ride to smiths grove from the port? will it be difficult to get a cab back to the port? i am doing stingray city in the morning and just have a couple hours in the afternoon.. oh.. and how much will the taxi be each way?

Another vote for Smith's cove.

Its about 2-3 miles from the Port (guessing), but I don't know how much the cab fare would be. Its a pretty populated area, so you might be able to hail a cab, or you could arrange a pickup with the driver who takes you there.

Sensation 02/00

Norwegian Majesty 01/03

Paradise 05/18/03

Majesty of the Seas 9/15/03

Ghost Ship Imagination 1/29/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;1;29;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400

thnaks, the more I look the more I think we should rent a car, is it safe???? Then I could hit cemetary Beach and Smith's cove!

Thanks for all the information, its a big help icon_smile.gif

Its safe if you drive on the left side of the road...lol. I'm not really sure where the car rental places are in relation to the port, we used a car of someone we knew there. After taxi fees, it may be a good thought. The parking for Smith Cove is safe enough, Cemetary beach parking is basically just off the road but we never had any trouble .

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Rick, we have rented a car. I thinks its the best way to go, we plan on hitting cemetary reef and now Smiths cove. If you have any other must stops, please let us know....

As far as Smith'c Cove I believe its very rustice, no facilities.

Donna, I dont recall there being facilities at Smith Cove, but there is a small amount of easy beach access. Quaint and Cozy, without a doubt, the best place for beginner snorkelers. Because of the cove, there is less water movement. There is sun and shade , anyway...lol. Of the things to do in the Caymans, I have my favorites but its all a matter of taste.

Last time there we only did Smith Cove, mostly beacause we had a limited time in Port with a cruise. The swim with the stingrays is a must for the first timer! The turtle farm is an Ok visit, but dont get too excited, there just turtles and the place isnt that big. Also, on the western side of the island (where 7 mile beach is) up to the north is Hell,which amount to a couple stores selling "Hell" stuff and a backyard view of some freaky rock formations.

Travelling east from Georgetown there is a place called Bodden Town where someone has setup a backyard with some animals, birds, and an underground cave kinda thing with more of those goofy rocks! Not a "must see" but worth a laugh.

San Pedros Castle is more of a touristy place, very set-up, video show, very cool and if your into more of the historics, this would be the place for you. The kids will not be interested at all here.

Heading east still, past a left (a north road) there was a nice rocky retreat on the shoreline with steps leading down to splashing waves, I think it was called blowing holes or caves, something like that. The attraction here was part the rocks and part the vendor setup across the street. A local had setup a coconut stand and for a few buck set you up a coconut with a straw to take across the street with you. Cooool!! You take your pics , get wet and then bring your coconut back over and he peels it and wacks it open for you. This kinda of real taste of the Caymans makes it a great memory.

Back east and right on the north road there is a Botanical Garden, Nature walk, complete with your lizardy reptile walking amonst you. Its a nice stop and very interesting too.

The last place which comes to mind, which can be accessed by continuing up the north road, then when you reach the north shore, go left....(get a map) is Rum Point. Rum Point can also be accessed by ferry (check times) on the western side. There is usually a hammock open, drinks flowing and a party goin. A band or musician is often playing and a Parrot to entertain you as well. More rockin at nighttime but a place that people will ask you if youve been to.

My list #1 Any beach , anywhere

#2 Stingray trip

#3 Smith Cove, any snorkeling, anywhere on the island

#4 Rum Point, its where they go

#5 Coconut man, if hes there

#6 Botanical Garden

#7 Turtle farm (for the kids)

#8 San Pedro Castle, if your into this

#9 Hell, you can say you been there and back

#10 Bodden Caves, very campy, pass a buck to the locals

One final thought, before we went to Smith Cove, we made sure to stop at the Tortuga Store and picked up 8 bottles of Rum!

Hope this is helpful, Rick

From my experiences in Cayman in Jan. 04:

Got off the tender and walked to Eden rock (5 minute walk) saw some great fish, no coral at all since its all been destroyed. The workers were throwing food in the water which attracted very large fish. I was kind of scared actually!

We didn't stay long and took a taxi which fit about 10 people and they were all going to the public beach, the driver tried to make us get out too, but we insisted that we kept going to cemetary beach. I think it was about $8pp. The beach and snorkling is everything that people have said so far. I would go back in a second. We experienced a lot of sea lice, we brought little blow up air mats which we floated on and then it wasn't as bad.

There is a bathroom facility across the street from the cemetary now. We changed and sat for about 10 min...no taxis...so we walked about 15 min. down the road to some resort and they had to call a taxi for us. No biggie, it was a fun walk and we saw tons of iguanas!

Enjoy!

Archived