Shame of Norwegian

BOBfromNJ

I would love to know how RCI handled any of their own passengers after Sandy who couldn't cruise but didn't buy trip insurance. Probability says there must have been at least one family in the same exact situation with RCI--and I'm betting dollars to doughnuts Royal didn't give THEM a free cruise.

No matter how you slice it, NCL looks bad and RCCL looks good. I bet NCL would gladly pay $4000 to lose the unfavorable impression that is being cast.

For everyone that is saying insurance should have been purchased, how many thousands who suffered damage from sandy are lining up for free government money? Why didn't they have insurance? Same coin, different sides.

NCL doesn't look bad to me at all. They weren't responsible for the losses suffered and they followed their policy. If they broke the policy for one then they would set a precedent that insurance is not needed and the cruiseline will bail you out when you have a tragedy.... Not a good precedent to set with all the tragedies in the world that they cannot control and are not responsible for.

I wonder if RCCL will be willing to pay for everyone else who lost a cruise due to Sandy. Do it for one, shouldn't they do it for all? What makes this family so different and special from everyone else who suffered:confused: Come on RCCL play fair with everyone now, don't play favorites for a little TV PR time. I'm betting that is not going to happen.

I pay for insurance to protect me from loss from these tragedies. I've used that insurance due to a death in the family the day before a cruise. We used the insurance money to purchase a replacement cruise. Why did I have to pay for something RCCL just handed out someone else? No I'm not impressed with their actions at all. IMHO it has nothing to do with compassion and everything to do with publicity. It sets a precedent of entitlement for any family that suffers a loss and feels they now deserve to be made whole again by someone else rather than protecting themselves against that loss ahead of time. Another step in eliminating personal responsiblity in our country. What a shame....

I think that this is more of a story of RCCL doing something extraordinarily kind than of NCL doing anything wrong.

Extraordinary would have been for RCI to do that for EVERYONE who missed out on their cruise due to Sandy.....doing it for that one family was nothing more than an advertisement.

There are two different perspectives here

From the families perspective; they should have had insurance to protect themselves if the $4000 was a significant amount of money to them. All of us have to protect our own interests.

By the NCL's perspective; corporations like NCL have HR departments that establish missions, values, etc. These values guide companies in their PR efforts among other things. NCL has either neglected to do this properly or chose to ignore their values as no company in a service industry would do something like this intentionally.

Everyone one of us has the power to personally judge a company like NCL based on whatever we believe to be important. I will simply chose another company to do business with.

No matter how you slice it, NCL looks bad and RCCL looks good. I bet NCL would gladly pay $4000 to lose the unfavorable impression that is being cast.

For everyone that is saying insurance should have been purchased, how many thousands who suffered damage from sandy are lining up for free government money? Why didn't they have insurance? Same coin, different sides.

So because other people are doing it it is ok?

I had insurance and got some money back from the storm, certainly it did not make me whole but such is life.

I did not have property contents flood insurance only structure and that's my fault, I don't want a free handout for me being an idiot.

Don't see the comparison.

From the families perspective; they should have had insurance to protect themselves if the $4000 was a significant amount of money to them. All of us have to protect our own interests.

By the NCL's perspective; corporations like NCL have HR departments that establish missions, values, etc. These values guide companies in their PR efforts among other things. NCL has either neglected to do this properly or chose to ignore their values as no company in a service industry would do something like this intentionally.

Everyone one of us has the power to personally judge a company like NCL based on whatever we believe to be important. I will simply chose another company to do business with.

People who cruise suffer tragedies. That is why there is travel insurance. NCL can not and should not bail families out whenever they have a tragedy and have to miss a cruise but did not purchase insurance. It is not their responsibility, neither legally nor morally. It's like purchasing a car, not purchasing insurance, having your car totalled by a natural disaster, and expecting the car dealership to just give you another car.....why would anyone expect a car dealership to do that??? Would you stop going to that dealership because they didn't give that person a new car? Silly reasoning if you ask me.

The entire situation is tragic, many suffered losses from Sandy. I do feel compassion for the victims. It is tragic that people didn't have flood insurance, or trip insurance. It's a chance they take. The dice were rolled. They lost. It's unfortunate, but it happens every day. Run to the media, if they scream loud enough, blah, blah, blah. Seen it so many times before.

Here's the thing with "the media" though...you think you are getting the whole picture? An unbiased look at the situation? I'd like to see the "whole story"...Since ABC is a Disney company and Disney sails right out of NYC, doesn't it stand to reason that the first phone call for a "free cruise" would have gone to that head office? Guess Disney wasn't interested. Wonder why that part of the story didn't make the cut. As a "reporter", wouldn't you ask the "victim" if they had insurance? They can spin a story any way they want. It doesn't even need all the facts.

My original vocation was to be a photo-journalist...way back when you reported an unbiased look at events. Nowadays, all news is conjecture and editorial, and what counts as "news" now would have only been fodder for The National Enquirer 20 years ago.

Just sayin' ;) Now I'll file this thread in the "circular file" :)

Anyone who believes Royal Caribbean gave them a free cruise because they are "nicer" or "compassionate" is naive. They took advantage of a bad situation and got a lot of almost free publicity. Sorry but cruise lines are businesses, not your friend or your mom.

Another bit of information that seems to be purposely overlooked in this publicity grab by Royal.

Carnival donated TWO MILLION DOLLARS to four charities for aid to Sandy victims, and NCL gave free cruises to 150 affected mothers and their families over Mothers day on the Breakaway.

NO MENTION OF ROYAL DOING ANYTHING WAS MADE IN THIS ARTICLE.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2012/12/20/carnival-norwegian-hurricane-sandy/1782139/

NCL has certainly made a bad impression with me on how they handled this situation and Royal Caribbean has made a good impression. I prefer companies that put customer service first and will keep that in mind when booking.

Well put - you can "talk" with your dollars. That's the American way. I personally believe the family should have had insurance - period. In no way do I blame NCL. I'm also pretty sick and tired of entitled people (not you, poster). Makes me want to move somewhere else.

Couldn't agree more with the need for insurance in this case.

Was also waiting for when the Tea Party button would be pushed with full force... and here's our winner!

You're right about insurance - your incredibly wrong about me being part of the Tea Party. Pennington2 - ignorance must be bliss for you.

NCL has certainly made a bad impression with me on how they handled this situation and Royal Caribbean has made a good impression. I prefer companies that put customer service first and will keep that in mind when booking.

Wouldn't you think that NCL giving away 150 cruises to affected mothers AND THEIR FAMILIES is better customer service than giving cruises to six affected people and two guests ??

If you look beyond the smoke and mirrors, you may see a different picture. Refer to my previous post regarding the cruises NCL has given Sandy victims.

Also, don't forget that Royal left 130 people in San Juan and would do NOTHING for them.

You make your own choices, but facts are facts.

Though NCL wasn't obligated to refund the money, this story getting press attention is bad for NCL. Bad press is bad press (even when NCL did nothing wrong) and reflects poorly upon a company. Look at Carnival for an (extreme) example.

I understand why they would refuse, though. If they placate one family they would have to address everyone affected by the event.

Another bit of information that seems to be purposely overlooked in this publicity grab by Royal.

Carnival donated TWO MILLION DOLLARS to four charities for aid to Sandy victims, and NCL gave free cruises to 150 affected mothers and their families over Mothers day on the Breakaway.

NO MENTION OF ROYAL DOING ANYTHING WAS MADE IN THIS ARTICLE.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2012/12/20/carnival-norwegian-hurricane-sandy/1782139/

So RCCL has done nothing. Carnival donated millions. NCL offered 150 people to board the new Breakaway when it hits NYC. News Station bought 8 people a cruise on RCCL.

I'm still trying to figure out why the family didn't take the NCL cruise?

Really bad publicity for Norwegian Cruise,[/font]

What is bad publicity is 1/2 truths and the people that carry on promoting inaccurate stories. It's shameful of the media for sensationalizing a story such as this and leaving out the most important part of the story, the part where these folks flat out say, NO I don't want insurance - i.e. I am willing to take the risk at my own expense and then complain when something happened. Insurance is always offered, if not often added on automatically. The buyer has to flat out agree to not buy it and take personal responsibility. Report the entire truth, not just the part that stirs the pot.

Archived