Flight from Ft. Lauderdale question.

hoppelk

We are booked on a 10 day Coral princess cruise in 1/06. Delta is currently offering some very nice prices and I feel the time to buy is now. They have a very convenient 11:30 leaving FLL and arriving in Syracuse in early evening on Monday 1/23/06. How busy will the airport be on Monday morning for departures? If we were to get early departure from the Coral, get a porter to expedite customs, and a taxi to the airport, can we make the 11:30? Thanks in advance for your help. This board is fantastic!!!!

ABC News recently reported that traffic at the Fll aiport will be UP by 25% this summer. That means more pressure on TSA security, airline ground personnel, ground transportation, etc. The city council is even exploring ways to restrict cruiser traffic through their airport since cruisers usually don't spend enough to support the airport and community.

For a Monday in January, I would think that the 11:30AM departure should just be fine. You might want to just check to see what-other ships are in port that day, but being a Monday, I'm guessing that it'll be few if any.

As for Ft. Lauderdale trying to restrict cruise passengers at the airport, that's the proverbial "shooting the goose that laid the golden egg" as FLL is not a major business-traveler airport (and it is business travelers that bring the most money to travel). I would love to see personally how they will decipher who is a cruise passenger or not. Also the city council's thought of cruise passengers not spending enough is not accurate....all passengers pay the same airport charges & taxes, there is no distinction between passenger type. And then if you restrict cruise passengers, what happens to the money pumped in to the taxi drivers that take you to the port, & the proverbial snow-ball effect? It seems like another classic moment of government talking before thinking.

But in terms of that 25% spike in traffic, that is happening nation-wide this summer. In fact, I saw it first hand at Dulles this week while I was traveling on business. It seemed that every--other flight was overbooked and the terminals were swarming with tourists.

jeff

Jeff. I was surprised that there was no mention of traffic increases at Miaimi airport. From chatter I've heard, the emphasis would be placed on airlines to increase fares to Fll to match Miami, to discourage those Miami cruisers from using Fll.

Cruisers minimally contribute to the tourist hotel and restaurant business compared to destination vacationers. Probably nothing will come of it just like the Key West city council wanting to reduce the number of cruisers visiting for a few hours.

I guess if I owned a half million dollar condo near the pier on KW I would find the mass of cruisers a nuisance too.

You should have no problem. Princess will give you a form to fill out with your departure plans. Your early flight will earn you the first debarkation time, you'll be one of the few getting your luggage and going through customs (a breeze unless you buy out the islands). Taxis are waiting and the airport is about 10 minutes away.

Archived