An explanation?

davidmele

I would like to know who made that atrocity as well.

Sure it makes the ships notable but at what cost.

Actually Joe Farcus who designs the interiors of Carnival's ship also designed the funnel starting with the Tropicale back in the early eighties. I don't find it to be bad at all and as a matter of fact it functions quite well to keep most of the soot off of the decks with the wings.

You can see a Carnival ship miles away because of this design. It looks like a whale tail to me from a distance but to each his own.

In the ports, I always compare the ships of other lines. What I have noticed is that ships other than Carnival's have anywhere from a dozen or more different sized stacks up there. It is quite unsightly. How clever of Carnival to design this fantail that would camoflauge the stacks while taking the exhausts up and away from us passengers(diesel dust, trash incenerator smoke, kitchen exhausts, laundry, sewer gases, ect.)

Of course, as someone previosly mentioned, you'll never have trouble spotting the Carnival fleet.

I would like to know who made that atrocity as well.

Sure it makes the ships notable but at what cost.

Eric, we know you dont like Carnival, but most people, even the ones that dont care for Carnival, like the whale tail.

More whale tail info

http://www.brntwdmagazine.com/nov.dec.02/design/design-1.html

Though trained as an architect, Farcus has evolved into a multitalented hybrid, a designer whose ability to imagine and decorate interior spaces is augmented by his training in the creation of structures. The cruise line refers to him as the fleet’s interior architect, but that’s hardly all he does. Only the hull, the bridge, safety requirements and other technical aspects of a ship’s construction are beyond his purview. He creates the look of the superstructure and other exterior features, including Carnival’s signature winged “whale tail” smokestack (called the “Farcus Funnel” within the company; designed in 1982 for the Tropicale, Carnival’s first purpose-built ship, and repeated on every ship since). Working to requirements provided by management, he also carves up a ship’s interior into the requisite public rooms and cabins. But once those dreary details have been dealt with and approved, Farcus really goes to work. “Joe is responsible for every square inch of space on board,” says a Carnival spokesman. That includes every carpet design, each tile, and every work of art and piece of furniture. And if that bothers architectural purists, consider the furniture design of Frank Lloyd Wright and Frank Gehry.

Eric, we know you dont like Carnival, but most people, even the ones that dont care for Carnival, like the whale tail.

This has nothing to do with me disliking Carnival. Even if Carnival was my choice of cruise line I would still think that the whale's tale is ugly. I like ships with a sleek design, with good lines and curves. In my opinion (this is my opinion) I think the whales tail is a big bulky object that diminishes the emphasis on the actual ship design. RCCL signature is the Viking Crown Lounge. Not only does it add to the look of the ship but it is also a functional lounge.

I too think that the distince carnival funnel is way cool. I like how it "unifies" the entire fleet.I also think that it is very sleek, and totally adds to a ship's " overall coolness" . Its not bulky at all! Take a look at the Costa Fortuna, Magica, or Tropicale. Thoes are all Carnival ships , and they look totally awkward without the trademark Farcus Funnel

dave

Take a look at the Costa Fortuna, Magica, or Tropicale. Thoes are all Carnival ships , and they look totally awkward without the trademark Farcus Funnel
Well, in my opinion Carnival ships look awkward no matter what. What's with the flat top decks, they could do so much with that space but in my opinion it is waisted.

Imagine a Submarine periscope up and looking at a Ship 12 miles away, Captain yells, "All ahead Full rudder", "Open torpedo tubes 3 and 4, all Torpedos armed and Ready.:cool:

The Captain says WAIT !!!:eek: , its a Freakin Carnival Ship I can tell that Funnel anywhere LOL.

The Ship is spared and lives on to sail another day :)

The only thing the Farcus did wrong was the dining room on the Miracle.

ok...but that was enough, wouldn't you say?...EEK! :eek:

I hope that years from now when they put that ship in dry dock for refurbishing, that the dining room lights are the first thing to be torn out of there.

Imagine a Submarine periscope up and looking at a Ship 12 miles away, Captain yells, "All ahead Full rudder", "Open torpedo tubes 3 and 4, all Torpedos armed and Ready.:cool:

The Captain says WAIT !!!:eek: , its a Freakin Carnival Ship I can tell that Funnel anywhere LOL.

The Ship is spared and lives on to sail another day :)

OK:rolleyes:

This has nothing to do with me disliking Carnival. Even if Carnival was my choice of cruise line I would still think that the whale's tale is ugly. I like ships with a sleek design, with good lines and curves. In my opinion (this is my opinion) I think the whales tail is a big bulky object that diminishes the emphasis on the actual ship design. RCCL signature is the Viking Crown Lounge. Not only does it add to the look of the ship but it is also a functional lounge.

The funnel beats the heck out of the rear spoiler ...errr... Skywalker Lounge on the Princess ships. :D

Archived