Anyone ever have a medical emergency on RCI?

We were on Serenade last May coming from Hawaii and had a crew medical emergency. Took about a day for the coast guard to come out and meet us wiht a helicopter. Brought down the basket and the crew member was brought up to the helicopter and then on to San Francisco for some surgery. It was need to see how they actually get passengers (or crew) off the ship. I always thought the helicopter actually landed on the helipad --- but it seems they cannot. They has sent some airforce jets out to guard the ship as we were making an unscheduled stop.

Wouldn't want to have to paid that medical bill!!

I'm happy to say I have not had a medical emergancy on a cruise. Sorry to those of you who have, it's just not right!

I have a question, some of you mentioned getting reimbursed by your private health insurance (HMO's or whatever). Has anyone had a problem getting reimbursed?

Thanks! MAO

Having worked for a Health Insurance Company - All I can offer is this.

1. In most cases they will treat this as OUT OF NETWORK - so what ever the beneffits are for that - 70/30 they should pay the 70%. If you have Travel Insurance and someone said AAA + - you might get them to pick up the difference. I would check with your insurance provider.

2. Health Insurance might pay for trips to the Infirmary etc - but medical evauation -

AAA Plus, Travel Insurance, Amex Insurance etc is the way to go.

I'm happy to say I have not had a medical emergancy on a cruise. Sorry to those of you who have, it's just not right!

I have a question, some of you mentioned getting reimbursed by your private health insurance (HMO's or whatever). Has anyone had a problem getting reimbursed?

Thanks! MAO

My health insurance at the time of my injury wouldn't cover any injuries that occured out of the country, so I had to eat the costs. I learned to always check with my insurance to make sure that I am covered before I go on vacation and I now travel with travel insurance that covers medical expenses.

Medicare never covers outside the US. Some supplemental policies may but not Medicare.(there is one exception but it has to do with someone who lives near the US border and the foreign hospital is closer to their house than one in the US)

I was on the Voyager 5/7/05. My brother in law got very ill, couldn;t breathe, had a high fever. Medical personnel were very efficient and able to handle the sickness. They were equipt to do exrays and blood tests, hooked him up to IV with antibiotics and a prescription for the rest of the trip. After a day and a half he was back in business. The bill was $ 810.00.

Archived