Sitka Excursion - Tlingit Tour & Raptor Center

pumpkinlady

Hello. This board has been useful in planning excursions for our first Alaska cruise on Infinity this August. Now I have a question about an excursion in Sitka that I haven't read anything about so far.

The excursion is called Tlingit Tribal Tour & Sitka Raptor Center; I found it on www.alaska-shore-excursions.com (through Port Reviews.com link); it's offered by a company called Shore Trips. Cost is $69, which is cheaper than a similar excursion offered by the ship. It doesn't say how long it is or what time it starts - looks like I have to contact them for more info. Here's a summary of what's included:

• Guided by native tour guide - history of Tlingits & Russian settlement; travel through town & outlying areas to get to...
  • Sitka National Historical Park Visit to Interpretive Center - see small museum, native artisans, & totems
  • Visit Sheldon Jackson Museum - artifacts from various Alaskan native peoples
  • Tlingit native dance performance in the Clan House by Naa Kahidi Dancers
  • Tour of Raptor Center

Has anyone used this company before? If so, how did you like their tours and would you recommend them?

The excursion that's similar to this from the ship (w/o Jackson museum) is 3 1/2 hrs, so I'd expect this to be about the same amount of time.

We'd also like to be able to have time to walk around Sitka that day (we're in port from 8 AM to 4 PM).

I'd appreciate any comments anyone has about this trip. Thanks!

Sitka is a small town and a tender port. It was rainy the day I was there, and I took my laundry with me and did it at a little hotel along the main street, (sign in the front window..public laundry) and they offered me FREE storage until late afternoon.

I have a Golden National Park Pass, so I didn't pay anything to get into the National Park, so can't tell you the cost there. However, I am not a youngester, and I WALKED to the Park (end of town--about a mile), I walked through the park, saw most of the totems, and there is a back exit, across a little bridge, up a slight hill and you are at the Raptor Center. I don't recall the cost there, but maybe $15.00???.

I walked back into town, shopped for a few post cards, etc., took many photos of the church, picked up my laundry at the little hotel (gave the gal at the desk a tip for keeping it for me), slung it over my shoulder and walked back to the pier and boarded my tender.

Unless you have difficulty walking, all of Sitka can be done in a few hours without paying excursion dollars to do it.

Hi Pumpkin Lady,

I can't tell you about the tours but the day we were in Sitka you couldn't turn around without seeing an eagle in the trees or flying right above you!

I also walked to the park and the Sheldon Jackson museum is also very close.

I must say if you go to Sitka after Ketchikan you will have seen your fill of Totems! Just my opinion of course :)

http://www.sitkatribal.com/

Book them direct and cut out the middle men who know nothing about these tours except the commission. :) AND especially consider bringing a unique pin from your home and give it to your guide. They wear a wonderful "United Nations" jacket, promoting world wide unity. :)

Budget Queen,

Thanks for your reply. I didn't know they were a middleman; have no problem going direct, since I've already done that in booking our trips w/Capt. Larry & Island Wings. I emailed Sitka Tribal for more info on prices, times, etc.

Now I have another question for you, since it sounds like you've done some touring with this group. Is this worthwhile for a first-timer Alaska visitor? Or better to do these things individually?

I realize from the maps I have that Sitka is walkable & easy to get around. I chose this tour because it seemed to combine things that hubby & I want to see - Raptor Center (priority for him), the park (both) & info on native culture w/tribal guide (me). Figured this is the way to get my history "fix", since I won't have time to do a Saxman tour in Ketchikan (after Island Wings, I want to spend time seeing the town).

Thanks for your thoughts. By the way, the pin idea is interesting. I guess I'll have to look for a replica of the Liberty Bell for them - we live near Phila.:)

I go independent in Sitka but the guides are authentic and give a wonderful tour of their home. If you want the commentary rather than a "map", this is superior. :)

Ask them if they still wear their jackets, unfortunately I haven't been there in a few years and it's always best to verify current trends.

Archived