Possible new cruise terminal at Puerto Penasco

I was reading about his on another thread. I think it is geared more for passengers from Mexico then U. S. cruisers. U.S. cruisers would need to have a passport to cross over to Mexico to board. Since a lot of people will not sail to Mexico from the U.S., I don't think there would be that many willing to drive into Mexico for a cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1837717&highlight=new+mexico+port

We sure would. We could drive there easily and since we already have passports for other trips, that is not an issue. I think they would be very successful with the Arizona market. Hope this comes through. JMO :)

Seems like a pretty small market to use, unless they're going to convince alot of Phoenix area people to drive to Mexico. Also would have to be some "invent a port" done to have any real routes on that run. Not that the lines haven't engaged in "invent a port" in the Yucatan

I was reading about his on another thread. I think it is geared more for passengers from Mexico then U. S. cruisers. U.S. cruisers would need to have a passport to cross over to Mexico to board. Since a lot of people will not sail to Mexico from the U.S., I don't think there would be that many willing to drive into Mexico for a cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1837717&highlight=new+mexico+port

No passport is required to cross the border into Mexico - there are alternatives. A cruise line could offer transfers from US cities like Tucson, Phoenix, etc.

Seems like a pretty small market to use, unless they're going to convince alot of Phoenix area people to drive to Mexico. Also would have to be some "invent a port" done to have any real routes on that run. Not that the lines haven't engaged in "invent a port" in the Yucatan

The cruise lines depend a lot on Houstonians and other Texicans to drive to Galveston - not sure there is a big difference there. OTOH, Houston built a cruise port that took years to convince a cruise line to agree to use. Who knows?

But a visa is required for Mexico when driving past the 21K mark.

And a visa costs what? I would definitely take out Mexican Insurance if driving, but suspect someone would start a shuttle service from the US side.

Anyway, Rocky Point is still cheaper than San Diego.

It would be great to have a port so close to Phoenix. Saves me hundreds of dollars if I don't have to fly to Florida. I wonder what ports a cruise from Rocky Point would visit?

Are you a Piano Bar Lover? You will have Marty Gast on you Freedom cruise he is great! If you went into the Piano Bar on the Splendor on 6-12 cruise I think he was still on the Splendor at that time.

Grouchpuss, thanks for the FB link. It will be a nice alterntive to the mexican riveria itinerary.

Thanks for the tip for my upcoming cruise. I will definitely check out the piano bar--it can be such a great time with the right performer. :)

You do not need one to get to Rocky Point.

You most certainly do. Anyone crossing the border, other than just in Nogales for the day, must have a visa. You might get by without one, but if you're stopped by the police for any reason, especially an accident, you better be able to produce a visa.

The visa cost starts at about $14 for a week. I have a resident FM2 visa, which is good for a year and is a level above the regular visas. I think it's about $40 for a six-month tourist visa. Also, you must turn in the visa when you leave the country. There are penalties involved if you don't turn it in and re-enter later. You will be in the system and they will know.

Don't drive in Mexico without auto insurance, either. There already are several bus lines that go from Phoenix and Tucson down to Guaymas, so I'm guessing there may be one that goes to Rocky Point, also. If not, there will be in the future.

Archived