Navigation problems with Carnival/P&O.

AchileLauro

We are booked on Ventura for a Mediterranean cruise in August (N321) and last week we received an email from P&O informing us of changes of itinerary which actually didn’t really bother us too much. The reason that P&O gave for the changes was unexploded ordnance at Palau. Being curious I did an internet search after all our cruise wasn’t due till August so it had to be something special if it was going to take all that time for the port authorities to deal with it. The result that I came up with was http://trltd.com/cms/2013/03/japanese-team-to-remove-unexploded-bombs-in-palau/

This refers to a sunken WW2 ammunition ship in the Republic of Palau and not Palau in Sardinia. So I emailed P&O asking them politely if a mistake has been made, in fact I have emailed them twice now with no reply. Perhaps they are too busy to answer as they are searching for their world atlas.

I’ve heard of being cautious after all the Costa Concordia was a couple of miles off course when the side of her was ripped out on rocks but avoiding a hazard to shipping 10,000 miles away on the other side of the globe is taking it just a little too far. There again the Americans are well known as not being very good at world geography.

Incidentally I notice that P&O have not updated their website and are still selling the cruise based on the old itinerary.

I am on this cruise as well, and the change of itinerary is very much to my liking.

Palau is the most boring port I have ever visited in 20 years of cruising. It exists mainly (wholly?) as a ferry terminal for ferries between Sardinia and Corsica and apart from the ferry terminal there is very little there, just a few shops and a couple of cafes. You can see all there is to see in half an hour. Its replacement Alghero however is a wonderful old town with loads of character.

Sad to see Cartegena go as it too is a characterful place. I have never been to its replacement Malaga so am looking forward to visiting it, by all accounts it is a beautiful and lively city with plenty to see and do.

So personally I welcome both changes.

Just googled it.

apparently there is unexploded ordnance on the bottom off Palau Sardinia. Anchoring is not allowed and on the original itinery it was a tender port.

The berths are for ferries only and are not long enough.

Just googled it.

apparently there is unexploded ordnance on the bottom off Palau Sardinia. Anchoring is not allowed and on the original itinery it was a tender port.

The berths are for ferries only and are not long enough.

It is wonderful what a piece of misinformation can do. :cool:

Good spot Dave

Gan Canny

Dai

I would have been surprised if there wasn't any unexploded ordnance in the area after all a lot of action took place in the Med during the last war, but I still think that Carnival have confused the two PaLaus as their lack of response is deafening. I did ask them politely if an error had possibly been made confusing the two. It definitely wasn't listed as a tender port originally. My internet searches only brought up the major problem in the western Pacific and a search for hazards to navigation off Sardinia also didn't bring up any more information. I still think it would have been nice of P&O to simply reply to a inquiry.

As it is the revised itinerary suits us fine.

We're on this cruise too.

Malaga is a nice enough place, with a nice beach and new development by the harbour with restaurants, shops etc. As well as the city.

But we have been there twice now, and was rather looking forward to trying Cartagena - it's always sounded like a nice place to go.

Not really fussed about the Palau/Alghero as haven't been to either. In fact, I think we were meant to go to Alghero a few years back, but it was cancelled due to bad weather.

Reassuring to hear that Alghero is nicer than Palau though :)

Archived