Getting to 2 step snorkel spot in Kona

avalon007

Renting a car would be your best option. A taxi would be very, very expensive. You are right...the public transportion is very sparse and not overly reliable. You might be able to negotiate with a taxi driver to hire them for the day so you can go where you wish. Or, the only other option would be to either arrange a private tour with a tour company or join a snorkeling tour that would take you where they want to go!!

Only other option would be to book a LONG Place of Refuge tour stop (several hours) and just exit for snorkeling. You would HAVE to return on time etc.

Otherwise a car rental is necessary.

Thanks for the replies.

We are only there for a day on a cruise & I was hoping to do a morning snorkel at 2 step, followed by the afternoon 2pm tour of the seahorse farm.

The ship offers tours, the snorkel is with Body Glove & goes to Red Hill, but there isn't much info on if Red Hill is equal to Kealakekua Bay & 2 step?

I know there are other similar snorkel tours but they all leave at 9am & the ship arrives at 8am & after tender time etc I don't feel we have enough of a safety net not to possibly miss the departure time of 9am unless we are on the ships tour.

Plus all these tour type snorkel trips are quite expensive wether you book through the ship or not.

The seahorse farm has set tour times of 12 noon & 2pm & the organised snorkel tours arrive back at 1.30 leaving little time to get off & make our way to the farm in time for 2pm.

The seahorse farm doesn't look too far out of town, anyone know the drive time?

Ideally I would like to get a group together from our roll call to hire a mini van for the day as suggested, we did this in NZ & it worked out well.

Any suggestions for reputable van hire & approx. hourly rates?

Thanks. :)

The seahorse farm is about 10 minutes down the highway from the cruise tender boat pier. Once you turn off the highway, there is another bit of distance to travel on a bumpy road down toward the ocean and the farm. The problem would not be getting to the seahorse farm, but possibly getting back in the late afternoon. Traffic back into town can be dense at that time of day as folks leave work at the big resorts outside of town and head back home. Some cruise lines offer tours to the seahorse farm which include transportation. Might be worth it.

The seahorse farm is about 10 minutes down the highway from the cruise tender boat pier. Once you turn off the highway, there is another bit of distance to travel on a bumpy road down toward the ocean and the farm. The problem would not be getting to the seahorse farm, but possibly getting back in the late afternoon. Traffic back into town can be dense at that time of day as folks leave work at the big resorts outside of town and head back home. Some cruise lines offer tours to the seahorse farm which include transportation. Might be worth it.

Thanks for the heads up on the traffic.

Yes the ship does do a seahorse tour which we would be happy to do, but I think it's the 12noon one which sort of messes up the ability to snorkel any distance from town in the morning.

I will have to try & confirm that for sure.

The ship departs at 6pm so that means back onboard by 5.30pm although we always prefer to board an hour before departure & tenders do take longer to get back onboard of course so 5pm is more realistic.

Ho hum, back to the drawing board! :)

Maybe a snorkel close to town will be the better option.

What's walking distance (15 minutes) from the pier that is good to snorkel?

Thanks.

Thanks for the heads up on the traffic.

Yes the ship does do a seahorse tour which we would be happy to do, but I think it's the 12noon one which sort of messes up the ability to snorkel any distance from town in the morning.

I will have to try & confirm that for sure.

The ship departs at 6pm so that means back onboard by 5.30pm although we always prefer to board an hour before departure & tenders do take longer to get back onboard of course so 5pm is more realistic.

Ho hum, back to the drawing board! :)

Maybe a snorkel close to town will be the better option.

What's walking distance (15 minutes) from the pier that is good to snorkel?

Thanks.

I see little issue with you getting both interests in. Key would be to get off the ship as soon as it clears, pick up your car and drive to Place of Refuge area, be CERTAIN to understand the directions. You follow the way into the National park, BUT turn right before getting to the toll booths. Drive to the ocean, you are there. Will be a lot of people there. Snorkel an hour or two, then drive back. No issue with getting back prior to noon.

Head to the Seahorse Farm, tour, gas up, turn back in the car.

Despite the above claiming it isn't such a good idea, I don't see any problem. I have spent a lot of time in Kona, at least 6 cruise ship stops, (port closed one trip) where I ALWAYS have rented a car, along with a couple land trips.

Budget Queen....I never said this was not a good idea. I was just pointing out the realities of Kona traffic. I believe the OP does NOT want to rent a car, so we were all just brainstorming to come with other ways for him to get to everything he wants to see and do in Kona. It's a fabulous port with too much to see and do.

Budget Queen....I never said this was not a good idea. I was just pointing out the realities of Kona traffic. I believe the OP does NOT want to rent a car, so we were all just brainstorming to come with other ways for him to get to everything he wants to see and do in Kona. It's a fabulous port with too much to see and do.

Traffic- I'm a New Yorker with far more traffic, so coming from a different perspective.

Yes there were lines at traffic lights, waits for turns, BUT traffic kept moving. I found it insignificant and with all my trips there, including the single day trips, I never was stuck in any traffic, or not able to get back on the ship.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

It is correct we prefer NOT to rent a car, we find driving on what we consider the 'wrong' side of the road not very relaxing (we have lived in the country for 12 years were traffic is really non existent compared to cities) & we don't want the hassles of wondering were to keep the car keys safe whilst snorkelling etc.

So I'm thinking the mini van for the day with a group of others from our roll call is probably the best option.

But trying to find any companies that do this online isn't that easy. Anyone know a reputable taxi company that can be booked online prior to arriving in Kona?

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

It is correct we prefer NOT to rent a car, we find driving on what we consider the 'wrong' side of the road not very relaxing (we have lived in the country for 12 years were traffic is really non existent compared to cities) & we don't want the hassles of wondering were to keep the car keys safe whilst snorkelling etc.

So I'm thinking the mini van for the day with a group of others from our roll call is probably the best option.

But trying to find any companies that do this online isn't that easy. Anyone know a reputable taxi company that can be booked online prior to arriving in Kona?

Nobody on the roll call will drive? Have you already found people, who are interested in BOTH Two Step and the Seahorse Farm? You may have trouble getting more than another couple.

This is going to be VERY costly if you are looking for a driver, as it would not be worthwhile for them to leave you at Two Step, wait time is money. IF your choice, then just contact taxi companies, should be easy to find with google. Or find through the airport listing, perhaps.

avalon007...your day is definitely doable no matter what kind of transportation you use. I only mentioned Kona traffic because it is a reality. Hopefully you can find folks who think this would be a fun day also. I think you will.

Budget Queen....trust me...I know traffic. I was born and raised and lived the first 40 years of my life just a few miles outside of NYC. I then moved to Houston....talk about jumping from the frying pan into the fire trafficwise!!! Then I lived on Oahu....which was recently named to have the worst traffic in America. I was in Kona today running errands. Seems like every time I drive over there, there are more and more cars on the road. Guess it is just a sign of the times. I think that is why I like cruising so much. I let someone else do the driving.

Thanks for the replies.

I have had a breakthrough with the planning as RCCL have loaded the tours specific to our cruise date it seems in the last day or so, they are doing the Seahorse Farm tour at 10am, so this great news as if we do their tour it then leaves us free for the afternoon to do as we want.

Costs a little more maybe than DIY but take into account the taxi fare & entry then it isn't much more for the convenience.

Will now see what I can sort out for snorkelling in the afternoon.:)

Archived