QE2 dvd

FoghornLeghorn

I wanted to read the book QE2 by Ronald Warwick. When I went to our library to pick it up, I found a DVD called Superliners Twilight of an Era.

Having read many of your stories and love of the QE2, I had to check it out. It was fascinating!

You can buy it at Amazon and the National Geographic page.

Some of the highlights of the QE2:

• Filming during a 1979 crossing
  • Interview with Captain Douglas Ridley (spelling?)
  • a statement in an interview: Launched in 1967 QE2 is probably the last superliner that will ever be built
  • A drill testing the water tight doors
  • Dog grooming on board
  • The staterooms
  • The Captain and Pilot running from side to side (outside) trying to dock in NY in rough waters

Also shows some Meet and Greets with the Captain....wonder if any of these people are on CC today? :)

The majority is about QE2, but there are sections about The Queen Mary, The Queen Elizabeth and The Normandie.

Shows the Queen Elizabeth painted in her battle gray and talks about her secret voyage during the war.

Talks about the Captains of the QM and QE receiving sealed envelopes on March 8, 1967 that they were to open and read to their crew....announcing the ships would cease to sail.

Also shows the fire on The Normandie and it lying on its side.

I really enjoyed hearing more about these amazing ocean liners and finally getting to see real footage of them (not just photos)

I'm sure a lot of you have seen this...but, to some of us newer cruisers, I thought it might be interesting to see.

:)

Archived