Beach stop(s) or Snorkel cruise etc.

We're looking for a relaxing and not too expensive day on St. Maarten. We've got a fair amount of time (boat is docked 8-5) so that gives us some options. We rented a car last time here, and aren't apposed to it if it makes the best since money wise.

We can't seem to find a snorkel & beach cruise for less that $60pp (Mirabella w/ mixed reviews, and have also read that snorkeling isn't top notch anyway) and didn't really want to spend quite that much.

For the morning, we're thinking about hitting Mullet Bay, as it sounds like a nice beach to relax for a bit. Food seems available as well as an umbrella if we want it.

1. Would a taxi or bus be better for getting to Mullet Bay?

Maho Beach is nearby, and it would be pretty cool to see the planes coming in low and maybe get jet blasted on take off for giggles.

2. Is Maho within walking distance (like less than a mile) of Mullet. It looks to be, but unsure about road walking safety.

3. Are there other beaches around that are worth a look. I enjoy paddling a kayak around and have a waterproof camera that I may snorkel with if I find some decent snorkeling.

4. Anything else "don't miss" type stuff?

We do plan on spending some time in Philipsburg for a the pirate bar before heading back to the boat.

Input is welcome!

JM

Archived