Which insurance choice?

mouseRD

Just booked our first cruise with RCI Independence of the Seas for Feb 2014! Fairly young - 50 & 52 and healthy.

Purchased cruise insurance at time of booking cruise. Have not booked flight yet.

Here is my question:

I've been reviewing companies with InsureMyTrip.com; I like the TravelGuard Gold as well as the Insure Assist TravCan Premier. Want good Medic Vac option as well as other coverages; still not sure about the "cancel for any reason option"; it's expensive & the guidelines are confusing (? still need to cancel 48 hrs before the trip, etc.).

The cruise trip insurance coverages offers a 75 % credit toward a future cruise if you cannot make the trip (no 48 hr notification needed) that has to be used within a year & has blackouts, so don't know how valuable that would be, but it least it is something in the event one would have to cancel at the spur of the moment (unlikely, but always a possibility).

So do I keep the trip insurance we've purchased ($159 each/$318 total) or consider Travel Guard Gold ($273 total for both without cancel for any reason (almost $400 with that option for 50 % return) or TravCan Premier - $258 for both + $130 for optional Cancel for any reason (70 % for first $10,000); both would be about the same cost; I think TravCan slightly better coverage. Neither offers any compensation if the Cancel for any reason isn't purchased & the reason for cancellation is not an approved one. Again, the cruise line offers the 75% toward a future cruise, but not sure how beneficial that really is. Cruise line is significantly lower for medivac & medical benefit.

What do you think would be the better option?

The cruise trip insurance coverages offers a 75 % credit toward a future cruise if you cannot make the trip (no 48 hr notification needed) that has to be used within a year & has blackouts, so don't know how valuable that would be, but it least it is something in the event one would have to cancel at the spur of the moment (unlikely, but always a possibility).

Be aware that the above applies ONLY IF you cancel for a reason not otherwise covered by the plan. If you cancel for a covered reason (i.e. fall down and break your leg the day before you leave) you're reimbursed 100% of your loss in cash.

Have you called either of the companies? When I was choosing the insurance for my next cruise I called my top three companies. Travel Guard was able to customize my insurance adding coverage for the areas I felt were the most important.

Archived