Revamped Carnival Sunshine facing problems in maiden voyage

After reading all the posts on this topic I have come to the conclusion that Carnival should not have sailed this ship. Initially I minimized the situation, I was wrong. All of the problems are Carnivals problems as they are the purchaser and overseer of the project. These problems could have and should have been avoided by Carnival.

Once again, Carnival is making their problems, passenger problems...

DDD - do you think these issues would have happened at any ship in Italy, or is it this particular one? Also I'm on the June 7th sailing in a spa interior on deck 10, which is one of the cabins that was just added, any ideas if all the new cabins have issues, or just some. Also any ideas how long you think it's going to take to get everything up and running? I'm so disappointed how so many of those worker conducted themselves, my father migrated to Australia in his 20's and has worked at a tiler for many years, and one of the things I respect most about him is his hard work ethic, pride in his work and his honesty. I have to say I'm embarrassed as to how they have represented themselves, and their country - it's just completely disgraceful.

I think the man made problems would have happened on any ship there with the same workforce and numbers. The problems with the ship? That's ship specific for sure. I can't decide if the management were smart or stupid for deciding to carry out their biggest renovation in their history on the Destiny first. Without a doubt, it would be the worst of the bunch to do, take the longest and be the hardest with the most problems arising, simply due to the lack of information as to how it really is in the first place to be able to plan and predict things. Straight away that makes every other ship they have planned for the same treatment a much quicker and easier affair.

Any problem to arise was always going to arise on that ship... it's just how it is, within the crew on carnival it's called the Death Star... like lots of others, I've no real understanding as to why it has the reputation it has. Sure it's frustrating to work on, when you create a system on existing cabling and then find out that the cables that exist aren't what the paperwork says, but it's not a death trap or an unsafe vessel I promise you.

For those who have booked it, I'd like to say that of ALL carnival ships I've been on, the crew there are exceptional, I don't know what it is or why, but they have some kind of extra bond and energy to getting the job done and they never ever seem to lose faith in each other.

Perfect example of this? The day before we sailed they had their dry dock completion party cancelled, after all their efforts for nearly 3 months of living through hell their reward was removed. Despite this, an hour later a handfull of Filipino guys were sat in a passenger staircase, scraping the sticky residue off the brass step runners with stanley knife blades (a thankless soul destroying task when every step on the ship needs doing!) and I will never forget what I heard while they were doing it.... I'll ask you all now to cast your memories back to the 1980's (and if you're not familiar with the song, youtube is your friend!) and a song by Katrina and the Waves.... I kid you not, 'I'm working on sunshine... woah ohhhh' was being sung over and over again in perfect harmony by maybe 8 guys in a constant loop the whole time I was in earshot.... no matter how tired you are, no matter how frustrated you are at trying to get done despite all problems caused by others, when you have that around you it's hard not to smile and believe it'll turn out ok in the end.

Actually they have cancelled a few cruised prior to this sailing and what you mentioned didn't happen. Not even close. But they didn't wait until last minute.

Actually it did make the news, and was spun as unsafe ships being made safe, not what is was, safe ships being made safer.

I never do. It won't stop the naysayers, I'm afraid. Boarding in 10 days!

You sir, are a optimist. If Carnival cancels your cruise because of more unforeseen or ignored problems, I hope they give you enough lead time...

After reading all the posts on this topic I have come to the conclusion that Carnival should not have sailed this ship. Initially I minimized the situation, I was wrong. All of the problems are Carnivals problems as they are the purchaser and overseer of the project. These problems could have and should have been avoided by Carnival.

in theory yes, in reality how?

they gave work to companies who put in bids and charged for skilled labour, and supplied I don't what instead of that skilled labour... the reasons for blank expressions and total confusion from electricians you're trying to work with become much clearer when you learn you're talking to a taxi driver.

I don't know why it happened, maybe it was failed promises, maybe it was yard / country regulations on numbers of non resident workers on the project, it could have been that most were already assigned to other projects elsewhere, but I've never seen so many unskilled workers doing skilled work on ship build ever. The average age on a dry dock is usually way over 30-40 years old, youngsters rarely stick at it long or survive without injury, but there it was real surge of early 20's and under, and most just seemed bored and wanting to mess about and get up to mischief. Usually contractors run between 8-15 crew per supervisor, and each supervisor reports to a project manager, I heard that some were running 40-80 per supervisor. You just cannot possibly keep an eye on that many workers to make sure they're doing what they should be doing if they have no work ethics or pride gained from experience. This left a huge amount of work to rectify / cover for those that do know what they're doing once all these things started coming to light.

Carnival were let down big time by a tiny percentage of the companies they put faith in, who unfortunately were responsible for a large number of the work force onboard. While they are ultimately responsible for the end result, I can't hold them at fault for it, even more so when I know they're doing all they can to resolve it

You sir, are a optimist. If Carnival cancels your cruise because of more unforeseen or ignored problems, I hope they give you enough lead time...

They already canceled our April 12th Sunshine cruise with fair compensation. Now I have experience and can replan with almost no notice.

But you don't cancel cruises because of minor issues - and everything I have heard is minor.

They already canceled our April 12th Sunshine cruise with fair compensation. Now I have experience and can replan with almost no notice.

But you don't cancel cruises because of minor issues - and everything I have heard is minor.

Just prove the naysayers wrong in a couple of weeks with your picture review.

Fascinating thread.

Poor Carnival is becoming the Rodney Dangerfield of Cruise lines. They just can't get any respect!

If this truly turns out to be a PR disaster for CCL, it's their own fault.

It's not the media's fault. They just report the news. Others make it.

It's not the passengers' fault. I'm sorry, but if I buy a pizza I should not have to know that the first one out of a brand new or refurbished oven is usually burnt!

It's not the contractors' fault. (Ok some if it maybe, but Carnival oversaw the project)

This whole thing might turn out to be a "tempest in a teapot" but with all the bad PR lately why wouldn’t Carnival do everything in its power to make this relaunch as perfect as possible? I just don't get it.

And speaking of Rodney; "I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet.":D

Just prove the naysayers wrong in a couple of weeks with your picture review.

Well Sarge is a nice guy but his reviews are 100% lopsided in favor of Carnival with pretty much no objectivity. I cant see how his review (while great in pics) will prove anything other than he LOVES all that is Carnival.

I hope he has a good sailing by anyones standards though.

After reading this thread to me it actually sounds like they made the right decision to me to sail, cancelling the day before would have been catastrophic for people who had flown over from the US. Apart from the concrete details from Dave (who indicates the best way to solve the problems was to sail) this thread is high on opinions from people sitting afar and low on detail of the issues from anyone actually on the ship.

Fascinating thread.

Poor Carnival is becoming the Rodney Dangerfield of Cruise lines. They just can't get any respect!

If this truly turns out to be a PR disaster for CCL, it's their own fault.

It's not the media's fault. They just report the news. Others make it.

It's not the passengers' fault. I'm sorry, but if I buy a pizza I should not have to know that the first one out of a brand new or refurbished oven is usually burnt!

It's not the contractors' fault. (Ok some if it maybe, but Carnival oversaw the project)

This whole thing might turn out to be a "tempest in a teapot" but with all the bad PR lately why wouldn’t Carnival do everything in its power to make this relaunch as perfect as possible? I just don't get it.

And speaking of Rodney; "I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet.":D

Wrong today the media do try and make the news. I agree they should just report the news.

Well Sarge is a nice guy but his reviews are 100% lopsided in favor of Carnival with pretty much no objectivity. I cant see how his review (while great in pics) will prove anything other than he LOVES all that is Carnival.

I hope he has a good sailing by anyones standards though.

They are completely objective and factual. The pictures do not lie.

Wow I really just don't understand some of the negativity on this thread... buildings, cars, ships, everything sometimes misses a deadline...

but Carnival has always worked very hard to compensate and to deliver the best possible guest experience.

I just don't understand the hate...

If you are just posting here to try to cause fights try getting a hobby.

I do enjoy your reviews, I just find them to be lopsided. I am looking forward to your Sunshine review.

How can they be lopsided? They are mostly pictures and people will interpret them how they will. I show good and bad. I just don't rant incessantly like some.

Wrong today the media do try and make the news. I agree they should just report the news.

The media might embellish the news.;)

So are you saying it's all the media's fault in this case?

Did they make this stuff up?

When it comes down to it, none of these problems are Carnivals fault... the shipyard had a contract that was even EXTENDED!, and any lost revenue due to incomplete work, brand image decline, and delay of service will be taken out on the Fincantieri insurance.

When it comes down to it, none of these problems are Carnivals fault... the shipyard had a contract that was even EXTENDED!, and any lost revenue due to incomplete work, brand image decline, and delay of service will be taken out on the Fincantieri insurance.

So if my friend’s brand new Mercedes G class gets recalled Mercedes is not at fault?:confused:

Dead-Metal they are minor in terms of safety - no one ever died because they didn't get the chance to go down the water slide. LOL

I'm sure it'll be 100% functional by the time you sail.

I didn't mention safety, I said that two of the major attractions of the re-fit aren't finished.

I'm sure that they will be functioning by the time I cruise in August, however there are paying passengers on board now who are not enjoying the much hyped (by Carnival) features.

I didn't mention safety, I said that two of the major attractions of the re-fit aren't finished.

I'm sure that they will be functioning by the time I cruise in August, however there are paying passengers on board now who are not enjoying the much hyped (by Carnival) features.

as far as I'm aware the water park delay is due to the flooring not being finished. High winds caused delays in getting the structure supports in place originally (cranes couldn't lift) and then wet weather obstructed the floor work to further delay things. I've no doubt it'll completed quickly once mother nature isn't against them.

Archived