Revamped Carnival Sunshine facing problems in maiden voyage

Just looked on the Facebook page. An incredible amount of people who are just trolling.

One called Cynthia Kane who said 'I was offered a free Carnival cruise and I said NO give it to some LOSER. I will stay on Princess where I belong'

Do people like that honestly realise how ridiculous they sound?

it is quite possible that the IT on the ship blocks sending any files of specific formats (such as images of any kind) .. they know what will happen if they allow photos ..

They can't block people from sending photos while in port.

I think the thing is, it all depends on WHY you cruise.

I would never be upset with a water slide out of commission, or minor things being unfinished...Other people who cruise with young kids probably feel different.

I wouldn't mind if the weather was bad and I missed ports. But that is because I don't sail for the destination the majority of the time. (If it was about the destination, I would fly there)...other people go insane when ports are missed.

I could probbaly put up with the AC in my cabin not working (of course, from my perspective...because I would likely be in a balcony and be able to have fresh air, even if it is humid air)....Perspective is the big issue here.

Things that would absolutely impact my cruise enough to make me hate it would be that things in my bathroom didn't function. I don't care if it's only a couple days or even ONE day. I expect toilet and shower (with hot running water) to work properly...

I am sure other people have no issue with skipping a shower or two...or ten :rolleyes:

....it's all a personal matter.

This is the best post I've seen in this thread. To some the waterpark might not matter...certainly wouldnt bother me (except for all the bored kids now bothering me...haha), but because it was something big that was advertised and probably part of why many people chose to pay a premium and sail on the "new" ship, many people probably are upset about it. You'd think that they would have least made sure the features that they advertised and pushed as being new and amazing would have been finished so they could continue to show it off and have good reviews from the first group.

I am getting some mixed messages from this scenario.

No pictures --- No details --- I have asked three times for the number of cabins without hot water and no response.

The length of time at the service counter and the length of lines are obvious exaggerations.

Are we hearing about true problems or are we getting a lot of hype from some who don't know ?????

They can't block people from sending photos while in port.

i wouldnt post photos while exploring a port. i would be looking after what I am doing enjoying myself and go back to ship on time.

I am getting some mixed messages from this scenario.

No pictures --- No details --- I have asked three times for the number of cabins without hot water and no response.

The length of time at the service counter and the length of lines are obvious exaggerations.

Are we hearing about true problems or are we getting a lot of hype from some who don't know ?????

Probably because this is being over hyped. I take everything with a grain of salt that is posted on the Internet because anybody can make up a user name and post something. Again I say for all we know all issues could have been fixed the first day of the cruise.

Facts are the ship could sail, it's sailing now which proves that to be true.... the question is should it have? Only people that can answer that are those on it, and their experience while on it... remains to be seen how they feel when they return

Ah, "seaworthy" vs. "cruiseworthy". Big difference IMHO.

Curious though, what would be their motivation if not profit?

IF they were to cancel - highly doubtful - Carnival would reimburse you for non-refundable costs.

Sorry Sarg, that's what they SAY but I can attest to the fact that getting ANY refund from Carnival is comparable to threading a needle wearing oven mitts.

No brag, just fact. ~ Will Sonnet

If you read dry dock Dave's post it sounds like they wanted to get out of that shipyard.

Then how can the shipyard be blamed?

My guess is that Carnival chose the lesser of two evils. Not a good choice given their spate of bad luck.

Sorry Sarg, that's what they SAY but I can attest to the fact that getting ANY refund from Carnival is comparable to threading a needle wearing oven mitts.

I received every penny promised from our canceled April 12 cruise. Full cruise refund, non-refundable transportation costs, etc. Every penny. Also 25% off a future cruise which I have already applied.

That's a fact, jack. No bull.

And you know there would be about 500 threads on CC if that wasn't the case with others.

Hi Everyone

Im on the Sunshine right now. We're docked in Messina today. I thought I would try to give some insight into how things were going.

My husband and I were among the numerous people that had cabin problems when boarding Luckily our toilet and shower worked, but we did have mostly cold showers the first few days or showered in the spa. None of the electricity in our room worked except overhead lights so no hair drying or charging. Our ac didnt work properly. We were starting to get upset by day three because we had reported the problems and had no idea of a time frame to get things fixed. We luckily bumped ino an engineer from carnival in the hallway and he can with us and fixed several of the problems.

Some have had worse problems than us. Toilets overflowing, flooded cabins, water leaking in room over night. Saying this, I would also say ther have been crew members working day and night to fix the rooms. I would expect most of these problems to be ironed out by the next sailing. except no idea if waterworks and pools will open

Also, Carnival was generous and gave us a partial refund as OBC for room problems, as well as giving everyone $150 because of waterworks being closed

Hi Everyone

Im on the Sunshine right now. We're docked in Messina today. I thought I would try to give some insight into how things were going.

My husband and I were among the numerous people that had cabin problems when boarding Luckily our toilet and shower worked, but we did have mostly cold showers the first few days or showered in the spa. None of the electricity in our room worked except overhead lights so no hair drying or charging. Our ac didnt work properly. We were starting to get upset by day three because we had reported the problems and had no idea of a time frame to get things fixed. We luckily bumped ino an engineer from carnival in the hallway and he can with us and fixed several of the problems.

Some have had worse problems than us. Toilets overflowing, flooded cabins, water leaking in room over night. Saying this, I would also say ther have been crew members working day and night to fix the rooms. I would expect most of these problems to be ironed out by the next sailing. except no idea if waterworks and pools will open

Also, Carnival was generous and gave us a partial refund as OBC for room problems, as well as giving everyone $150 because of waterworks being closed

Thank You for posting. NOW GET BACK TO YOUR VACATION!:D

Looks like the onboard staff is fixing things. Just wonder what head office is doing. Man, I'd want to make sure every passenger was satisfied before they get off that ship. I'm sure there will be media at the port to greet them!

I received every penny promised from our canceled April 12 cruise. Full cruise refund, non-refundable transportation costs, etc. Every penny. Also 25% off a future cruise which I have already applied.

And you know there would be about 500 threads on CC if that wasn't the case with others.

Then you are indeed fortunate. We've not been so lucky.

We have received all of our non-refundable costs from the April 12th cruise. We'll be on her in September, so looking forward to it. ;)

I am not the only one.

Good for you, but if you read our roll call, there were a few who got checks they couldn't cash as they didn't have routing or account numbers. As for me.... Still waiting for mine.

Frankly, the line should offer nothing less than a full refund for sailing out on a ship that was not as advertised and ready. I can promise you that priority was given to all revenue generating areas of the ship and had those been impacted, there would have been another delay.

Having seen long lines on Carnival guest services on a normal cruise, I can only imagine that it is not a guess that they are longer when things are not going right.

Carnival has the worst PR problem affecting it right now and anything less than perfection only convinces the first time cruiser to look elsewhere. I am not at all a Carnival fan as a TA, but what is going on with them is affecting the entire industry as a whole.

The entire company stinks right now from the top down and the top needs to go!

Hi Everyone

Thankyou so much for taking the time to update us!! Enjoy the rest of your cruise!! Just one quick question, do you think the waterpark will be open soon?

Well they have looked at the cruise manifest and this is what they came back with:

17th May - Oversold by 1 cabin

26th May - 1 Balcony available and taken off sale

07th June - Completely sold

16th June - 1 Suite available and taken off sale

June 16th has reopened for booking. Inside, oceanview and Balcony available.

Archived