Revamped Carnival Sunshine facing problems in maiden voyage

Hi Guys,

Just had a call with the guys from Carnival who have advised of a couple of updates regards the issues passengers are experiencing on the Sunshine, i will list as many as i can remember.

*The Lido Pool/Waterworks and Top Deck issues are all well underway being fixed and they fully expect that all attractions will be open and in full service within the next 48 hours (at the time the ship will be arriving in Livorno)

*All cabins have been credited with $150

*Some passengers have disambarked, and this is at the customers own cost, Carnival have given the option for passengers to stay onboard and have a gesture of goodwill credit against the any next cruise

*They have been let down significantly by a few teams during the dry dock which made the completion time impossible. The top deck was to be completed in the final week of the dry dock, but whats discribed as "unsually wet weather" has been over mid/east europe which made the task completing impossible. They are basically a week behind completing the work.

*Work on the "new" cabins between decks 9-11 are being treated on an indivual basis and the engineers will not leave the ship until all cabins are fixed.

All in all, they fully expect the next sailing on the 17th from Barcelona to go ahead with a fully operational ship!

This info probably wont help most, but its all i could get for you!

Fingers crossed that the next sailing will go to plan, but it does seem that the guys on the current 5th May sailing have been the guinea pigs for this ship!!

Huge thanks for your post .. i hope all what they promised is true .

Just got another e-Mail stating that it was hard to get access to the Internet and that they are having fun.

YES, they are having fun and they were moved so to you next Sunshine Cruisers, get ready to enjoy!!

Hi Guys,

Just had a call with the guys from Carnival who have advised of a couple of updates regards the issues passengers are experiencing on the Sunshine, i will list as many as i can remember.

*The Lido Pool/Waterworks and Top Deck issues are all well underway being fixed and they fully expect that all attractions will be open and in full service within the next 48 hours (at the time the ship will be arriving in Livorno)

*All cabins have been credited with $150

*Some passengers have disambarked, and this is at the customers own cost, Carnival have given the option for passengers to stay onboard and have a gesture of goodwill credit against the any next cruise

*They have been let down significantly by a few teams during the dry dock which made the completion time impossible. The top deck was to be completed in the final week of the dry dock, but whats discribed as "unsually wet weather" has been over mid/east europe which made the task completing impossible. They are basically a week behind completing the work.

*Work on the "new" cabins between decks 9-11 are being treated on an indivual basis and the engineers will not leave the ship until all cabins are fixed.

All in all, they fully expect the next sailing on the 17th from Barcelona to go ahead with a fully operational ship!

This info probably wont help most, but its all i could get for you!

Fingers crossed that the next sailing will go to plan, but it does seem that the guys on the current 5th May sailing have been the guinea pigs for this ship!!

This is good news for future passengers but disappointing for those, like our friends, now aboard. They mentioned the waterworks more than once and their family was looking forward to using it. Finally being able to use it two thirds through their trip and getting the internet back halfway along is more than a "glitch" as some here call it. I guess it's possible that "glitch" as defined on this board is an inconvenience, major or minor, suffered by others. I'm not sure what the right number is but 150.00 per cabin after spending thousands in airfare and cruise cost is a joke.

This is good news for future passengers but disappointing for those, like our friends, now aboard. They mentioned the waterworks more than once and their family was looking forward to using it. Finally being able to use it two thirds through their trip and getting the internet back halfway along is more than a "glitch" as some here call it. I guess it's possible that "glitch" as defined on this board is an inconvenience, major or minor, suffered by others. I'm not sure what the right number is but 150.00 per cabin after spending thousands in airfare and cruise cost is a joke.

Nobody cruises just for the waterworks or internet. So $150 seems fair.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Hi Guys,

...it does seem that the guys on the current 5th May sailing have been the guinea pigs for this ship!!

This statement above all others is why I believe that anyone who requests one should receive a full refund and credit for an additional cruise equal to what they paid.

This act alone is what would help Carnival's PR problem. This is what customer centric companies would be doing.

Perhaps the reason that the next couple of Sunshine Sailings are not booking more passengers is so that they can move people to empty cabins from the cabins that still need work done. This would make sense.

Seems silly to leave on your own dime...kind of cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Maybe it was less stressful for them to leave then it would have been to stay and vacations are all about destressing for many. Hopefully they still had a great vacation.

Wow!! That looks absolutely amazing! +1 for Carnival because now I'm getting a tiny bit interested in possibly booking a cruise on the Sunshine. LOL I'm looking forward to seeing more pics.

That's what I thought too. Very nice.

All of the issues with Carnival Sunshine, and they are minor, should be fixed before the end of the cruise. Many already have been.

Those who left the cruise early did so at their own expense. No refunds for you. :p

I used to like your posts,but that seemed insensitive to me. Each person has different values and calling it minor when others considered it bad enough to leave the ship is trivializing the feelings of others. I sometimes thought your posts were over zealous, but this seemed cold.

Carnival still has the Vacation Guarantee that if you follow the rules you can get a partial refund. If you don't, you don't. I don't know of any other cruise line with a similar, much less better, guarantee.

One of the rules is that it doesn't apply in Europe.

Hopefully they had appropriate insurance that would cover their actions.

Carnival's compensation has always been generous. If someone declines and goes off on their own that is their choice.

My two cents:

I know there are always glitches after a dry-dock; no one should have assumed after this major of one that there wouldn't be any.

However, to have whole areas not working/open, dirt/dust all around and all of the other issues with the new cabins, there is no way Carnival should be charging full price. They don't know what one person will or not think is important (for instance, the water park). And for people to call this "minor annoyances" is foolish.

Just because it is a European Itinerary, doesn't matter; they are advertising these new areas as a reason to pick the Sunshine.

The fact that these areas are not available is a signficant issue.

$150 OBC is good, but consider the prices, should be more I would think.

I do know that most people (including me if I were on the ship), would make the most of it and be happy.

I, for one, do believe everything will be put right and I am actually considering this ship in the future, but based on reviews of the first several sailings.

Andy

:cool:

Carnival still has the Vacation Guarantee that if you follow the rules you can get a partial refund. If you don't, you don't. I don't know of any other cruise line with a similar, much less better, guarantee.

One of the rules is that it doesn't apply in Europe.

Hopefully they had appropriate insurance that would cover their actions.

Carnival's compensation has always been generous. If someone declines and goes off on their own that is their choice.

Maybe a GREAT vacation is worth a couple of extra thousand dollars to some people. Who are we to tell them they should suck it up and tough it out so they get some free booze and a little money off. The buck stops with Carnival on this one.

My DH would have taken lemons and made lemonade. I wish I had more of that in my personality.:)

Archived