Norwegian Epic vs Carnival

FireMedT

I have a question for you solos who have cruised on both lines. I have cruised twice on Carnival before. For my next cruise I'm tempted to try the studio cabin on the EPIC. The idea of having a place to gather with other solos is a plus. Also the Epic seems to have a lot more variety in all areas compared to say Carnival Liberty or Glory out of Miami.

So here's the deal. I live in Miami and I am looking at a cruise in Novermber. Carnival's 7 day cruise has 4 ports and Norwegian's has 3 ports. With Carnival's current sales I can get an inside for about the same price as a studio on the EPIC.

So I guess my question is what seems the better choice?

What did you guys/girls enjoy about the EPIC compared to Carnival?

I have a question for you solos who have cruised on both lines. I have cruised twice on Carnival before. For my next cruise I'm tempted to try the studio cabin on the EPIC. The idea of having a place to gather with other solos is a plus. Also the Epic seems to have a lot more variety in all areas compared to say Carnival Liberty or Glory out of Miami.

So here's the deal. I live in Miami and I am looking at a cruise in Novermber. Carnival's 7 day cruise has 4 ports and Norwegian's has 3 ports. With Carnival's current sales I can get an inside for about the same price as a studio on the EPIC.

So I guess my question is what seems the better choice?

What did you guys/girls enjoy about the EPIC compared to Carnival?

Although I have not been on Carnival- it just seems the Epic has more activites. Also, even though the Carnival might have more square footage- take into account the studios dont really have desks and a chair- that reduces the actual usable space difference by a few square feet.

If I lived in Miami, I would have done the Epic at least 3x by now.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of the Epic studio however please be open minded in that people that are solo travelers may not be in your age range - the age range is varied. So depending on your specific cruise it could be mostly 30s and 40s or it could be mostly 60s and 70s..

One thing I like about Carnival is the set seating. I do not like freestyle dining when traveling solo.

• 3 weeks later...

Epic entertainment is superb, many different options and the entertainers are very enthused. I actually lived in Jax in Baymeadows in the late 90's before returning to NJ. If I were still down there I would likely cruise more often

Hi Howard,

Yes, living in Florida is so convenient for cruising. I was on the NCL Jade last year from Venice. The flight was over $1200. This year I'll drive down to Miami. I'll have a save a few more nickles and dimes for the flight to Europe. I also want to do pre and post land like last year. So many decisions.:)

So are you thinking studio for Nov, Dec or Jan out of Miami? Right now it is showing $1024 for a week. There is also a transatlantic to Spain on 4/27 for 11 days that is priced same if not cheaper.

If you are leaving from NE I would consider Breakaway. Unfortunately, I no longer live in NY but it would have been nice to take a $10 taxi from my home to the cruise port.

Yes, I direct book with NCL. I also looked at some videos on You Tube of the cabin. Expedia prices were a little higher than direct book.

Also, there is a show called Mighty Ships - NCL Epic on the Smithsonian Channel. I cannot find the channel in my area.

Have done 2 solo cruises: Carnival Dream, NCL Epic. I had never thought of booking NCL except the solo cabins were

The rooms on in the Epic Studios look very nice and comfortable although very small. That being said, I never felt cramped. Had nice storage space for a girl that packs a lot.

--Downside - the design on the room has major flaws. Walls are paper thin and there is a 2" gap between adjoining doors (not sure why they are these). You can hear everything in the room next to you and let's just say I have a very busy/noisy neighbor so I did not get much sleep.

--Positive - the nightly solo gathering. This was truly the highlight of my trip as I met a handful of people the first night, we hung out the entire trip. Plus, gained new friends forever who I constantly keep in touch with and visit.

Entertainment - better than Carnival and more variety.

Food - The food in the main dining rooms was horrible and at times inedible. It was difficult for our group to get reservations when we wanted at the specialty dining areas. Book early throughout the week - it really isn't "Freestyle". The buffet left much to be desired. I actually lost weight during this cruise.

With few exceptions, service was not pleasant on this sailing. I heard there was a lot of new staff so I am trying to cut a break if this is true. This includes the spa where they make commission.

It would take a lot of convincing to make me choose NCL again. I don't think Carnival is perfect but I never had a bad trip with them.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...