Istanbul - Whirling Dervishes Anyone?

I will be in Istanbul at the end of this month before embarking on a river cruise to Budapest/Vienna, and I would like to attend a session of Whirling Dervishes.

I realize that it's a religious ceremony, and that some may consider it boring, but I'm still curious and would like to attend one.

Has anyone done that "recently"? I see some posts that go back a few years, and would like to know about the current options.

Thanks in advance,

Sergio

I'm not sure what you mean by "recently" but we were in Istanbul September, 2011. We got tickets for the Whirling Dervishes through our hotel and it ws a very interesting experience! I'm sure we saw:

Whirling Dervishes and Dance Shows at Hodjapasha

Location (hope this link opens) Google Maps

We were staying very close in an excellent hotel and I do remember that we walked to the show and had dinner afterwards.

This site was very helpful in planing our visit: Turkey Travel Guide

We found Istanbul to be a fabulous city - would love to return some day!! Hope you also enjoy it!!

I'm not sure what you mean by "recently" but we were in Istanbul September, 2011. We got tickets for the Whirling Dervishes through our hotel and it ws a very interesting experience! I'm sure we saw:

Whirling Dervishes and Dance Shows at Hodjapasha

Location (hope this link opens) Google Maps

We were staying very close in an excellent hotel and I do remember that we walked to the show and had dinner afterwards.

This site was very helpful in planing our visit: Turkey Travel Guide

We found Istanbul to be a fabulous city - would love to return some day!! Hope you also enjoy it!!

Thanks, Peg! I'm looking forward to my 3 days in Istanbul. Some of the time there will be taken by the cruise pre-tour excursions, but I plan to take some time on my own as well. Hopefully, the Sema ceremony will be one of the functions I'll attend.

I think I'll wait until I get to Istanbul, and will consult with the hotel concierge, as well as the cruise tour operator, to get the latest information on what shows are still active.

Thanks for your input,

Sergio

We will be in Istanbul June 1, after a 2 week cruise. We too would like to do a whirling dervishes evening. We have a private guide for the first 2 days and one day on our own. I'll let you know what our Turkish expert advises for the dervishes. Isn't this fun? We leave Monday!

We will be in Istanbul June 1, after a 2 week cruise. We too would like to do a whirling dervishes evening. We have a private guide for the first 2 days and one day on our own. I'll let you know what our Turkish expert advises for the dervishes. Isn't this fun? We leave Monday!

Hi,

I'll be arriving in Instanbul on May 30, departing on the morning of June 2, so June 1 is one of the possible nights (for me) to see the Dervishes.

It's a tight timeframe, but if you learn anything I would appreciate new information.

Regards, and have a great time on your cruise!

Sergio

There are several tea gardens with free Dervish shows near the Blue Mosque, we went to two. We preferred the Dervish family Tea Garden, with a lovely view of the Blue Mosque. In Kabasakal caddesi as far as I remember. Very well shaded and good service.

There are several tea gardens with free Dervish shows near the Blue Mosque, we went to two. We preferred the Dervish family Tea Garden, with a lovely view of the Blue Mosque. In Kabasakal caddesi as far as I remember. Very well shaded and good service.

Thanks! I've saved the reference.

Sergio

Archived