Beach at Port?

avatexrs

Today's Dallas Morning News has an article on the port area being built at Costa Maya for cruise ship passengers:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/fea/travel/thisweek/stories/061905costamaya.1d19c7cf.html

The article describes the port area as having "a Potemkin village that includes a 70,000-square-foot shopping center and bazaar, two saltwater pools, restaurants, a beach club and an outdoor theater with several Mexican folkloric shows daily. ... The beach offers the usual diversions, including shaded hammocks to rest (or escape) from the rigors of shopping, a smaller pool and a seaside bar. Athletics of varying intensity take place throughout the day and include water volleyball, salsa lessons, and aerobics and stretching. ... The beach is pure and white, excellent for a slow stroll along the Caribbean shoreline. And except for food, drink and souvenirs, all of these features are free."

The article says that all of this is separate from the area you take taxis to in Mahahual. Is that right? How is what's at the port different from what's at Mahahual?

The area at the pier highlighted by the paper is manufactured for cruise ships. Mahujual is real Mexico, vendors, sand street, hotel,bars. They are both worth taking a look at depending on what you are looking for. I did have to smile when talking about the beach at the pier the article said "excellent for a slow stroll down the beach" Well,,,take it reeeeaaaaalllllll slow because you can walk across it in a regular stoll in about a minute.

Su

I was just there in March and going back Aug. 1st. Do yourself a favor, by pass all the shops at the pier when you get off the ship and go to Marahaul. Get a ticket for $3.00 then get in the Taxi line. They also call it the little Fishing Village. Tell the taxi driver to take you to Pez Quadro, you will be on the far end of town. Well the town is really one street along the beach that is about half a Football field long. Anyway, you will be able to relax, drink, get a massage there or you can stroll down the beach or the street to Tapas Bar or any other places along the beach. There will be people selling all kinds of souvenir's on tables as you walk along the beach. Then before boarding the ship you can always take a taxi back to the pier and check out the shops there. Just Enjoy!

"Beach at the pier? What beach"

I personally didn't think the beach at Mahujual was a whole lot better. This port was the worst day of our cruise for me, it was not at all what I had expected, and I think the expectation was what ruined it for me-- my husband thought it was okay. He had a good time people watching in Mahujual while I shopped. I expected a wide, long, empty beach. I got a fairly small beach overrun by palapas, bars, people, and chairs, with swimming areas crowded by piers with jetskis and kayaks. You definitely can't stroll along the beach here either, chairs and tables and people right up to the waters edge. To tell you the truth I probably would have preferred that lounge chair on the "beach" at the pier/port-- there at least I could have listened to the waves.

Su

Unlike alot of you we had fun in Costa Maya. We decided to stay at the pool and shopping area knowing that we were going to Seven Mile Beach on Grand Cayman the next day. We were also planning on hitting the beach in Cozumel in two days. It didn't bother me in the least that Costa Maya was a manufactured port of call. Las Vegas is "manufactured", so is Orlando, Florida. After being in dumpy hole-in-the-wall godforsaken end of the earth Belize the day before, the Costa Maya pier area looked like the Taj Mahal to me.

By the way the town does not stop at pez Quadro but continues for another mile and a half. The PEDESTRIAN zone is as far as pez Quadro. Further south there are small bars and a one or 2 restaraunts. At the far end of the town is Las Brisas, but in between there is Tirovino, Casa Del mar, Luna de Plata to mention a few. Unfortunately by the blocking of the sand street everyone thinks this is the end of the village, but not so. There are a few more artesians south of this zone. Keep walking and do not be afraid. Everyone at the bars or beaches can organise a taxi to get you back t the ship. Be a little adventusous. If you want the quieter areas these are the places to visit.

After being in dumpy hole-in-the-wall godforsaken end of the earth Belize the day before, the Costa Maya pier area looked like the Taj Mahal to me.

Now see, that is a perfect example of how everyone is different: We loved Belize, The Best day of the cruise for us. I would go back there in a heart beat. Part of the problem with Costa Maya was that it came the next day after our great day and there was nothing it could have done to compare--at least not in one afternoon.

Su

PS. Nitrogen, I wouldn't have minded walking down the road a little further, I think I would have liked that end of town; a little late for us, but maybe someone else will be adventurous enough to try it.

• 4 weeks later...

How can there be so different an opinion about a city? What did you do or like in Belize that the other person completely missed? One of the posts suggests the best way to be satisfied is not to expect too much. Am I going to wish I just stayed on the boat the day we dock in Belize? Thanks:eek:

I loved Belize because we went on the Lamanai/New river excursion. Others that we knew went snorkeling, or cave tubing and all had a good time. The area where you tender to has some shops, though not much. Just outside that area is Belize City which also is not much. If you stay just there at the docking area you will not have seen Belize. And I can understand why someone would say don't get off the ship. But do yourself a favor and book an excursion and see the real thing.

Su

You are right! The last time in Belize we went no further than the wet lizard and art gallery, I was not impressed! We will be going back in Nov and planning the cave tubing, I have heard good things, and hope to see the town this time, I am looking forward to it! Any day away from work is a good day for me!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived