Any issues with Website FTP onboard?

Hi,

Anyone update their web sites or client's sites via FTP whilst on board?

Any issues with slow connections causing drop outs, corrupted files etc?

I am a web designer & will be away from home for 6.5 weeks so will have to upload site changes for clients, new projects etc for client feedback whilst away at some stage.

I've never had to bother on previous cruises, just read emails & looked at sites on the internet.

We will be on Radiance & I read she had a new satellite system installed mid last year that is supposed to provide 10 times faster internet than previous speeds? Anyone know if this is accurate?

Thanks.

All you can do is try. FTP might be blocked on board due to bandwidth issues

regardless of the speed on your link. You have to remember the internet is

there primarily for ship operations and passenger use secondary.

> Anyone update their web sites or client's sites via FTP whilst on board?

Heavens no. I even shrink pictures when I upload them, and select only a few to upload when on board

> Any issues with slow connections causing drop outs, corrupted files etc?

Corrupted files - not happened to me. Drop outs - YES YES YES. In fact I cant' establish a direct connection with my office server because the connection is both slow and intermittent. I have to use logmein or gotomypc to get anything from the office.

> I am a web designer & will be away from home for 6.5 weeks so will have to upload site changes for clients, new projects etc for client feedback whilst away at some stage.

I would (a) check with your wifi provider to see what sort of data packages they have in the countries where you will be and buy it. While at sea it's not a great solution but in port I've gotten excellent connectivity from my "myfi" hotspot, but to avoid huge charges ordering the packages in advance saves many dollars; (b) check out internet cafes in the ports where you'll be; © try to get some state-side back up person for emergencies; (d) plan on using ship's wifi on totally off hours.

> I've never had to bother on previous cruises, just read emails & looked at sites on the internet.

So you should know this. Unless you've been very very lucky.

> We will be on Radiance & I read she had a new satellite system installed mid last year that is supposed to provide 10 times faster internet than previous speeds? Anyone know if this is accurate?

That I don't know and if it makes my prior comments irrelevant - I'll be a happy camper and try to sail on Radiance next time.

If I had to do this, I would either setup port forwarding or set my ftp server to run on a non standard port. (I'm thinking 80 if it's not already in use) I'd also use sftp. My guess is even if they are using a firewall to block ports I doubt they are using an application aware one. BTW, if you have a lot of images or other larger files, you might as well get a prescription for tranquilizers filled now. The connections are terrible. Good luck and enjoy your cruise. Sounds like your really deserve it.

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't find the internet speed on Voyager too bad earlier this year when using my own laptop for emails/internet browsing, much faster than expected.

On Radiance last year I used the ships computers which is a totally different thing, they are super slow just to type.

So I had been hoping with the new satellites installed & using my laptop it will be a lot better than last time.

I live in Australia & run my own business so there is no body else to cover me at home whilst away, but most existing web clients will not need updates as I will advise I'm travelling & get any updates done prior.

I will however have some stints throughout the trip were I will be at hotels between cruises so I was expecting they would be the best options to try & do any urgent work.

Most of the updates will be to dummy sites for clients (in the USA,UK, Australia) that I do web graphics & web templates for to see progress, so at least it won't be a live site in that case.

But for live site updates I am best sticking to port connections by the sounds of it. Although I can always do a dummy run outside of the busy times on board & if all is well then do the updates then. I'm a night owl anyway, so whilst most cruisers are snoozing or late night dancing I may get a better connection speed.:)

Sad I know, having to work on holiday - but then working for yourself does have it's perks - like being able to take 6.5 weeks to travel.

With luck it will only be a few days of work all up.

Archived