Opinions on cruising with a 15mon old

bigboiracer

• 1 month later...

I can't remember if I asked or not, but what did your 15mo sleep on? Did you take a PnP or let them sleep on the mattress, or even with you?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Forums mobile app

^^^^ if anyone can answer this, that'd be great. I really don't want to have to lug a PnP. He will sleep on a mat or a blanket for naps, but haven't done that for bed yet.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Forums mobile app

Disney World with a young toddler. That sounds...like work.

Of course I'm not a big Disney fan anyway, but I would never consider taking a child that young to Disney.

I have taken my son on several cruises as a baby and toddler, the first was when he was 6 months(and 1 day:))

The best thing that we did was when our son was too young for the kids' clubs, we paid to bring my mom along so we could split the babysitting duties between the 3 of us. It was also nearly the same price to have him in our room as a 3 some and her as a single, as it was to register him in her cabin.

We love cruising both with and without our child. It's great that he doesn't spend vacation cooped up in a carseat or stroller, and we don't spend time fighting crowds trying to find parking or food.

Go on the cruise, you won't regret it!

I love Disney and I love cruising. With that being said, I think cruising with a 15 month old would be much easier than Disney. I would pick a boat that has a nursery, and activities for kids of that age. Why not a week long cruise on the Disney Fantasy? That way you could have the best of both worlds. If not a Disney cruise, I would stick with a RCL boat that has a baby pool and a nursery.

You're not really going to be sharing an experience with your 15 month old. She's way to young to remember it or even know what is happening while you're there. . . .
We are all a sum of all of our experiences. So even if a child does not have specific memories of an event, it does not mean that it does not "matter". The experiences of feeling safe and nurtured by your parents is an important thing for an infant or young toddler (even if they don't remember if it was in the Carribbean or in the back yard!)

Side note, when DD was 3YO we were on a plane for New Mexico. Her dad was telling her that she had never seen a mountain before -- she reminded him about the mountain "with the water coming out of it" that she had seen. I had to think hard to remember being at Yosimite with her when she was just 8 months old and how the spring thaw and recent heavy rains had made the water coming "from the mountain" something truely awesome. While now, she "remembers" that mountain in California because we retell the story about how she remembered when she was three, it is to me proof that infants do have some memories.

We are all a sum of all of our experiences. So even if a child does not have specific memories of an event, it does not mean that it does not "matter". The experiences of feeling safe and nurtured by your parents is an important thing for an infant or young toddler (even if they don't remember if it was in the Carribbean or in the back yard!)

A-Men! Where's the applause icon? :)

Seriously, I've had to defend my decision to take my child vacationing so many times for that same reason. If people really and truly believe kids shouldn't go on vacation because "they won't remember" then wouldn't that logic apply to all walks of life? Should we just toss our kids in cribs and ignore them until they're 5? Of course not! What you do with your child from the second they are born(and some argue before they are born) shapes the adult they become.

. . . Should we just toss our kids in cribs and ignore them until they're 5? Of course not! . . .
Perhaps those nice big see through plastic pods from SciFi movies -- toss them in, feed them through holes punched in the top, hose them down once a week -- then when they turn 21, set them free to fend for themselves :D

Archived