Viking, Elegant, or Peter Deilmann??

azoria

I have been researching river cruises and have discovered that the three nicest are Elegant, Peter Deilmann, and Viking. Please correct me if I am wrong. We want something that has nice, roomy rooms, and excellent food. I cruised the Rhine River about 7 years ago with my then boyfriend (now husband) on a company trip. The rooms were roomy and the food was so good that most stayed on board to eat in the dining room instead of getting off the ship to eat. It was truly five star gourmet. I don't remember the name of the ship though. :(

I was trying to find something like that...or even the same river cruise. We want to do it again and take my fun parents as well. Any suggestions or experience with the three listed above would be appreciated!:)

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from an 11 day trip on the Cassanova and it was to die for!

The staff was outstanding - the service was incredible and you will not be disappointed in the food - I don't even want to think about how much I gained! And, if by some odd chance you don't like what is on the menu - just ask and they will make you almost anything instead!!!

We made new friends that are as near and dear as our friends at home! We were even talking about a 1 year reunion cruise before we got off of the ship!!

You will not be disappointed with Deilmann - everything was truly 5 star!

Azoria, it may depend on the itinerary you chose. We were looking at taking a Danube cruise to the Black Sea, and looked at Globus (also called Avalon Waterways), Viking and Dielmann. I had fully expected that we would go witth Dielmann, but the ships they use for that particular itinerary are older than the rest of their fleet. We chose Globus because we could get the kind of room we wanted for that particular trip.

Dielmann caters more to Europeans, so you get a better feel for the places you are visiting on the ship as well as off. Globus caters more to Americans, which can be more comfortable for some folks. It all boils down to individual taste, but I have only heard very good things about Viking and Dielmann. I'm not familiar with Elegant, but in looking over their website, it looks like they use ships from various lines. I did not see any with balconies, so if that's important to you, you might want to look at the other lines mentioned.

Archived