Rental car question.

marquaveous

I will be traveling from the Atlanta area to the Port of Miami and was wondering if anyone had any experience renting a car for the drive down, turning the car in the morning of the cruise and then picking up a car(same one preferably) and driving back? I've got a looonnnggg time to get my ducks in a row, but I'm an OCD head case about little details like this.

Is there any reason you want to drive down? If not it may be cheaper to fly and not drive a total of 1,400 miles because if you turn in the car during your cruise you will be charge for 2 one way rentals which is quite expensive.

If you still want to do that I would suggest renting the car for a round trip and and staying at one of the hotels that offer free parking while you go on your cruise.

Logic tells you that paying for a rental car and parking while you cruise makes no sense :confused: - but travel pricing often makes no sense, so I would price it out both ways. ;) National, Alamo and Thrifty offer free shuttles to POM from their MIA airport location.

Unless there are 3-4 in the car my guess is that it would be cheaper to fly down; if you fly down the day before your cruise you open up lots of airport options (MIA, FLL, MCO, TPA, and Sanford) that may make things a bit cheaper for you -- there's usually no one-way drop charge for car rentals within FLA.

Good luck! :)

I've got a year to figure it out, so hoping airfares aren't much more than now that may be the better option with only 2 in my party. Then I presume we'd take a cab or shuttle to a hotel then shuttle to port on cruise day. Thanks for the feedback!

If you do rent a car and have a warehouse membership, like costco/sam's/BJ's, check their rates! A one-way search on Budget form MCO to TPA was $140 but when I booked through my warehouse, it was $75!

Archived