Clockwise self tour

Tedimed

What do you think, is this a good idea? Immediately from the ship go and rent a car and go to the Mullet (stay 2 hours maybe). After that visit Marigot (maybe a quick brunch). From there, went for an hour or two on the Orient.

It seems to me that in this way i would avoid the traffic from the Dutch side. I have been on Galion beach before, and now I want to see Mullet and Orient. We will be the only ship that day.

Would this be possible to achieve in 8-4 period and do you know what is the parking situation on Mullet, Marigot and Orient beach?

Thank you.

What do you think, is this a good idea? Immediately from the ship go and rent a car and go to the Mullet (stay 2 hours maybe). After that visit Marigot (maybe a quick brunch). From there, went for an hour or two on the Orient.

It seems to me that in this way i would avoid the traffic from the Dutch side. I have been on Galion beach before, and now I want to see Mullet and Orient. We will be the only ship that day.

Would this be possible to achieve in 8-4 period and do you know what is the parking situation on Mullet, Marigot and Orient beach?

Thank you.

Your plan sounds good. Just a couple of things that you might not be aware of that might make your day better. Plan to get through the Simpson Bay area prior to the 9:30 bridge opening and don't leave anything in your car, including your trunk at any stops. Have a fun day! Oh ya, parking. Should be fine with parking at the beaches but in Marigot at 11:30 ish you may have to park in the large lot along the ocean and walk up to 10 minutes or you may get lucky and find a spot near the ferry building!

Your plan sounds good. Just a couple of things that you might not be aware of that might make your day better. Plan to get through the Simpson Bay area prior to the 9:30 bridge opening and don't leave anything in your car, including your trunk at any stops. Have a fun day! Oh ya, parking. Should be fine with parking at the beaches but in Marigot at 11:30 ish you may have to park in the large lot along the ocean and walk up to 10 minutes or you may get lucky and find a spot near the ferry building!

Thank you.

I just got quote from Hertz:

The total estimated cost of one day rental at the St Maarten Cruise Terminal will be US$ 61.65 including taxes

We remind that a Hertz St. Maarten St. Martin reservation includes with our compliments;

- pre-programmed GPS with points of interest

- unlimited km

- third party’s public liability with deductible

- spouse as add’l driver

- on going shuttle 7 days a week service

- roadside assistance

- a guaranteed vehicle at time of arrival and the Hertz world of guaranteed services

This sounds very reasonable?

In 2007 I`ve used AVIS. Is Hertz also close to the port?

Thank you.

I just got quote from Hertz:

The total estimated cost of one day rental at the St Maarten Cruise Terminal will be US$ 61.65 including taxes

We remind that a Hertz St. Maarten St. Martin reservation includes with our compliments;

- pre-programmed GPS with points of interest

- unlimited km

- third party’s public liability with deductible

- spouse as add’l driver

- on going shuttle 7 days a week service

- roadside assistance

- a guaranteed vehicle at time of arrival and the Hertz world of guaranteed services

This sounds very reasonable?

In 2007 I`ve used AVIS. Is Hertz also close to the port?

Hertz has a desk at the cruise terminal. The clockwise approach makes a lot of sense - you do not want to drive through Phillipsburg after 3:00 PM. Reserving car in advance is good idea - it guarantees availability and rate.

After leaving Marigot, you might want to check out Grand Case - possibly having lunch there - or continue around to Dawn Beach and have lunch at Mr. Busby's - right on one of the best beaches on the island, who rent chairs and umbrellas, or eat at Beau Beau's on the Oyster Bay Beach Resort property ---very good food reasonably priced.

My understanding is that the additional 9:00 bridge opening is now year round.

gary

gary

It's not showing that yet on any of the sites that I normally check for bridge opening times.

In the summer we often find ourselves scrambling to get out the door so we don't get stuck in the 9:30 bridge opening traffic. Maybe I will just sleep in.:)

Does this have to do with the work that is going to be done on the bridge on the French side perhaps?

We have vacationed for a least a week at the Flamingo Resrt for more than five summers now and I never found there to be even 1/2 of the boat traffic then that there is in March.

Even more incentive for the OP to get off the ship and to the car rental agency ASAP.:)

I will report back in July on this if we have not heard with certainty prior to then.

gary

I need more help... after Mullet how to get to Marigot? Yea, i know... but Google maps gave me direction to use ferry!?!? On the map i saw road going west, around. Can i use that road or i have to go back and than turn left towards Marigot? Last time i was at the island i drive from Marigot towards the port, and that was like 6 years ago, i totaly forgot everything about roads, except i could not find a parking in Philipsburg for....forever:)

To get to Marigot, just continue on the road past Mullet Bay Beach, through the golf course, then up the western side of the island and across the top of the lagoon.

To reach the Marigot waterfront and parking, make a 'left' at the roundabout at the cemetery when approaching Marigot.

gary

I need more help... after Mullet how to get to Marigot? Yea, i know... but Google maps gave me direction to use ferry!?!? On the map i saw road going west, around. Can i use that road or i have to go back and than turn left towards Marigot? Last time i was at the island i drive from Marigot towards the port, and that was like 6 years ago, i totaly forgot everything about roads, except i could not find a parking in Philipsburg for....forever:)

The difficulty finding a parking spot in Phillipsburg has not changed!!:D

The difficulty finding a parking spot in Phillipsburg has not changed!!:D

If you cannot find a spot in the long parking lot next to the salt pond, you can always find one in the pay lot (not expensive) just north of the covered market area. Forget finding a spot on either Front or Back Street..

If you cannot find a spot in the long parking lot next to the salt pond, you can always find one in the pay lot (not expensive) just north of the covered market area. Forget finding a spot on either Front or Back Street..

We have not had very good luck at all finding a spot at the pay lot and end up hiking it from the Salt Pond lot.:mad:

We have not had very good luck at all finding a spot at the pay lot and end up hiking it from the Salt Pond lot.:mad:

Agree.

We find the Admin Building parking to be the least available, except perhaps on the weekend.

There's a relatively new addition to parking choices: Ringroad Fill Parking. It's where they are filling in the edge of the Salt Pond for a new traffic loop, which won't open for some time. In the interim you can park there (for free). The only entrance/exit is in front of the Rima building, but then you can work your way back almost to the Salt Pickers Roundabout.

th_Parking.jpg

(click)

gary

Archived