Swimming Pool Dynamics

wahooslayer

I assume the swimming pools onboard Carnival ships are filled with seawater (pardon my ignorance)? So how does this work? My recollection from my last cruise years ago was that pools are emptied before entering port (is this all ports, foreign ports?). I'm interested in how this works from start to finish. So, we leave port and fresh seawater is pumped onboard, is it filtered and/or sanitized before entering the pool? Clearly they would only want to use clean seawater, so filling from within or near a port wouldn't be preferred with possible pollutants. Certainly once it is in the pool it must be circulated, is it circulated to and from the ocean, or is it contained onboard, filtered and sanitized? Before arriving to port is the water then dumped overboard? Just curious how this works.

I've really never enjoyed a pool on a ship before - I'm not a sun worshiper so I don't lay out around the pool and it always seems so crowded and then they always seem to be closed by dinner.

I am beyond excited to sail the Breeze with one pool open until midnight and the other open until 3am! For the first time, I'm thinking I may get to utilize a pool!

The pools contain saltwater that is chlorinated to the levels required and regulated by the United States Department of Public Health.

There is no United States Department of Public Health. :)

They are emptied every night and a net placed across them. It is refilled every morning early....

And on Carnival ships, the pool is filled with salt water. Other cruise ships' pools, in my experience, are not filled with salt water.

There is no United States Department of Public Health. :)

Good one! I'm not even sure if the US Dept of Health and Human Services has any rules about it. Maybe it's a CDC thing that the cruise lines follow? :confused:

Good one! I'm not even sure if the US Dept of Health and Human Services has any rules about it. Maybe it's a CDC thing that the cruise lines follow? :confused:

Maybe I should have done more research and posted this link instead: http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/training/videos/transcripts/swim.pdf

The answer to the OP's question that I posted came from John Heald's blog, as an answer to a question that Julie Maracki asked. It's the fifth question down. Here is the link to it: http://johnhealdsblog.com/2012/08/27/conditioning-and-the-air-to-the-throne/

Please accept my apologies for the misinformation.

Please tell me the pools are still chlorinated and heated despite the salt water.

Not heated, :(. As a Floridian, I found them refreshing when I have been laying in the sun a bit, but only for a few minutes, if I don't keep moving I get cold. Luv the hot tubs though.

I can say with a fact that the main pool on the Splendor was heated...I was standing right next to where the warmth was coming...

Not heated, :(. As a Floridian, I found them refreshing when I have been laying in the sun a bit, but only for a few minutes, if I don't keep moving I get cold. Luv the hot tubs though.

So, if it's fresh water, are they dumping it overboard and then using their desalinators to refill the pools (seems like a lot of water to make every time), or are they storing the pool water onboard and re-using?

So, if it's fresh water, are they dumping it overboard and then using their desalinators to refill the pools (seems like a lot of water to make every time), or are they storing the pool water onboard and re-using?

If it's fresh water on non Carnival ships, they don't dump it. They just chlorinate and filter it. There's no need to dump it. On Carnival ships, they use sea water. At the end of the day, they dump it, then fill it the next morning with new sea water.

I've only used the pools twice out of seven cruises but I've never smelled chlorine in either pool. Hot tubs, yes, pools no.

Archived