Mayan Ruins: Best choice for multi-gen family?

cruzn771

We'll be on the Dream for a June Western Caribbean cruise. Have 3 generations going along (ages 12-70) and are trying to sort out which Mayan Ruin would be best for the group. The grandparents can walk moderate distances, as long as it's not hilly. I've crossed off Tulum and Coba Mayan (Cozumel) due to the length, the ferry ride to the mainland, and the fact that there's more to do in Cozumel. I'm between Altun Ha (Belize), Chacchoben (Costa Maya), and Xunantunich (Belize). I liked the sound of Xunantunich - but there is mention of a hill to get to the ruins and reviews have varying comments on how significant of a climb it is (or if alternate transportation is available).

Can someone provide feedback on the accessibility (hilliness, length of hike) for Altun Ha, Xunantunich, and Chacchoben? The grandparents won't be climbing the ruins (well, probably not), but would love to see them and watch the grandkids wear themselves out.

We're planning to book via the Carnival for whichever we pick, just to avert the risk of having to swim after the ship as it leaves port without us :-)

We'll be on the Dream for a June Western Caribbean cruise. Have 3 generations going along (ages 12-70) and are trying to sort out which Mayan Ruin would be best for the group. The grandparents can walk moderate distances, as long as it's not hilly. I've crossed off Tulum and Coba Mayan (Cozumel) due to the length, the ferry ride to the mainland, and the fact that there's more to do in Cozumel. I'm between Altun Ha (Belize), Chacchoben (Costa Maya), and Xunantunich (Belize). I liked the sound of Xunantunich - but there is mention of a hill to get to the ruins and reviews have varying comments on how significant of a climb it is (or if alternate transportation is available).

Can someone provide feedback on the accessibility (hilliness, length of hike) for Altun Ha, Xunantunich, and Chacchoben? The grandparents won't be climbing the ruins (well, probably not), but would love to see them and watch the grandkids wear themselves out.

We're planning to book via the Carnival for whichever we pick, just to avert the risk of having to swim after the ship as it leaves port without us :-)

Xanantunich is a good bus ride from the pier, then you cross a small stream by hand pulled raft, walk up a small hill that this granddad found easy, even with a hip replacement and spinal fusion surgery. The ruins are large and can be climbed. From the top of the Castillo one can see Guatamala.

Altun Ha is closer to the ship and you can get to it by bus or river boat. The ruins are small, climable, heavily repaired, and there are small shops where one can purchase local or indigenous artifacts.

Tulum is fantastic, but you have already ruled that out. I can't comment on Chocaban, but if you look in the ports of call section, you can get some 1st hand reports.

Enjoy!

Edited by evandbob

Wife and I did Altun Ha last year. There is a fairly long walk from parking area to the ruins, but it is fairly level. The area between the actual buildings is a large, level grassy square, but there is little shade, so take that into account as well. There is stairs to the top of the main structure, but it is a VERY steep and uneven climb. The more adventurous in your party could climb up while those who can't can wander along the base. And as another poster stated, there is a "straw market" area at the entrance.

Pete

We visited Xuantunich in January on a Carnival excursion. The site was great and mostly flat once you got to it the actual structures, but there was a hill from the entrance to where the structures were and a flight of stone steps to climb up. It took probably less than 10 minutes to get up there. If you get winded climbing say 3 or 4 flights of stairs, might want to skip the walk up.

Once at the site, climbing the structures is totally optional. BubbaQ was on a jacked up ankle - we explored on our own and saw a lot more than our actual group got to see. Or they can sit at some tables in the shade waiting for everyone to climb down.

They offered a ride to those that needed assistance up the hill emphasizing that it was only for those that have some sort of impairment. I recall several older folks saying had they known the hill was that steep they would have ridden. I think everyone walked back down.

I've also been to Chichen Itza, Tulum, Coba, and ek Balam (my favorite), and though Xuantunich was a great choice because the architecture is a blend of Belize and Yucatan Maya. We found that part interesting - but we're kind of nerds in that way.

there's some pictures in my review, starting at post #30

Edited by BSQ

Thanks to all that replied. This was my first post and I'm grateful for the help. evanbob/centurycruiser: I ruled out Tulum because there were some posts that commented the time allowed at the ruins was insufficient and the combination of a rough ferry ride and long bus ride was draining. Cozumel also has some other things for us to do, whereas Belize was shaping up as ruins or stay on the ship. "Chicken Pizza" isn't on the itinerary for this cruise :)

Based on what I've heard, I think we'll go Xanantunich - as long as that one hill doesn't get us - we should be golden. Thank you everyone!

Xunantunich was AWESOME. We really enjoyed going there! There are many structures and pyramids to look at, the tours were very interesting and we learned a lot! You can also climb up one of the pyramids, too...which you can't do at some other sites!

I have tons of pics and a review posted here if you're interested in checking it out! http://poolieandloolie.blogspot.ca/2012/02/belize-and-xunantunich-caribbean-cruise.html

Don't forget your bug spray!

I second this! It took me 2 1/2 weeks to stop itching from the little bug bites I received at Altun Ha! They really like legs (DH was wearing jeans & didn't get 1 bite). Take some of those insect repellent wipes with you. I had them with me but neglected to use them in time. Learned my lesson!

I'm between Altun Ha (Belize), Chacchoben (Costa Maya), and Xunantunich (Belize). I liked the sound of Xunantunich - but there is mention of a hill to get to the ruins and reviews have varying comments on how significant of a climb it is (or if alternate transportation is available).

Either Altun Ha or Xunantunich is fine. Skip Chacchoben.

We did Xunantunich and it was amazing! The ruins were at the top of a holland everyone walked up. I do believe they offered a ride up to those that couldn't make the walk up the hill.

Wait. I don't understand. The people were asked to walk from the ferry to the site? (As in, the buses couldn't get on the ferry, so people had to walk the rest of the distance). Or was it a walk from the parking lot?

Wait. I don't understand. The people were asked to walk from the ferry to the site? (As in, the buses couldn't get on the ferry, so people had to walk the rest of the distance). Or was it a walk from the parking lot?

We did with Celebrity it is a mile from ferry to ruins. Some more adventurous walked I guess just to do it. We took van from ferry to ruins, took several trips to ferry all on that were on bus. At visitor center van was available to take those on to ruins that needed it. Seemed to me it was about 1/4 to 1/2 mile up road. I walked it was no big deal to me and I am a senior, wife who has knee problems rode. She had no problems in ruins.

Edited by chief joe
miss spelling

• 11 months later...

I have the same question as the OP, but my grandparents are also concerned about heat. I did Xunantunich last year, so I know walking won't be a problem with the van they offer. I remember little buildings as well, but were any of them air conditioned, or at least cool enough that they could rest in them if needed. Did any other sites have an area to coll off in? We are sailing in June, so I am assuming it will be hot!

Did not see when you are going. We were there in spring was not to bad heat wise. I don't remember any buildings with A/C was a lot of shade and places to sit. Just bring water they also had small concession stand as I remember. If you are going in the summer It will be HOT. I have been to Belize and Honduras in july diving and it is super hot and humid. Hope this helps.

There is EXTENSIVE walking at Chaccoben and the terrain is rough in some places. There is also a steep, high staircase to climb at one spot. We went in November and it was terribly hot and humid which added to the difficulty for the elderly and children particularly. I would take neither the elderly unless they were very fit nor very young children.