Live from the Grand, May 10 - 20 SF to Alaska

trbarton

Tom ... last time on Princess they did a free galley tour also. It was done on one of the last sea days. The ship tour you are taking is called the Ultimate Ship Tour I believe. Limited number of people can take that, but it does sound like fun. You really get to see a great deal of the behind the scene areas of the ship.

I know it has to be hard for your cruise to end. The positive note for me is that means our cruise will be just starting. We're flying into San Francisco tomorrow.

I do wish there was more time in Victoria. We love that city, so much to do and see. I'm always surprised too when the ships dock at night rather than in daytime. Luckily this cruise is a day time stop with 7 hours in port. Last time it was 7 pm to midnight ... we just stayed on the ship.

Next year on our coastal back 2 back ... NCL Pearl will stop in Victoria from 10 am to 6 pm and on our way back Star Princess will stop from 7 am to 2 pm.

Princess Cruises Ultimate Ship Tour®

A Behind-the-Scenes Adventure

Princess passengers can get an exclusive glimpse at the behind-the-scenes action onboard a Princess ship with the Princess Cruises Ultimate Ship Tour® — a cruise industry first. The tour is offered once or twice per cruise on a sea day, and allows passengers to explore the engine control room, medical center, print shop, laundry, photo lab, bridge, and other areas typically seen only by the ship's crew. The final stop of the tour is the ship's command center, where passengers will meet the Captain, enjoy special refreshments and take in the dramatic views from the bridge's wraparound windows. Participants will also receive a variety of themed mementos at many other stops along the route.

Available on all ships except for Pacific Princess and Ocean Princess.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/activities/index.html

Grand Princess Alaska...May 10 - 20, 2013

Victoria...Saturday, May 18, 2013

They had 2 excellent shows tonight in the Princess Theatre. The first show I saw was 3 ladies from Russia. Two violin and one accordion player. The only group in the world with an accordion and violin playing together. They played a variety of music and mentioned that they have arranged their own music as their is no arrangements for their instruments. You will see them playing in the Piazza often and they have recorded a CD.

Their was an excellent cruise staff show. Good talent and funny acts. I will talk to the photo department manger to see if one can get a DVD copy.

My steward mentioned that when the ship goes into dry dock, one week in December, they will put a green mat on the balconies.

One more day at sea and I am forced to return to normal life.

FYI...Their is a 17 day holiday cruise in December from San Francisco to Fort Lauderdale through the Panama Canal; 15 days from San Diego with HAL. It leaves on December 17 and is a chance to see the construction of the 2 new canals for the mega ships. A holiday cruise over Christmas and New Years is lots of fun especially if you only have to fly one way.

Until tomorrow...Tom:)

The Grand is showing her age somewhat--we saw some cracking in our shower and the toilet had black stains...rust on the body of the ship (that's to be expected on any ship, but a bit more than we've seen on others). Otherwise, she seems in good shape and the crew was, as usual, working hard on maintenance. We didn't experience any of the water issues that folks further back were experiencing with their showers (black water, temperature control). This was our third time on the Grand and I like what they did in drydock. Love Alfredo's pizzeria :D and the IC. We had the new mattresses--very comfy! No need for an egg crate. They took the mats off the balconies, which to us is a plus--those were hard on the bare feet.

We had a pretty calm crossing to and from Hawaii, but even when there were some waves, the Grand was very stable. (Hmm, I should get going and write a review!)

We thoroughly enjoyed the Grand again. Experiencing separation anxiety this week ;)

Thanks for that...I feel better :)

I know it has to be hard for your cruise to end. The positive note for me is that means our cruise will be just starting. We're flying into San Francisco tomorrow.

Bon Voyage!

My steward mentioned that when the ship goes into dry dock, one week in December, they will put a green mat on the balconies.

Hooray!

Brian,

I am just jumping in to say "HI" to you. I board the Grand tomorrow. Finally talked my husband into going on an Alaska cruise.

I have fond memories of the Hawaii cruise I met you on.

Jayne

Tom, great posts regarding your cruise. We will be on the cruise June 9th. 5 years ago we went on the same cruise on the Dawn. That time the ship got all the way to the glacier, it was amazing! Hopefully when we go again this year, the ice-bergs will be manageable and we can get in all the way. Glad to hear the seas have been calm, can only wish for that in June.

Tom

Grand Princess Alaska...May 10 - 20, 2013

At Sea...Sunday, May 19, 2013

Hello everyone....

Here's my list of shops that I purchased something in. Went to other shops but didn't make any purchases.

Ketchikan...

Alaska Totem Trading...9809 Totem Bright Rd.

The Outlet Store...5 Salmon Landing Ste. 10

Juneau....

Red Dog Saloon...a great place to visit if only for a drink.

Alaska Juneau Mining Co. ...425 South Franklin St.

Alaska Shirt Co. ....120 Mill St.

Twisted Fish...505 South Franklin

Skagway...

Dejon Delights...Smoked Sockeye Salmon...326 3rd Ave.

Skagway Fish Company...210 Congress Way. On way back to ship.

I took the Ultimate Ship Tour this morning. We went everywhere and saw areas only aloud for crew. Was able to ask any questions we wanted. A ships photographer accompanied us and took some photos that we will get later. We will also get a chef's jacket and personalized stationary. I highly recommends this tour. It's limited so sign up early.

I usually used room service for Breakfast because I'm going on a tour and my cabin is forward and the Horizon is aft. One reason for an aft cabin. Remember to write on the order form something you want that not listed. Another trick is when you mark for example, 7-7:30 am, if you circle the 7 for 7 am you will get your order around that time. Sometimes they don't knock very well so be aware.

Large swells but the ship is fine. Nice warm sunshine for a change.

I'll post some of my photos soon when I return.

This is my first time posting my trip so I hope that you have enjoyed reading about it.

Remember if you are booking a tour you don't have to rush and take the first tour. The later tours will go to the same place.

Tom:o

Tom - thank you for posting during your trip! Enjoyed it very much. A lot of useful information, appreciated you taking the time and sharing your thoughts & experiences.

I have always wanted to try to do a "Live from", maybe I will try it next month. I always "chicken out".

Thank you again,

Sue from Fairfield, CA

bdjam...will you be doing a "live from the grand" when you go to alaska? if not, will you do a review of the ship? what type of cabin will you have?

cheers

I usually don't do "live froms" when I'm cruising because my internet usage is sporadic - I like to unplug. But I might be persuaded. :) Definitely can do a review of the ship upon return. I have a standard balcony cabin on Aloha deck. Princess hooked me once by upgrading me to a balcony and I haven't been able to go back. Will be traveling with six other friends - although I have the cabin solo.

Oh and just for the record, I'm a UC Berkeley alumni - those USC Trojans have been a thorn in our side for years :)

Brian,

I am just jumping in to say "HI" to you. I board the Grand tomorrow. Finally talked my husband into going on an Alaska cruise.

I have fond memories of the Hawaii cruise I met you on.

Jayne

Hi Jayne - I think of you often up there in Marin golfing away :) I hope you have a great cruise. I remember the fun of that Hawaii cruise as well - and remember we were on the plane together coming and going. I don't remember your friend's name but I do remember that you both conked out on me on the flight home...I was talking and all of a sudden I realize you both were asleep!!

Hope you have a great vacation and I bet Mr. Jayne will fall in love with Alaska!

hello again brian,

i lived in the bay area for 20 years and i also was a cal football fan besides usc, of course. i loved to wander around telegraph avenue in berkeley.

the same thing happened to me on holland america. they offered me an upgrade to a mini suite that i couldn't refuse and i got hooked on mini suites ever since. my preferred mini suite on princess ships is the last mini suite on emerald deck. i like a covered balcony and the emerald deck is the only deck that has covered mini suites. and the very last mini suites have balconies twice as large and curved so you can see the ship's wake from it. and i travel solo too.

when are you sailing on the grand? i mean what date so i can follow along.

cheers

Hello, Tom -

I have a favor to ask. I have heard that a performer I love, Maurizio. was to be on the Grand through May. I would love to know if he is still on the ship. Can you check your Princess Patter and see if he is in Crooner's? If you'd let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Shirleen

Hello, Tom -

I have a favor to ask. I have heard that a performer I love, Maurizio. was to be on the Grand through May. I would love to know if he is still on the ship. Can you check your Princess Patter and see if he is in Crooner's? If you'd let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Shirleen

We just got off the ship the day Tom got on. Maurizio was packing them in at Crooners on our cruise.

I will be sailing on Grand Princess in 10 days! I will be interested to see if Millie's Mom does some posting while on the trip as she is sailing from SF today. I see from your signature that you've got a cruise planned on her in September so I will try to remember to let you know my impressions...I'm making some adjustments to my usual cruise rituals based on what the group of friends are wanting to do, so it should be interesting...

I will be sailing on Grand Princess in 10 days! I will be interested to see if Millie's Mom does some posting while on the trip as she is sailing from SF today. I see from your signature that you've got a cruise planned on her in September so I will try to remember to let you know my impressions...I'm making some adjustments to my usual cruise rituals based on what the group of friends are wanting to do, so it should be interesting...

Hi, Brian

Keep me in mind too! We are taking our whole family to AK on the Grand in July and I'm a little nervous about some of the feedback I've received re: food and "wetness" in some cabin areas. :eek: There are 20 of us and, naturally, I want everything to be perfect...:cool:

XOXO

Maureen

Hi, Brian

Keep me in mind too! We are taking our whole family to AK on the Grand in July and I'm a little nervous about some of the feedback I've received re: food and "wetness" in some cabin areas. :eek: There are 20 of us and, naturally, I want everything to be perfect...:cool:

XOXO

Maureen

Hey there - good to "see" you and I hope you're well. I will keep you in mind as well. I know the postings can be a little concerning - one reason I keep asking too - but every time I've seen a lot of bad 'press' about a ship, I've gotten there and everything's been fine...so I hope my luck holds out this time!

20 people!! You're either a saint or you're crazy!! :D

TOM, Thanks for handling the Meet & Greet, Slot Pull and 2nd Meet & Greet/Exchange. You not only got Captain Tony to attend, but also his Hotel Mgr. Leo, Cruise Director Warren, 2 Paramedics and the Ship's Photographer. You did GOOD :D. I found out that I'll be cruising with Capt. Tony later on Emerald Princess, Sept 26, 2013, Copenhagen to NY. Spoke to the two Paramedics. One from NY and the other is from Seattle. Seems they can cover the ship faster. CD Warren was a real KICK. Fast wit and very funny. He was a professional ballroom dancer and he taught the Merengue dance class. Like you, the boarding was fast. We dropped off our luggage at 11:15. Return at 12:15 and sent to the check in counter for our Cruise Card. In our stateroom by 12:30. I was scheduled for Staggered Boarding 2 to 3pm. Today, getting off was even faster. Scheduled for 8 am Walkoff. Got off at 8:10, picked up my car at 8:30 and home to Walnut Creek at exactly 9:25 am. This cruise was the smoothest ever, out of 6 cruises to Alaska. Max Sea State was no more that 5 feet. Thanks again TOM. See you cruising in the future. Gimer

Archived