Harwich, Windsor LHR Rental Car

DanL

We disembark cruise on a Saturday and considering renting from Europcar. They appear to be right at the port. Then drive to Windsor castle, do a tour then drop the car for our 4:20 flight.

Seems pretty easy. What am i missing?

Seems pretty easy. What am i missing?
It's not impossible, but you want to have a clear think about how much time you have.

If your flight is at 4.20 pm, you'll probably want to be at the Europcar depot at Heathrow no later than about 1.50 pm (2½ hours before the flight) because the process of dropping off the car and getting the shuttle bus to the terminal is likely to take between 30 and 60 minutes. You'll need to find some time to fill the car with petrol before you hand it back.

The drive from Harwich to Windsor will take at least two hours. So if you're actually on the road from Harwich at 9.00 am, you'll probably only get about two hours or so in Windsor. (You still need to allow some time to drive from Windsor to Heathrow, including finding the Europcar depot there.)

You'll have to think about whether that's worth it.

The other thing is to ask whether there's a one-way drop fee. If there is and it's big, that could make the venture quite uneconomic.

[quote name=You'll have to think about whether that's worth it.

The other thing is to ask whether there's a one-way drop fee. If there is and it's big' date=' that could make the venture quite uneconomic.[/quote]

Thanks Globalizer. My thoughts-since it is a Saturday morn, the traffic should be less and I did check the drop charge. Total price ~150 USD and since there are 4 of us it is more economical than shuttle. Celebrity runs same route tour for that day but is 122 USD pp. They say no flights before 3:30 and we should be as fast as a tour bus.

Oh, one more question is Windsor worth the trip?

Oh, one more question is Windsor worth the trip?
It's definitely worth it. The only question is really whether it's worth doing this to spend only a couple of hours there.

It sounds to me, though, that the Celebrity tour might even give you even less time there.

One other thing that has occurred to me about your plan. If there are four of you in one car, at least some of your luggage is likely to have to be in plain sight when you park your car. That will inevitably be a security risk when you leave the car. You will have to be aware of the (small) risk that someone will have tried to get at the luggage while you're away from the car.

One other thing that has occurred to me about your plan. If there are four of you in one car, at least some of your luggage is likely to have to be in plain sight when you park your car. That will inevitably be a security risk when you leave the car. You will have to be aware of the (small) risk that someone will have tried to get at the luggage while you're away from the car.

Good point. We'll have to think about that. Thanks for your good comments.

• 2 weeks later...

Europecar/national/alamo

do a 1way, one day, airport special rate from £49. UK midsize £60-£70.

for 4 people then a larger car will be needed depending on No. of bags £70-£90

here is the national link the others have the same.

http://www.nationalcar.co.uk/Hotdeals/630/uk/zluk_airportconnect

last time we looked there was no office in Harwich seems they do now which is great it opens up loads of new options for people as Harwich is not the easiest place to get to.

Opens at 8:00am so pickups from the ship could be early I guess they get in erly when there are ships in town.

A car can be cheaper than other transport options.

Drop off the bags/pax at airport then drop the car bags free.

(which terminal)

with a good run you might get 3+hr in windsor.

I still think you are mad if you do this

The M1 around Heathrow is called the world largest parking lot .:rolleyes:

Very similar in speed to where all the highways come together in LA. :eek:

If you miss your plane I am not sure the Insurance Co will feel sorry for you.

Check

And what if it is raining etc

Have you checked Windsor Castle is open ??

If you do get a car you will probably need a

Intermediate Wagon/Estate: Ford Mondeo Estate 1.8 or similar

5 med sized people . 6 bags . £75.60

Booking Summary

Pick up

Harwich, International Port

20 Nov 2013 08:00

Drop off

London Heathrow Airport

20 Nov 2013 16:30

Rental Period

1 Days

Each new day counts as a new rental period.

Vehicle

Intermediate Wagon 5-Door/Manual/Air Package

Show package inclusions

Additional charges

Charge Per Mile After 200 Mile £0.10

Extras

Not yet chosen

Package Price

(Pay on arrival)

£75.60

Additional Charges & Extras £0.10

Estimated Total £75.70

Plus allow about 25GBP for petrol and parking at Windsor.

One thought to take into account is that to get to Windsor you turn off the M25 onto the M4 at the same point that you would exit for Heathrow. If you are delayed, you can make a decision then about whether to go to Windsor or not.

From the M25 I would allow half an hour to get to Windsor, so; based on checking in at 2pm, you would need to be passing at no later than 10:30 to make it worthwhile. With luck and a following wind, you should be able to do it.

Since it will be a Saturday, would traffic be lighter?

It opens at 0945 and says "A typical visit lasts 2-3 hours."

Good idea to make a decision on the turnoff of M25/M4.

Celebrity has a tour that does it on day of departure & we should be faster. Normally don't do ship tours.

With 4 the shuttle costs add up my guess is the car, even a big one, will be cheaper.

Any Windsor time is a bonus.

On a Sat, risk is lower of the carpark situation on the M25.

Depending on terminal the drop off pax first will work.

maps.google says trave time is 2.5hrs total having done the runs I think 3hr is safe giving well lover 2hr and potentialy over 3hr in windsor

http://*******/maps/s8NmC

so short google URl are blocked lets do a full one of the map/directions.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Harwich+International+Port,+Station+Road,+Parkeston&daddr=Windsor+Castle,+Windsor+to:TW6+2QE&hl=en&ll=51.725327,0.683899&spn=0.823444,1.919861&sll=51.71301,0.323937&sspn=0.823661,1.919861&geocode=FX2nGAMdLigTACGyA1CgLlsk4ilLfy8YqHbZRzGyA1CgLlsk4g%3BFaSUEQMdMMb2_yHl4ffFRkgvzimb6LU2OxF2SDHl4ffFRkgvzg%3BFQaEEQMdyM74_yl1gut7h3F2SDH6_Dn8aIDKuw&mra=ls&t=m&z=9

The M1 around Heathrow is called the world largest parking lot .:rolleyes:
Since it will be a Saturday, would traffic be lighter?
It's the M25, and it should be fine on a Saturday morning.

I think that visitors to the London area can get rather more spooked by the M25 than those of us who actually use it on a regular basis. You have to know what you are dealing with, but most of the time it is a splendid way to get around London at a steady 85 mph.

I have family who basically live in the far corner of the London area from where I do, and my fastest and most reliable route is to head out to the M25, drive half way around it, and then back in to them.

Archived