Rum Point in Grand Cayman - has anyone been there?

njreindeer

Hi everyone,

I spent a week in Grand Cayman back in 1989 and absolutely loved the island and its people. I vaguely remember a place called Rum Point there, with a laid-back, little tropical bar, and a beach with a sand bar that went out pretty far into the water -- you could walk FAR out into the water and still only be around ankle deep. I even remember taking a picture with the Governor of Grand Cayman at this bar, but unfortunately I can't find my pictures! Did I dream this place up, or has anyone been there recently?

I've told my hubby about this beautiful, lazy place to while away a few hours, and we're thinking about heading there after the obligatory Stingray City snorkeling tour. Also, does anyone know if we can get a cab to Rum Point after Stingray City and still make it back in time for our ship's departure?

Any info is helpful. Thanks so much!

Time 'til Mariner on 8/29/04 -- our first cruise!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;8;29;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

YUP, YYou got it right, Rum point is on the the northside across the bay from the main tourist area on the west side. Its accesible by ferry, but we had rented a car and drove all the way around to get there. It is a cozy little spot to have a drink, talk to a parrot and lay back in a hammock while live music plays. I snorkeled there too, but it wasnt that good for that, just a place to unwind. Its quite a hotspot in the evening.
Rick

mrrick747 - Thank you! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I remember the parrot now too! We had a rental car as well and I think that's how we found the place, were just driving all around the island. I don't remember how far the docks for the Stingray City boats are from Rum Point -- do you think we'll have enough time to do Stingray City and then hang out a bit at Rum Point?

Thanks again!

Time 'til Mariner on 8/29/04 -- our first cruise!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;8;29;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

If you do plan on going to Rum Point, plan on renting a car, or using the ferry. When we where there in April, we had planned on grabbing a taxi. We then found out it was about $100 each way. We had to settle for 7 mile beach. Next time we will definitely rent a car and head to Rum Point.

Archived