Dinner in Fort Lauderdale

marlinmike

Can anybody give me any info on the Hampton Inn Airport North in ft lauderdale. My familly and I are looking for a nice inexpensive hotel for a pre-cruise in Feb 12th. We are cruising on the 13th and everybody says you should arrive earlier. Especially if you live in Ohio like me.

Actually, it's called the 15th Street Fisheries (you'd be going crazy trying to find this restaurant on 14th street!!!LOL).

The restaurant is wonderful and has fantastic views (request a table by the window). If you opt for the Sunset Dinner Specials (must be seated by 5:30 p.m.), the price is only $16.95 for a complete dinner. After that, the menu is quite pricey.

It's a very popular restaurant, so if you are going on a Friday or Saturday evening, I would call ahead for reservations.

there are all sorts of discussions here about what are the best FLL hotels, but the majority of posters seem to agree on this: book through priceline and you'll save a bundle.

if you've never used priceline, check out biddingfortravel.com it provides a "how-to" section, reviews of FLL hotels, what hotels are in which neighborhood and star category (essential) and a message board where people post how much they paid on priceline.

from my observations, most people here love the Embassy Suites for pre-cruise stays. we prefer the hyatt pier 66 because of the pool, revolving restaurant overlooking cruise ships and walk along yacht docked at the canal. both are available on priceline. but there are lots of other choices, too.

we're from ohio, too...and flying in a day early is essential, especially during the winter when flights can be haphazard.

Is two miles "nearby" for you? If so, there are the places on Las Olas Blvd. La Bonne Crepe, if you like that sort of thing.

Your hotel's website says:

Area Restaurants

Chuck's Steakhouse

Bravo's Italian

Georgio's

Carlos N Pepes

Bimini Boatyard

jaime, I am spending a week in ft. lauderdale before the cruise, can you tell me more about these shows? Is it the normal menu you are served? Good for 29-30 yr olds? I am a vegetarian, is it worth it for me? Thanks!

To the poster who asked about the Hampton Inn Airport North: We stayed there in April and found it a good place to overnite. Our room was good sized, and clean. The bathroom was goodsized and clean also (important for me). We also had plenty of towels, etc. coffee maker, refrig, microwave. I booked directly through Hamp. Inn website and got AAA discount as well. The hotel has shuttle that will pickup at a/p and take you to pier. Their shuttles have pink flamingos on the roof, and while it is kind of corny :-) you can spot them coming, which is a help at any airport!! They gave us an assigned time to go to the pier the next day (12:15) and the shuttle was very prompt and driver pleasant.

The staff were all friendly and there is a free computer in the lobby for guests to use. (I did not even have to wait to use it, hardly anyone was taking advantage of it for some reason that day). Breakfast is the usual stuff one comes to associate with this level of hotel - serve yourself - fruit, juice, coffee, tea, breads, cereal, muffins, etc. I am not a fan of this sort of breakfast (I hate paper plates, paper cups, etc --just my personal quirk), but it will certainly serve filling you up till you get to the ship.

There is a Winn-Dixie grocery in the strip mall across the street, as well as McDonald's and Wendy's. We had been up since 4 a.m. (flew in from Phoenix) and were exhausted so we went to grocery store and got some sandwiches for "dinner" in our room. Not exactly gourmet dining, but we were too tired to go anyplace and as far as we could see there were no "real" restuarants in immediate area anyway.

For overnite this Hampton Inn is just fine, I probably would not choose to stay there for a vacation, and I rather doubt if many do. The desk clerk told us they are filled up all the time, mostly with cruisers.

bickee -

the shows were great. felt like I was in Hawaii. the dancers twirled fire and there was even a competition between dancers where the audience applause determined who won. very colorful costumes. we ordered off the regular menu. I'm not vegetarian, but i think most asian menus have vegetables entrees. definately good for 29-30 yr olds.

not only is the show great, but the grounds around the place are something to see as well. The restaurant is set up where there are different "rooms" within the main dining area. there are outdoor areas and gardens to walk around. well worth an evening's entertainment. Enjoy!

On April 7th we paid $80/nite for Hampton Inn Airport North. I originally booked it about 10 months out when it was listed as $125 but I watched the web site to see if I could catch a lower rate ... and lo and behold I did. I am not sure why it went to $80, but it was just after hurricane season when I saw the rate lowered, so I called 800 number and got lower rate. I rather doubt if it is that low now, but I have not checked as we will not be in FLL this year again. The $80 rate was the AAA rate.

Archived