Photo Allure vs Titanic

THE TITANIC

We all think of the Titanic as a big ocean liner well at least I did until I saw

the following size comparison -- Titanic vs Allure of the Seas Cruise Ship

get-attachment.aspx?uid=29954360&folder=%2fJohn+and+Anitra&partId=3

Not that big, was it?

Well, something to remember - Titanic was around 46,000 tons. Smaller than anything on RCIs current roster. Also, that ship was made of iron rather than more modern & lighter metals used now. That to me means, a ship from modern materials that weighs in a 46,000 tons could be a bit larger than Titanic due to lighter materials.

Even so, Titanic was the largest moving object when it was built.

JM

We thought Oasis was huge. Took us 2 days to walk the entire ship top to bottom. We were impressed with the size, but geez, I felt faint going from my cabin , to the boardwalk area.

I am looking forward to cruising on a smaller ship in a few months.

Well, something to remember - Titanic was around 46,000 tons. Smaller than anything on RCIs current roster. Also, that ship was made of iron rather than more modern & lighter metals used now. That to me means, a ship from modern materials that weighs in a 46,000 tons could be a bit larger than Titanic due to lighter materials.

Even so, Titanic was the largest moving object when it was built.

JM

Well, maybe an expert can chime in here, but its my understanding that for cruise ships the tonnage is neither the actual weight of the ship, or the weight of water displaced (these two might be the same?), but is a calculation that has more to do with interior volume.

Also, can't see the picture either.

Gross tonnage [gt] and gross register tonnage [grt] are measures of enclosed volume rather than weight. gt and grt are similar, but not the same. grt is an obsolete measurement that was replaced by gt beginning in the early 1980s and fully implemented by 1994. If you see any ship built since 1994 listed with a grt measurement, I suspect someone is just being sloppy and really means gt.

Displacement [confusingly measured in "tons"] is a measure of mass, or on the surface of the earth, weight. Titanic was about 46,000 grt compared to the Oases at 226,000. Titanic displaced [weighed] a little over 52,000 tons. Allure and Oasis are approx 100,000.

Goes to show how, as journeyman said, today's use of lighter materials allows larger ships without the corresponding weight that would have resulted from use of 1912 materials and techniques.

Also, that ship was made of iron rather than more modern & lighter metals used now. That to me means, a ship from modern materials that weighs in a 46,000 tons could be a bit larger than Titanic due to lighter materials.

The "gross tonnage" measurement used for ships is not the mass of the ship (i.e. the "weight" of the ship if you had a gigantic scale you could put it on). Gross tonnage is actually a volume measurement of the enclosed interior space of the ship. One ship made out of balsa wood and a 2nd ship with the exact same dimensions made out of steel would both have the same gross tonnage because their volume would be the same.

The "weight" of a ship you are referring to is a measurement known as "displacement". It is called displacement because the actual weight of a ship is equal to the weight of the water it displaces. Titanic had a displacement of around 52,000 tons. Oasis of the Seas has a displacement of around 100,000 tons.

So while the volume (gross tonnage) of Oasis is about 6 times that of Titanic, if you could put them on giant scales the weight (displacement) of Oasis is only about twice that of Titanic.

Archived