Vegan Meal in the Steakhouse?

LadyBurdett

I have reservations for the Steakhouse on our upcoming cruise on the Liberty in June. One, in our group of 5, follows a vegan diet (no meat, eggs, dairy). Have any of you had experience with ordering a vegan dish from the Steakhouse?

I have reservations for the Steakhouse on our upcoming cruise on the Liberty in June. One, in our group of 5, follows a vegan diet (no meat, eggs, dairy). Have any of you had experience with ordering a vegan dish from the Steakhouse?

If you call special needs department im sure they can make it happen for you.Alot of indian cooks onboard and they offer great vegetarian entrees (not sure if vegan though)

Hard to remember back to that time but my husband was a vegetarian for twenty years until he got really sick from the soy and other issues. Anyway- he did eat a vegetarian meal at the steakhouse. He crafted together a bunch of sides and apps. Here is the menu: https://secure.carnival.com/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/Steakhousemenupdf.ashx

There is a chance that that's an old menu, but it should give you an idea. As you can see, you could have a fine vegan meal.

Hard to remember back to that time but my husband was a vegetarian for twenty years until he got really sick from the soy and other issues. Anyway- he did eat a vegetarian meal at the steakhouse. He crafted together a bunch of sides and apps. Here is the menu: https://secure.carnival.com/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/Steakhousemenupdf.ashx

There is a chance that that's an old menu, but it should give you an idea. As you can see, you could have a fine vegan meal.

Definitely should contact special needs/guest services or whomever. Looking at the menu there is almost nothing there that is VEGAN. A vegetarian meal could probably be cobbled together, but several of the veggie dishes are or could be made with cheese or butter. However, I'm pretty sure, with all the multicultural chefs/staff on board, that something appropriate could be whipped up with advance notice.

Menu looks current. At least it reflects the menu I had in Feb.

Hi, LadyBurdett. If you do get an official response from CCL, please be sure to come back and share it with us. One of my best friends will no longer cruise because he went vegan about 6 months ago and was told by both CCL and RCI that they could not accomodate a vegan diet other than fruits and select salads so to him, it wasn't worth it to cruise any longer. I don't know if he just called customer service or if he went to the proper departments but I would think if they can accomodate gluten-free and other special diets, they could accomodate vegans as well.

Definitely should contact special needs/guest services or whomever. Looking at the menu there is almost nothing there that is VEGAN. A vegetarian meal could probably be cobbled together, but several of the veggie dishes are or could be made with cheese or butter. However, I'm pretty sure, with all the multicultural chefs/staff on board, that something appropriate could be whipped up with advance notice.

Grilled portobello mushroom app

Possibly baked onion soup with cheese off (ask but doubtful)

Spinach and mushroom salad with oil and vinegar

2 baked potatoes with sautéed mushrooms (in oil) on top

Steamed broccoli

The idea is not to have a major vegan meal, the idea is to get by in a steakhousewith a limited menu so that you can be with your friends and family. Seems ok to me for that purpose.

Hi, LadyBurdett. If you do get an official response from CCL, please be sure to come back and share it with us. One of my best friends will no longer cruise because he went vegan about 6 months ago and was told by both CCL and RCI that they could not accomodate a vegan diet other than fruits and select salads so to him, it wasn't worth it to cruise any longer. I don't know if he just called customer service or if he went to the proper departments but I would think if they can accomodate gluten-free and other special diets, they could accomodate vegans as well.

I had no idea they didn't accomodate vegans. It's much easier to be vegetarian. But, of course, it isn't about ease. :o

Grilled portobello mushroom app

Possibly baked onion soup with cheese off (ask but doubtful)

Spinach and mushroom salad with oil and vinegar

2 baked potatoes with sautéed mushrooms (in oil) on top

Steamed broccoli

The idea is not to have a major vegan meal, the idea is to get by in a steakhousewith a limited menu so that you can be with your friends and family. Seems ok to me for that purpose.

You can take the onion soup off that list. It's not even vegetarian, let alone vegan.

The vast majority of Indian food is NOT vegan.

There is however quite a lot that is. I am currently on an essentially vegan diet with the exception of eggs for a health fix. Not sure what kind of asian food carnival cook as I have never sailed but...

You can have any tomato based vegetable curry dish (although many curries are cream/yoghurt based many are not)

You can have most rice dishes that do not contain meat or eggs as a side or main.

With starters you ca have pakoras, Bhajis, Chickpea fritters, bombay potatoes (check these though as sometimes prepared with yoghurt), Phulouries, chutneys, rice balls

I also suggest trying out the chinese/Japanese if it is on board as they don't really use dairy so any veggie dish will also be vegan.

Do all ships have an asian corner?

Yes, come to think of it it must have a beef broth base. Duh me.

Yes, it's a veal stock. That makes me sad as I love onion soup, but will not eat veal. So, I've never gotten to try it. I've heard it's great. But, a vegetarian or vegan would not be happy. :eek:

I'm all for giving fair accomodations to people with dietary needs, but a vegan meal in a steakhouse is pushing it. After all, the disclaimer about food being served is right there in the name. Steakhouse, by definition, means meat. Vegan dishes are an afterthought there. So expecting a vegan dish that can compete with steaks is not reasonable, and uts an undue burden on the chefs.

It's different in the OP's case, where she has a family member who wants to join everybody else. But that person's menu choices will be limited to pretty much what Seago2 pointed out, plus a fruit plate for dessert. I'm sure they can bring out a portobello mushroom cap burger with fries, but that'd be an off-menu item that they have to rush at the last minute to make. Also, the family member will really stand out from the rest of the group, which could make him/her feel awkward. If the OP's ship has Cucina del Capitano, I say go there instead of the steakhouse. Italian cuisine has plenty of vegetable dishes that taste good in their own right, rather than functioning as sides to a steak. And they look fairly similar to mainstream non-vegan dishes, which puts the group on equal footing.

Yes, it's a veal stock. That makes me sad as I love onion soup, but will not eat veal. So, I've never gotten to try it. I've heard it's great. But, a vegetarian or vegan would not be happy. :eek:

Are you sure its veal stock on Carnival? I was just wondering because it would be cheaper for them to make it with general beef stock so you could be ok. :)

In France they often make it with standard fresh beef stock anyways

If I go to the steakhouse on my cruise I'll be none vegan then thank goodness but having eaten like a vegan for a while now I am not too bothered when people eat meat in front of me. Saying that if I was a true vegan and the wine wasn't vegetarian I may go a bit nutty!

Are you sure its veal stock on Carnival? I was just wondering because it would be cheaper for them to make it with general beef stock so you could be ok. :)

In France they often make it with standard fresh beef stock anyways

If I go to the steakhouse on my cruise I'll be none vegan then thank goodness but having eaten like a vegan for a while now I am not too bothered when people eat meat in front of me. Saying that if I was a true vegan and the wine wasn't vegetarian I may go a bit nutty!

Yes, it is. I asked this question not long ago because I've never tried the onion soup and was planning to have it on our upcoming cruise since we're eating in the steakhouse three times--I figured I could forego my beloved escargot on one of those evenings! The recipe was published and it was confirmed they use veal stock. Ugh. There's absolutely nothing I want to try bad enough to eat veal. So, no onion soup for me.

Yes, it is. I asked this question not long ago because I've never tried the onion soup and was planning to have it on our upcoming cruise since we're eating in the steakhouse three times--I figured I could forego my beloved escargot on one of those evenings! The recipe was published and it was confirmed they use veal stock. Ugh. There's absolutely nothing I want to try bad enough to eat veal. So, no onion soup for me.

Oh no, maybe you can hunt out a beef stock French Onion soup near your home :) It will be just as delicious.

Oh no, maybe you can hunt out a beef stock French Onion soup near your home :) It will be just as delicious.

I've had excellent versions of onion soup--that's why I wanted to try it in the steakhouse. People rave about it. I'm just glad I asked the question ahead of time. They really should note that on the menu. A lot of people object to eating veal.

I'm all for giving fair accomodations to people with dietary needs, but a vegan meal in a steakhouse is pushing it. After all, the disclaimer about food being served is right there in the name. Steakhouse, by definition, means meat. Vegan dishes are an afterthought there. So expecting a vegan dish that can compete with steaks is not reasonable, and uts an undue burden on the chefs.

It's different in the OP's case, where she has a family member who wants to join everybody else. But that person's menu choices will be limited to pretty much what Seago2 pointed out, plus a fruit plate for dessert. I'm sure they can bring out a portobello mushroom cap burger with fries, but that'd be an off-menu item that they have to rush at the last minute to make. Also, the family member will really stand out from the rest of the group, which could make him/her feel awkward. If the OP's ship has Cucina del Capitano, I say go there instead of the steakhouse. Italian cuisine has plenty of vegetable dishes that taste good in their own right, rather than functioning as sides to a steak. And they look fairly similar to mainstream non-vegan dishes, which puts the group on equal footing.

I agree with you. Perhaps if you call ahead they can get something for you from the MDR and you won't have to pay the surcharge. Just a thought!:)

I'm all for giving fair accomodations to people with dietary needs, but a vegan meal in a steakhouse is pushing it.

Mostly, it's just pretty funny.

That meal will likely come from the regular dining room.

Paying the steakhouuse rate for it would be a tough meal to eat.

Not quite true, my sister is vegan and she says that steakhouse actually have the best salads. Unfortunately, she hasn't had a chance to go on a cruise yet, so I can't help the op with vegan choices

If the OP's ship has Cucina del Capitano, I say go there instead of the steakhouse. Italian cuisine has plenty of vegetable dishes that taste good in their own right, rather than functioning as sides to a steak. And they look fairly similar to mainstream non-vegan dishes, which puts the group on equal footing.

My sister says that other than regular pasta with red sauce Italian food doesn't really lean towards the vegan lifestyle. Those veggie dishes usually contain butter and more of the other sauces have cream, milk, butter, and/or of course cheese! She is one of the stricter variety of vegan, she doesn't even eat honey because it comes from an animal.:eek:

Archived