Excursions with a 3 1/2 year old

We will be sailing with 8 other family members on the Freedom of the Seas at the end of June for a Western Caribbean itinerary. This will be my 3 1/2 year old daughters' first cruise and she is very excited.

Can any of you recommend any excursions that you have taken children on? I read somewhere that children 4 and under were cheaper than a child rate, but I am not sure that is accurate. Has anyone heard of this?

Which ports are you going to?

I took my 3 1/2 year old daughter on Independence in January and went to Costa Maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

I noticed that a lot of times there was a "reduced" rate for kids on the cruiseline sponsored excursions, but wasn't too much of a deal. I found much better deals through independent tour operators, in fact on all three of the excursions we went on she was free.

Whether ship sponsored or independent, some excursions charge less for kids and some don't it just depends. As for the age four thing, again it will just depend on the excursion, there's no across the board standard. Many offer adult and child prices, but I've never seen one where there was a third price tier for "under 4".

We are going to Labadee, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Falmouth, Jamaica.

Cozumel we went to Chankanaab Park and did the Dolphin Encounter through Dolphin Discovery. She was free, booked through Shore Excursions Group.

Grand Cayman we took the city bus and went to the turtle farm. Booked on the turtle farm website. Again, she was free.

She loved both. Would recommend them for a child her age.

Archived