Freedom cabin temperature too warm

is 76 Degrees too warm for cabin temps?  

238 members have voted

1. 1. is 76 Degrees too warm for cabin temps?

• 76 is too warm
    • 76 is acceptable

Something tells me if folks started exercising the Carnival Vacation Guarantee where Carnival has to reimburse you for your family's airfare back to the home port and reimburse you for the rest of your cruise......they would get those ACs working!

76 would be to warm for me....because there is no air movement in those cabins.

I keep my house on 74 BUT I have ceiling fans in every room on constantly.

Something tells me if folks started exercising the Carnival Vacation Guarantee where Carnival has to reimburse you for your family's airfare back to the home port and reimburse you for the rest of your cruise......they would get those ACs working!

76 would be to warm for me....because there is no air movement in those cabins.

I keep my house on 74 BUT I have ceiling fans in every room on constantly.

I hadn't thought of that. Excellent idea!

I need the cabin to be cool, after being out and about in the heat most of the day.

At least 73. Preferably 70-71.

If that was the best they could do, then my shower would be on cold and left running all day, to moderate the temperature in the cabin.

Bill

Does this really work?

I wish Carnival would have it where the A/C turns off when the balcony doors are open. That would stop alot of that. I think some of the newer ships may have that.

...Umm, they do. The AC will turn off when the balcony door is opened, except when the magnet trick is used (let's not go into that.) So, the cabin AC is off at the same time the warm Caribbean air is rushing in. Warms up the cabin and the hallways. AC has to work twice as hard to cool off the cabin.

On the Elation February and May, we froze (it was great! LOL). Just came off of a B2B on the Conquest, and the temp in our cabin was very unpleasant! On Day 1, called, someone checked the temp, said it was too warm and someone would come to check it. That night, someone came while we were out of the room and left a note that it was within their standards. Grrr. Next day, I called again. Housekeeping came, said it was too warm (they said the norm was 71-76), and would send someone immediately. Someone was there within maybe 20 minutes (with a supervisor and our room steward standing there watching...). They removed the cover from the vent and did something to allow more airflow.

Now, the room was still never quite as cool as I would have liked it - it hovered around 72-74 most of the time, I think, and that was with the lights off/drapes closed most of the trip, but it was tolerable. They also sent a fan to our room and that night (second night), they called and gave us each a 20% refund for those two days for being uncomfortable. So I can't really complain.

However, while I understand energy conservation, each person is different and should have control of their heating/cooling system.

On the Elation February and May' date=' we froze (it was great! LOL). Just came off of a B2B on the Conquest, and the temp in our cabin was very unpleasant! On Day 1, called, someone checked the temp, said it was too warm and someone would come to check it. That night, someone came while we were out of the room and left a note that it was within their standards. Grrr. Next day, I called again. Housekeeping came, said it was too warm (they said the norm was 71-76), and would send someone immediately. Someone was there within maybe 20 minutes (with a supervisor and our room steward standing there watching...). They removed the cover from the vent and did something to allow more airflow.

Now, the room was still never quite as cool as I would have liked it - it hovered around 72-74 most of the time, I think, and that was with the lights off/drapes closed most of the trip, but it was tolerable. They also sent a fan to our room and that night (second night), they called and gave us each a 20% refund for those two days for being uncomfortable. So I can't really complain.

However, while I understand energy conservation, each person is different and should have control of their heating/cooling system.[/quote']

Who did you call, guest services or the room steward? I read another thread where the first thing they do is remover the cover and leave it off the entire cruise and that helps. Did the leave your cover off, or were they able to adjust it and replace the cover.

I like my room temp. like the fire station bunk room.

It should be just above absoluite zero, where there is

still some movement of molecules, just enough to be able to get

up for an alarm.

Spending sleepy time under three blankets.:D

I'm good at 70 with a fan, 66-68 without.

Just to be clear, is the ambient temperature of the room supposd to be a maximum of 76, or are they putting the thermometer in front of the air register and the air exiting the register is supposed to be 76?

For home systems, the air coming out of vents should be about 15 degrees colder than the air in the room. So at means the air out of the vents should be measuring in the low sixties. This is why my AC setting is lower in the spring and fall when outside air temps are in the mid seventies - it never runs so I never get cold air blowing on me unless I turn the thermostat to like 70. Conversely, in the summer I set it to 76 and it runs frequently, so I always have ~60 degree air blowing on me even though the thermostat is set higher.

Also, comparing thermostats settings plus or minus a few degrees really doesn't mean much... Thermostat is only at one location, but you spend time throughout to the house. For example, if the thermostat was next to a really hot window, you might feel like you're freezing to death with it set at 79 degrees (the AC can't cool the thermostat to that temp because it's always hot, so it runs constantly and other areas of the house get much colder.) Conversely, if the thermostat sits in a nice cool spot and you sit next to a hot window, you're gonna have it set to 70 and still be burning up.

Just to be clear, is the ambient temperature of the room supposd to be a maximum of 76, or are they putting the thermometer in front of the air register and the air exiting the register is supposed to be 76?

For home systems, the air coming out of vents should be about 15 degrees colder than the air in the room. So at means the air out of the vents should be measuring in the low sixties. This is why my AC setting is lower in the spring and fall when outside air temps are in the mid seventies - it never runs so I never get cold air blowing on me unless I turn the thermostat to like 70. Conversely, in the summer I set it to 76 and it runs frequently, so I always have ~60 degree air blowing on me even though the thermostat is set higher.

Also, comparing thermostats settings plus or minus a few degrees really doesn't mean much... Thermostat is only at one location, but you spend time throughout to the house. For example, if the thermostat was next to a really hot window, you might feel like you're freezing to death with it set at 79 degrees (the AC can't cool the thermostat to that temp because it's always hot, so it runs constantly and other areas of the house get much colder.) Conversely, if the thermostat sits in a nice cool spot and you sit next to a hot window, you're gonna have it set to 70 and still be burning up.

The thermostat isn't a true thermostat like you have at home. Its basically a damper control. You can't set the thermostat at a certain temp, you can only control the air flow.

The thermostat isn't a true thermostat like you have at home. Its basically a damper control. You can't set the thermostat at a certain temp, you can only control the air flow.

I know that, I'm just saying that people comparing their home thermostat settings between one another is pointless.

However, on the ship, the air coming out of the vents still needs to be 10 or 15 degrees cooler than 76 or the cabin will not be cooled effectively. That's true regardless of what type of cooling system it is.

So any maintenance person who comes and puts the thermometer in front of a vent and says "it's 75.9, so it's good" is cheating the customer. If the vent is that warm it's probably well over 80 degrees in the rest of the cabin.

I know that, I'm just saying that people comparing their home thermostat settings between one another is pointless.

However, on the ship, the air coming out of the vents still needs to be 10 or 15 degrees cooler than 76 or the cabin will not be cooled effectively. That's true regardless of what type of cooling system it is.

So any maintenance person who comes and puts the thermometer in front of a vent and says "it's 75.9, so it's good" is cheating the customer. If the vent is that warm it's probably well over 80 degrees in the rest of the cabin.

Thank you, mental note made for my upcoming cruise. At least I'll have some info to argue my point with if needed. But as a positive person, hopefully I won't need to.

Who did you call, guest services or the room steward? I read another thread where the first thing they do is remover the cover and leave it off the entire cruise and that helps. Did the leave your cover off, or were they able to adjust it and replace the cover.

I called down to guest services the first time. Instead of getting a person on the Conquest, you get a menu, and I chose the option for maintenance. The second time, I actually went to guest services and pointed out I was staying two weeks, and really needed a comfortable temperature (yes, I was very polite and all smiles - I've learned it works much better! LOL). Each time, they sent someone from Housekeeping to check the temperature. When someone from maintenance came the second time, they sent along a supervisor and my room steward, I guess to make sure it was taken care of properly.

They did remove the cover, but the guy reached in, adjusted the air flow valve (or something along those lines - that's what they told me at guest services would be done), and replaced the cover. The cover in our cabin was very minimal, so I doubt it was impeding flow, so I doubt leaving it off would have done much.

When checking our stateroom, they checked the first time by putting the thermometer on one of the beds, and the second time by putting it on the desk.

I complained everyday of our 6 day cruise. The technician would check the temperature with the cabin door open. The trick is to setup the thermometer and he would leave the cabin and come back 10 minutes later. The hallway temp. is cooler so it put my cabin within the range. The next time I complained about it he tried the same trick, but I called the hotel manager to meet me, (He agreed to meet me the next time I complained.). Well the manager came to my cabin, just as the technician arrived to see the temp cool off to 75. the manager asked why he did that and that it was against ship policy. As they were talking,the cabin door was closed and you could feel the temperature increase. The manager moved us to another room and we got a 20% credit on our next cruise.

We always bring a digital clock with a thermometer. By comparing mine to the technician, we had the same temp. so it kept everyone honest. When the cabin got to 80+ I took a picture of it to show the hotel manager.

Carnival and the ship staff knows the issue with the Freedom. Hopefully they can figure out a way to fix it during he next dry dock. Overall it is a very nice ship.

I complained everyday of our 6 day cruise. The technician would check the temperature with the cabin door open. The trick is to setup the thermometer and he would leave the cabin and come back 10 minutes later. The hallway temp. is cooler so it put my cabin within the range. The next time I complained about it he tried the same trick, but I called the hotel manager to meet me, (He agreed to meet me the next time I complained.). Well the manager came to my cabin, just as the technician arrived to see the temp cool off to 75. the manager asked why he did that and that it was against ship policy. As they were talking,the cabin door was closed and you could feel the temperature increase. The manager moved us to another room and we got a 20% credit on our next cruise.

good info to know. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Doing a B2B on Victory the end of this month, and am wondering if the cabin temps have improved? I have been in touch via phone calls and emails with Kay Savedge, who is one of Mr. Cahill's assistants and have been assured they are "looking into it".

I too have experienced warm cabins on Carnival. Most recently on the Pride, Breeze and Freedom.

I always have a balcony cabin and turn that thermostat all the way down.

I too make the call to maintenance and they come by and say its fine.

Mid 70's I think is too warm to sleep. At least if you like it warmer you can adjust the thermostat up and it helps.

After reading this post I'm going on to Carnivals website and contacting them via email about this topic.

Maybe just maybe if enough voice their concerns it will change.

I hope to get a response

Just got off the Freedom last Sunday. While the temperature of the room was not as cold as I would have liked it was by no means warm. It was fine. No complaints here. My guess is it was around 72 or 73.

We didn't have any issues when we sailed in August either. In fact DH had our room so cold I was "forced" out to the balcony to warm up and promptly fell asleep listening to the ocean everyday :o.

Archived