VOS Review - Observations re Norwalk Virus & Spa

Sanitize, Sanitize (The Norwalk Virus) Hopefully Gone

My biggest fear going on this cruise was catching the Norwalk Virus As you may be aware they were outbreaks of Norwalk virus on previous VOS cruises. Some were worse than others. I came prepared with bottles and packages of Purell and medicine to stop running either or both ways because I thought that if anyone was going to catch it would be me and my wife. I am happy to report that we didn’t catch the virus and I only saw one or two passengers who appeared to catch something.

The ship was very diligent in trying to prevent the spread of any virus. Before you went into or left the Windjammer and dinning room, people were actively encouraged by a “singing attendant “to sanitize their hands. They were also very diligent in disinfecting the handrails and other parts of the ship where the virus was known to be most likely to be.

The Beauty Salon/Spa

My DW had her hair blown out two times during the cruise at a comparable price to her own salon. I had a combination 25 minute massage a d 25 minute reflexology treatment.

Please don’t make the mistake that I did. After the massage, the massage therapists came in with over 6 products that she said would help reduce my stress. Being that it was 9AM and I didn’t have my wits about me, I bought them all and only when I signed the bill did I realize that I bought $367 of products that I probably would never use. At 12PM, I came to my senses and returned all the products for a complete refund.

If you opt for any service in the spa it's best to tell then as soon as they start the treatment that you are not interested in buying anything extra and would they please concentrate on the treatment and leave out the sales pitch.

Only after the massage did she parade in the 6-8 de-stressing products and I was not awake enough to even ask the price. When I signed the charge I said to myself "What did buy". At 12PM I was awake enough to know I had been scamed.

Both my husband and I always get massages while on a cruise. Although I never buy the products I do not discuss that with them prior to my massage.

When they start their spiel, my husband and I both listen politely and when we are able to get a word in LOL just say we both are very much not interested but thank you.

We’ve never had anyone rude to us for not purchasing and never had anyone keep trying to push anything either.

We’ll see what happens in April on Serenade.

Archived