Rhapsody or Solstice with a child - Alaska 2013 ?

We ( husband , me & 6 year old , my parents ) are booked on the Rhapsody of seas ( Aug 9 ) in a balcony & an ocean view. *We now want to change to 2 balconies Or a balcony & ocean view on the same deck, but all balconies are taken.*

We can get 2 balcony staterooms on the Celebrity Solstice . However the Solstice docks at Victoria at 6 pm*& departs at midnight . With a 6 year old , that would mean no shore excursion for us.*The Rhapsody docks in Victoria at 6am & departs at 9pm

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itinerary.do?packageCode=RH07A093&sailDate=1130809

http://www.celebritycruises.com/search/searchResultsVacationItinerary.do?packageid=SL07A085&dest=ALCAN&shipCode=SL&sailDate=1130809&cabincls=B&promoType=

. I am tempted to cancel the Rhapsody & book on the Solstice bcos we get 2 balconies at the same rate as a balcony + ocean view on Rhapsody. However i have to consider the possibility that we may not get off the ship fact that we won't see anything in Victoria.

I also want to know which of the 2 ships has more activities for kids.

This is our first cruise to Alaska & I am so confused !! Any advice , suggestions will be highly appreciated.

We considered these same two ships for our upcoming cruise and decided on the Rhapsody due to the extended time in Victoria. The Rhapsody will allow us time to do a whale watching tour; the Solstice doesn't give us much time for excursions --- we have been to Victoria on this short route before while aboard another ship and didn't like it --- all we did was walk around the town and were a little disappointed that we didn't have more time to explore.

We have sailed RCI in the past to the Caribbean with our daughter and she LOVED the kids program. When we sailed with Celebrity, we saw kids but they just didn't seem as active as the RCI kids. You might want to check with the Celebrity board for other opinions.

Can't help with the cabin question as we have an inside cabin for this particular cruise. We usually have a balcony cabin when cruising out of Vancouver, Seward or Whittier; Seattle's sailing, we can take it or leave it ----- just our personal preference.

Good luck to you, I know choices aren't easy when it comes to Alaska.

Thank you Karen. Your reply really helps since you have been on both the RCI and Celebrity with a young child and had an opportunity to compare the 2 kids programs AND also because you have been on the shorter visit to Victoria as well. May I know how young was your daughter when you sailed on Royal ?

When is your upcoming cruise ? We are booked on Aug 9 from Seattle.

Why IYO is a balcony preferred on the other itineraries ? Do you think a balcony on the Seattle itinerary isn't worth it ? Since this is my first cruise to Alaska, I just picked the one that seemed most convinient, specially with a 6 yrs old.

Thank you again. I will keep my RCI reservation :)

PS : I tried to see your Alaska pictures but the links didnt work.

;

Karen : Since you have been on multiple Alaska cruises, I think you are the best person to ask my " cliched" yet important question :)

What is the best time to take the cruise to Alaska ? Which months are warmer ?

TIA !

Bill. B : when did you take the cruise on Rhapsody ? I was told by RCI that its been revamped in 2012.

Cruised Alaska on Rhapsody. I was not overly impressed with the ship, but I was there for the scenery. Could not tell you about Solstice I am loyal to Royal.

Having cruised with yourng children on both lines I would suggest RCI as the better kids program. My kids were 6 & 8 when we sailed Celebrity Solstice and they did not like the kid's club at all and spent most of the time with us. When we sail on RCI we can't get them out of Adventure Ocean! Now, we've only had 1 cruise on Celebrity and it was in February which is a low season for kids so keep that in mind as you may have a different experience on an Alaska cruise in the summer. But we've always cruised the Caribbean in late January/early February on any line we've chosen so I think it's a fair comparison. Adventure Ocean is the BEST!

I have not been on an Alaskan cruise but I've lived in the Yukon and have travelled to Alaska (Skagway and Haines) a few times. IMO the best time to go would be (late) June or July if you are looking for the "warmer" weather. June 21st is the summer solstice so you will get more daylight the closer you are to that. In Whitehorse by mid August leaves are already starting to turn:(. August is still beautiful but probably won't be as warm as July.

Hope this helps.

Bill. B : when did you take the cruise on Rhapsody ? I was told by RCI that its been revamped in 2012.

Hey pearl12970 cruised Rhapsody to Alaska in Aug 2010. Not sure about the revamping.

Yes, she had a $54 million refurb last year. Here's a link showing the changes. Apparently she is even more beautiful now (sailed her 3 times years ago and she's still my favorite ship;))

http://www.******************.com/2012/03/29/royal-caribbean-completes-rhapsody-seas-refurbishment

Hi Sherry,

The link is not working. Would love to see the pictures.

Yes, she had a $54 million refurb last year. Here's a link showing the changes. Apparently she is even more beautiful now (sailed her 3 times years ago and she's still my favorite ship;))

http://www.******************.com/2012/03/29/royal-caribbean-completes-rhapsody-seas-refurbishment

Hi Sherry,

The link is not working. Would love to see the pictures.

Sorry. Not sure what happened to the link. It was to an article about the refurb from RCI's blog on their website.:( Here is a portion of the article listing the changes:

The complete list of changes to Rhapsody of the Seas includes

Royal Babies and Tots Nursery

a Diamond Lounge for Crown & Anchor Society loyalty members

a Concierge Lounge for suite guests and top-tier loyalty guests

Completely refreshed staterooms

Wi-Fi availability throughout the ship

Flat-panel televisions in all staterooms

Outdoor LED movie screen on the pool deck

a digital way-finding system

Reinvented Centrum

New restaurants aboard Rhapsody of the Seas include

Giovanni's Table (lunch, $15, and dinner, $20)

Izumi Asian Cuisine restaurant (lunch and dinner, $3.00 cover charge for lunch and $5.00 for dinner plus a la carte menu pricing)

Park Cafe deli-style restaurant (open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, complimentary)

Chop's Grille steakhouse (dinner, $30 per person)

Chef's Table (dinner, $95 per person)

There are videos on youtube. Here's one from RCI. When you open this one there will be more to the side. The Centrum looks beautiful!

Thanks Sherry.

Sorry. Not sure what happened to the link. It was to an article about the refurb from RCI's blog on their website.:( Here is a portion of the article listing the changes:

The complete list of changes to Rhapsody of the Seas includes

Royal Babies and Tots Nursery

a Diamond Lounge for Crown & Anchor Society loyalty members

a Concierge Lounge for suite guests and top-tier loyalty guests

Completely refreshed staterooms

Wi-Fi availability throughout the ship

Flat-panel televisions in all staterooms

Outdoor LED movie screen on the pool deck

a digital way-finding system

Reinvented Centrum

New restaurants aboard Rhapsody of the Seas include

Giovanni's Table (lunch, $15, and dinner, $20)

Izumi Asian Cuisine restaurant (lunch and dinner, $3.00 cover charge for lunch and $5.00 for dinner plus a la carte menu pricing)

Park Cafe deli-style restaurant (open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, complimentary)

Chop's Grille steakhouse (dinner, $30 per person)

Chef's Table (dinner, $95 per person)

There are videos on youtube. Here's one from RCI. When you open this one there will be more to the side. The Centrum looks beautiful!

Thank you Karen. Your reply really helps since you have been on both the RCI and Celebrity with a young child and had an opportunity to compare the 2 kids programs AND also because you have been on the shorter visit to Victoria as well. May I know how young was your daughter when you sailed on Royal ?

When is your upcoming cruise ? We are booked on Aug 9 from Seattle.

Why IYO is a balcony preferred on the other itineraries ? Do you think a balcony on the Seattle itinerary isn't worth it ? Since this is my first cruise to Alaska, I just picked the one that seemed most convinient, specially with a 6 yrs old.

Thank you again. I will keep my RCI reservation :)

PS : I tried to see your Alaska pictures but the links didnt work.;

Sorry I haven't responded sooner, I have been away from my computer. Let me see if I can answer some of your questions.

Balcony preference:[/] There really isn't a right or wrong when it comes to choosing a cabin assignment. Some people prefer paying a little more for a balcony and some people prefer to get an inside cabin and put that extra money towards excursions --- excursions in Alaska can be expensive.

Viewing Alaska can be done outside on deck, from viewing lounges inside the ship or from a balcony. For us, we really enjoy sitting out on the balcony and watching the scenery. We usually try to do a Back-to-Back cruise to Alaska when we can --- gives us two opportunities to view glaciers and ports. Our Seattle to Seattle itinerary doesn't offer us the same major glacier viewing as our other itineraries so that is why we aren't picky about a balcony --- again, just our preference. Also keep in mind that if there is rain, a lot of people never use their balconies. There are no guarantees in Alaska when it comes to weather. Am I making sense? :)

Daughter: In my previous post I mentioned my daughter participating in the RCI children's program --- she did this from ages 7 through 13 and always had a good time. As for Celebrity, my daughter did NOT sail with us then --- here is my previous post: "When we sailed with Celebrity, we saw kids but they just didn't seem as active as the RCI kids. You might want to check with the Celebrity board for other opinions." Perhaps I should have clarified the "we" meaning my husband and myself. :)

Our Sailing: This year we will be sailing on the Rhapsody of the Seas on July 12, 2013 (Seattle-Seattle). Next year we will be sailing on Celebrity's Millennium Back-toBack cruises in June.

Pictures:I just checked the picture links and they are working now, try them again if you want. Once inside the link, the folders should be on the left-hand side --- click the pictures you want to see. --- if there is still a problem let me know.

Karen : Since you have been on multiple Alaska cruises, I think you are the best person to ask my " cliched" yet important question :)

What is the best time to take the cruise to Alaska ? Which months are warmer ?

TIA !

Unfortunately, my answer is limited here as we have only cruised during the last week of May-first few weeks of June and we were blessed with nice weather 90% of the time. We are cruising this year in July and just don't know what we will get because we haven't traveled during that time. We usually cruise the earlier part of the season because of my husband's vacation time. I know cruising later on in the season can be great for bears but weather can sometimes be a problem. Also, the daylight is longer in the beginning of the season as opposed to later in the season.

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest your post your question on the Alaska Port Board of Cruise Critic as you will probably get a much better answer that what I can provide to you. Lots of opinions and experience on the port board --- make sure to visit. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived