3 hours in amsterdam

ised

my flight get in at 7:15 am on day of cruise

would like to have a quick tour of amsterdam

does anyone have any suggestions?

i need a morning tour and then to the port

Possibly take the train into the city (Central Station). See if you can store your bags there and walk across the road and take one of the Canal tours. You will see a lot of the old city and hear the commentary. I think they don't start till 10am though.

It can be done, but be aware to be back in time at the airport. Security takes place at the gates, which always takes up some time.

Hopefully your luggage can be labeled through your final destination. If not, you better stay at the airport.

From the airport you can take a train to Centraal Station and walk around that area - e.g. to Damsquare etc.

thanks for the tips

how long does it take by train to get to the city. is the train station in the airport?

has anybody every used the lockers to put luggage in at the airport in

Amsterdam?

is it worth the time and effort to do this?

thanks for the tips

how long does it take by train to get to the city. is the train station in the airport?

Amsterdam?

Absolutely worth the time! Amsterdam is one of my favorite cities in Europe. At least just to see it is worth the time.

Is your cruise leaving from Amsterdam? Or are you just flying through Amsterdam to another destination? The cruise port isn't far from the train station either. I'd try to store the luggage at the train station, you don't want to go back to the airport. The central train station is right across the street from where the canal boats are. There are two types of canal boats, one is just a tour (you ride around and stay on the boat), the other is a hop on/hop off type tour.

This is a pretty good map of Amsterdam, to get you acquainted with what you will be looking at.

http://www.hot-map.com/en/amsterdam

And here is another link with lots of useful info.

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Amsterdam.htm

What time does your ship sail? You will want to be watching the clock to make sure you board in time.

We did similar in Paris, on our way to Rome for our Med cruise. Have fun planning, then taking your trip!

thanks for the tips

Amsterdam?

The train station is right there below the airport terminal. It's very easy. Here is more info :

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/ToFromSchiphol/PublicTransport/ByTrainDomestic.htm

It takes about 15 minutes to Central Station. If you are sailing from Amsterdam ask the cruise line if you can check your luggage in early or if they have lockers at the cruise terminal. Then you old be free to explore till boarding.

Definitely take the time to see the city. :) Skip museums and do the canal cruise and walk the area around the train station. There's also a great bus system. It is such a beautiful and different city.

The port is a quick cab ride from the train station, and I'd take my bags right to the terminal. Check with your cruise line to make sure that's an option.

The train to Ams from the airport is easy to do. Do research on the web and you'll find all the details in purchasing tickets, pictures of train station etc. Start with info re the airport then link to the train info. I didn't save all the sites we used, but by the time we landed, we knew exactly where and what to do. Directions are very clear.

Definitely take the time to see the city. :) Skip museums and do the canal cruise and walk the area around the train station. There's also a great bus system. It is such a beautiful and different city.

The port is a quick cab ride from the train station, and I'd take my bags right to the terminal. Check with your cruise line to make sure that's an option.

The train to Ams from the airport is easy to do. Do research on the web and you'll find all the details in purchasing tickets, pictures of train station etc. Start with info re the airport then link to the train info. I didn't save all the sites we used, but by the time we landed we knew exactly where and what to do. Directions are very clear.

Price, schedule etc for trains: https://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/home

At Centraal Station you will find various types of lockers too.

http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/about-your-trip/travelling-by-train/facilities-at-the-station

For lockers at the airport: https://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/AtSchiphol/Luggage/LuggageService.htm

• 2 weeks later...

The train is easy to get in the airport and is about a 20 minute ride to Centraal Station. The Cruise terminal is right next to the station; however the station is HUGE. I was just there in April and there is a lot of contruction going on. I would take a cab to the terminal from the front of the station, drop off luggage and then take a cab to Dam Square and just wander around a bit. You could then walk back to the terminal along some canals. Three hours isn't a lot of time, so I wouldn't walk too far. If the canal tours are open you can get one of those right in front of the Centrall station. They are great!

Archived