Half Moon Cay - Clam Shell

Hi was just at HMC on 5/9/2013 and it was $19 for a clamshell.

The majority of the day it was overcast and stayed cool but agreeded it gets hot if it gets hot out.

However they fill up quick so if you really want one make sure you are on one of the first tenders and head straight to the watersports shack to rent it.

We had a clamshell at HMC and it was really nice... definitely worth the money. I don't remember it making things hot at all... I just remember that it provided excellent shade.

I agree that it's a good idea, if you are planning to get a clamshell, to try to be ready to go early in the morning so that you can get on one of the first tenders.

Because we had been among the first to arrive, we ended up not staying the whole afternoon. When we decided to leave, we offered our clamshell to some nice people next to us... and they were very appreciative.

Had one last April. We made little sand mounds to prop the rear of the clamshell up so the breeze would blow thru it and it wasn't hot at all that way. Have a cabana reserved next week so no clamshell this time!! :eek:

Some of the clamshells have a vented mesh panel in the back. We were fortunate to have one of those and had no problem. We also had some shade trees. We paid $16 for 2 people with HAL. Definitely a bargain.

• 3 weeks later...
$12-15. But they get HOT!!!!!!! Not enjoyable. We would not rent them again. They're good for keeping the sun off of you, but that's about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree...We are not sun worshippers and burn easily, so we got a clam shell. While yes it provided plenty of shade, OMG was that thing hot! There is no ventilation or anywhere for air to circulate, so it actually felt hotter under the clamshell that standing in direct sun.

• 4 weeks later...

I know you can't rent them online, but can't you rent them at the Excursion Desk once you're aboard? (So you don't have to be an early riser) Doesn't matter to me, I get a cabana every time, but just saying...

• 4 weeks later...

We rented one when we were at HMC a few weeks ago and you could only rent them directly on the island. Now I didn't try to go to the Shore excursions desk to find out for certain, but it pretty clearly said that on the information we received in our room. When you pay for it they give you a receipt to take down to one of the staff members who you show the receipt to and will then set up your clamshell.

I don't think you can move the clamshells around. Once they are set up they pretty much have to stay in that location. We were lucky that ours already had a rock behind it that was used to prop it up in the back, so we really didn't get too hot. If you find something to use to prop up the back you should be okay.

I agree with everyone else....they are VERY HOT!!!!! There is plenty of shade along the beach if you want shady areas. We had 2 loungers that was close to the beach rental office (where you could rent clamshells, floats).

They aren't worth the money

Archived