In Hull Balconies

kelly3399

On our upcoming transatlantic on QM2, we are travelling with the folks in the cabin beside us (6194 and 6196). Is it possible to open up the balcony between us to make 1 large balcony? It is the in-hull type of balcony. We were hoping for connecting rooms but the best they could do was adjoining, so hope to go back and forth occassionly via the balcony if possible. Thanks, Kelly

On our upcoming transatlantic on QM2, we are travelling with the folks in the cabin beside us (6194 and 6196). Is it possible to open up the balcony between us to make 1 large balcony? It is the in-hull type of balcony. We were hoping for connecting rooms but the best they could do was adjoining, so hope to go back and forth occassionly via the balcony if possible. Thanks, Kelly
Hi Kelly,

Yes, in many cases the steward can open a panel between the balconies (there are some balconies however where this is not possible).

Here is an "in-hull" balcony, you can see the opening panel close to the cabin window:

QM2 BALCONY CABINS decks 4, 5, 6.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and Bon Voyage! :) .

If you look at the deck plans, you'll see that some of the lines between cabins are thicker than others. These show where there are special structures. (reinforcements? blulkheads? I'm not a naval architect, so I don't know what to call it) In the hallway, you will see that the passage is a bit narrower at these points, and I'm pretty sure that the balcony walls at this point don't open. Other than that, I think all the sheltered balconies have a door that can be opened to connect. Sorry, I can't find any photos that show this.

If you look at the deck plans, you'll see that some of the lines between cabins are thicker than others. These show where there are special structures. (reinforcements? blulkheads? I'm not a naval architect, so I don't know what to call it) In the hallway, you will see that the passage is a bit narrower at these points, and I'm pretty sure that the balcony walls at this point don't open. Other than that, I think all the sheltered balconies have a door that can be opened to connect. Sorry, I can't find any photos that show this.
Hi 3rdGenCunarder,

I thought the same, and noted that there might not be an opening panel between 6194 & 6192 for this very reason: a solid bulkhead as you describe (I think they are there to help prevent fire spreading).

Here is one of these solid bulkheads in an "in-hull" balcony without an opening panel:

QM2 BALCONY CABINS decks 4, 5, 6.

All best wishes.

3rdGenCunarder:

I went and checked the deck plans for the Deck 4 in-hull balcony we just had on QM2 and the thicker line between our cabin and the one on the left (when facing the water) the balcony divider would not open, however, the divider on the right did have the ability to be opened and on the plan it has a thin dark line. I checked 6194 and 6196 on the deck plan and there is a thin line between those cabins. So looks promising that the divider will be able to be opened for kelly3399.:)

Kelly, we loved our in-hull balcony and hope you enjoy yours and much.

Best regards,

seasidegal

That is a fire wall and generally that is where you find the fire doors which are normally folded back into the wall but are quite often closed when the crew are doing a drill.

That is a fire wall and generally that is where you find the fire doors which are normally folded back into the wall but are quite often closed when the crew are doing a drill.

Learn something new everyday on CC. :confused: Now I know what the 'thick lines' and 'thin lines' mean on the deck plans and about fire walls.:)

Pepperrn:

That picture made me miss my balcony. :( It was really nice to have

one solid wall on one side. Made it more 'cozy'.

best regards:

seasidegal.

Pepperrn: That picture made me miss my balcony. :( It was really nice to have one solid wall on one side. Made it more 'cozy'. best regards: seasidegal.
I hope the photo also brought back some wonderful memories of your very recent transatlantic voyages :) .

All best wishes,

I hope the photo also brought back some wonderful memories of your very recent transatlantic voyages :) .

All best wishes,

Yes, it did (thank you for asking) and I only have wonderful memories of both crossing...the smile :) never left my face from boarding QE in NY till they made me disembark QM2 in NY.:(

They need to get rid of that disembarking thing..it can ruin a perfectly marvelous trip.:D

best regards,

seasidegal

Archived