looking for private excursion in MAdeira on 10/19/13

My husband and I are travelling on the Royal Princess and are looking for a private excursion in Madeira on 10/19/13. We would be interested in seeing the island, and possibly in Wine Tasting as well.

My husband and I are travelling on the Royal Princess and are looking for a private excursion in Madeira on 10/19/13. We would be interested in seeing the island, and possibly in Wine Tasting as well.

We just returned from the TA on the Mariner. I had a group of eight and reserved Daniel Maderia Tours. http://www.danielmadeirataxis.com/ It was a home run!! I highly recommend them. This is what we did.

• Monte – one of Funchal’s suburbs, it’s a pleasant place, with lots of plants and flowers. The well known Cable Car and Toboggan rides are based there. Our Lady of Monte’s Church is also of interest to visit.
  • Pico dos Barcelos – offers a most amazing view, spread out over all the suburban area.
  • Eira do Serrado – the viewpoint for Curral das Freiras (Nun’s Valley) village and surroundings.
  • Camara de Lobos – a small and quaint fishing town. The Fishermen’s Chapel is well worth a visit.
  • Cabo Girao – the glass bottom belvedere on top of a 580m high sea cliff.

I reconfirm the price of 20 EUR per person. The cable car and toboggan rides are totally optional and paid extra and cost 10 EUR per person and 15 EUR per person sharing, respectivelly.

Have a great time. This was one of my favorite ports!!

Angie

Four of us were there this past November. We did not line any tours up.

We did, however, negotiate a tour with a taxi driver. It was very, very good. No wine stops.

But, we did pick up four bottles of wine from the Douro region at a grocery store....and took them back on board with no issues. They were excellent and relatively inexpensive.

We just returned from Madeira with RCI. When we arrived there we got speaking with a Taxi driver who does private tours and asked how much we wanted to see and how long we wanted to tour around for. He was quite happy to customise a tour to suit us. Anyway, we went round all the above mentioned places plus a few more.

Although he was born in Madeira, he spent his early years in Rhodesia (yes, he insisted it be called Rhodesia) and so spoke perfect English, albeit with a Rhodesian twang. We spent two and a half hours being taken around seeing the sights etc and paid him 70 Euros which was worth every cent.

His name is Jose Manuel and his telephone number is +351 967719448

We just returned from the TA on the Mariner. I had a group of eight and reserved Daniel Maderia Tours. http://www.danielmadeirataxis.com/ It was a home run!! I highly recommend them. This is what we did.

• Monte – one of Funchal’s suburbs, it’s a pleasant place, with lots of plants and flowers. The well known Cable Car and Toboggan rides are based there. Our Lady of Monte’s Church is also of interest to visit.
  • Pico dos Barcelos – offers a most amazing view, spread out over all the suburban area.
  • Eira do Serrado – the viewpoint for Curral das Freiras (Nun’s Valley) village and surroundings.
  • Camara de Lobos – a small and quaint fishing town. The Fishermen’s Chapel is well worth a visit.

I reconfirm the price of 20 EUR per person. The cable car and toboggan rides are totally optional and paid extra and cost 10 EUR per person and 15 EUR per person sharing, respectivelly.

Angie

Hi Angie - Can you tell me how long this tour took? I will also be in Funchal in October on the Norwegian Spirit - there will be 6 of us. My parents are active 80+, would you recommend this itinerary for them?

Thanks, Nancy

• 2 weeks later...

Angie

Thank you! Sounds great!

When we were in Madeira last year I pre booked atrip with Madeira Happy Tours. They told us they would pick us up from where the ship docked. I expected a coach or mini bus. In fact, they sent a Mercedes and driver who spoke excellent English

It was supposed to be a half day trip, but was a long half day and if I remember correctly we only paid something like 12 Euros each.

Angie

Another vote for Daniel. We used him on a transatlantic in April 2010. Highly recommend him. :)

Angie

Angie - can you tell me if Daniel was your driver?

• 2 weeks later...
Four of us were there this past November. We did not line any tours up.

We did, however, negotiate a tour with a taxi driver. It was very, very good. No wine stops.

But, we did pick up four bottles of wine from the Douro region at a grocery store....and took them back on board with no issues. They were excellent and relatively inexpensive.

We did the same last November - we did stop at a wine place and got Madiera wine - did not miss much - we had bad weather

view my share site of that trip

http://2012nieuwamsterdam.shutterfly.com/

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

We booked the half day tour and requested Daniel in advance - we were glad we did. He was fantastic. We handled all the reservations on line. He met us right off the ship's pier at the designated time. There were 6 of us in his very comfortable and new taxi. My parents are in their 80's and Daniel made every effort to accommodate their needs and drove as close as possible to all the sites. He recommended that we visit the basket ride first to avoid the lines and he was right - no wait at all. We did not go with a plan or list of sites just asked him to show us what he thought we would enjoy the most. He obviously loves the City he lives in and we had a fabulous time. He charged 140 EU for 6 - we paid him 150 EU since we had such a great time.

• 1 month later...
When we were in Madeira last year I pre booked atrip with Madeira Happy Tours. They told us they would pick us up from where the ship docked. I expected a coach or mini bus. In fact, they sent a Mercedes and driver who spoke excellent English

It was supposed to be a half day trip, but was a long half day and if I remember correctly we only paid something like 12 Euros each.

Thanks for your recommendation. I have booked a tour with them for our upcoming cruise in March. They will pick us up at the port for a full day tour.

• 10 months later...

Angie

Another vote for Daniel Madeira Taxis. On a recent transatlantic cruise, I booked a four hour tour with Daniel Madeira Taxis for our port stop in Madeira. I posted this tour on Cruise Critic in order to get 6 people for the van. What I ended up getting was 61 people, and I actually had to turn away requests! Working with Daniel and Eusebia, his wife, was a wonderful experience. Their correspondence was always prompt, and they coordinated the additional 9 taxis in order to accommodate this large group. While each van toured independently of the group, I got wonderful positive feedback from other participants on how much they enjoyed the tour and their driver. We traveled with 6 in a van and the cost was €23 per person. The itinerary was the same as above with the cable car and sleds being optional. Since no one in our van wanted to do either, Daniel substituted another amazing stop. He is a wonderful and very kind man who you can tell loves his country and is proud of it. Madeira is a country of beautiful mountains, deep valleys and incredible scenery. Hiking is a national pastime in this country, so if you are looking at something different to do, talk to Daniel about this option.