Finnsnes activities

EmmaN

We will be stopping in Finnsnes with Hurtigruten in Jan next year and their scheduled activity is the choice between Dog Sledding and Snowmobiling both of which we are doing independently later in our holiday in Tromso.

So we are looking for any suggestions/recommendations for what to do with our time there.

We will be stopping in Finnsnes with Hurtigruten in Jan next year

So we are looking for any suggestions/recommendations for what to do with our time there.

:)

The northbound stop in Finnsnes is short- there is really not much time to do anything unless you're on an excursion. The southbound stop is in the middle of the night.

Thanks on their website it lists it as a stop with that excursion, it looks like it is slightly misleading though.

I haven't checked on this particular stop but, for some of their excursions, Hurtigruten take you off at one port and you re-board at the next.

It seems they may be doing that with this one although with another trip that they do do that it is very clear that is what happens. In another part of the website it lists that excursion under the Tromso port. I have now managed to find the length of time in each port and it is only 15 mins at Finnsnes so it is unlikely that it is even from there unless they are very, very good at getting everyone off very fast!

We are doing dog sledding and snow mobiles later on in our holiday so I am not worried about doing it just looking to see what other options we have but in 15mins that will be a few photos from the ship! ;)

We did the dog sledding in Tromso a few years ago and it was excellent: 12 dogs pulling us, in the dark, with distant views of Tromso and the driver lighting the way with only a head torch!

We did the dog sledding in Tromso a few years ago and it was excellent: 12 dogs pulling us, in the dark, with distant views of Tromso and the driver lighting the way with only a head torch!

Honestly I am so excited! We take our dogs out on our bikes and having 2 of them pull you along at speed is quite something but having 12 on a sledge in the snow and the dark must be amazing!!!! :D

• 3 months later...

Finnsnes is literally off quick walk take a photo and get back on. Although one one trip we stopped and were running about half hour late so it was tie up, gangway put up, anyone off four, anyone on one, gangway down, cast off and away. Total time in port 5 minutes. Only use the 2 old ships so probally takes longer on the modern ones if running late.

• 2 weeks later...
It seems they may be doing that with this one although with another trip that they do do that it is very clear that is what happens. In another part of the website it lists that excursion under the Tromso port. I have now managed to find the length of time in each port and it is only 15 mins at Finnsnes so it is unlikely that it is even from there unless they are very, very good at getting everyone off very fast!

We are doing dog sledding and snow mobiles later on in our holiday so I am not worried about doing it just looking to see what other options we have but in 15mins that will be a few photos from the ship! ;)

Emma,

Can you tell me about the dog sledding and snow mobile tours you're taking? Did you book them through Hurtigruten or privately? I'm going on the ferry in May. Thanks for your help!

Emma,

Can you tell me about the dog sledding and snow mobile tours you're taking? Did you book them through Hurtigruten or privately? I'm going on the ferry in May. Thanks for your help!

Hi Helen we are doing those things in Tromso we are docking in Kirkenes then flying back to Tromso for a few days.

All booked privately after loads of research we wanted to go with smaller independent firms.

Dog sledding with Arctic Adventure http://www.arcticadventuretours.no/activities_eng.html

Snowmobiling with Tour in Lyngen http://www.tourinlyngenalps.no/winter-book-online/snowmobile-adventure-in-the-lyngen-alps

Both in the mornings as we are Northern Light hunting in the evenings

Hope that helps :)

Archived