St. George's, Grenada

rosinryanz

I read somewhere that the capital of Grenada, St. George's, was one of the most beautiful cities in the Caribbean. I also read once that the entire island has the scent of nutmeg. Are these claims true?

St George WAS a very pretty port but it was badly damaged by the last hurricane - so I don't know how it looks now. And yes the island smells wonderful - since the spice crops were also badly damaged I don't know if the scent will be as intense as when I was there (it also depends on wind direction). However don't be discouraged by my comments, I have heard that the island is recovering and beaches (Grand Anse) are lovely and the people are friendly.

Yes there was a lot of damage but not as bad as it is made to sound in what many people have posted on various websites etc.,the city of St. George is still very pretty and well worth visiting much hard work having been carried out to repair the damage.

Similarly the nutmeg trees suffered badly but in my opinion the talk of the scent of nutmeg has been exaggerated anyway,

most of the nutmeg trees were grown away from St. George and when you read of being able to smell spices as you disembark the aircraft at the airport it is poetic licence as the only thing I can smell at that point is aviation fuel.

The best thing to do is visit the island yourself and enjoy its beauty

St. George's was beautiful when I was there in April 2003; hopefully it has recovered somewhat from Hurricane Ivan by now. As for the scent of nutmeg, I didn't notice it anywhere on the island and I was there for a week! Then again, maybe my nose isn't so good...

Archived