Singles can book getaway fares from September 1st

billyvegas

On cunard facebook page now an answer to a question on solo passengers

CUNARD Hi Howard, thank you for your post. Following customer feedback, we have reviewed our policy and singles will be able to book Getaway Fares for cruises departing after 1 September. Best wishes.

On cunard facebook page now an answer to a question on solo passengers

CUNARD Hi Howard, thank you for your post. Following customer feedback, we have reviewed our policy and singles will be able to book Getaway Fares for cruises departing after 1 September. Best wishes.

Perhaps all of those that wrote a letter managed to get Cunard and P&O see sense

I'm sure our letters made a lot of difference. I suspect, also, that sales must have been down without singles booking cabins, so it would be an economic decision.

Once it is official and in the booking system, it would be a good idea for us to write to Cunard to thank them and tell them what a difference this has made to us, i.e. that we will book with Cunard again in the future.

It was a stupid idea to stop singles booking getaway fares. Thank goodness Cunard were big enough to admit they got it wrong. But why wait until September?

Their reasoning is that they release their Getaway fares in a tranche - a whole lot of cruises all at once. The next lot of Getaway fares to be released will be for September dates.

I'm not a computer expert but I would have thought it would be relatively simple to go in and change the coding on the current fares so that singles are able to book them. I feel they are making a point that they are in charge.

A friend in America has just forwarded me an email that she received from Cunard USA with a special offer. This is for a cruise in November. Interestingly, it states: These fares do not apply to singles or third/fourth-berth passengers.

I don't know if Cunard is just starting these restrictions in the USA (despite them not working here), or if it is just a case of someone forgetting to remove that sentence after the policy changed, or if they are keeping the restriction in other countries until they allow singles to book special fares in the UK.

A friend in America has just forwarded me an email that she received from Cunard USA with a special offer. This is for a cruise in November. Interestingly, it states: These fares do not apply to singles or third/fourth-berth passengers.

I don't know if Cunard is just starting these restrictions in the USA (despite them not working here), or if it is just a case of someone forgetting to remove that sentence after the policy changed, or if they are keeping the restriction in other countries until they allow singles to book special fares in the UK.

I think it could well be that they just forgot to remove the sentence, so in my opinion the easiest would be if a travel agency and/or you yourself asked them the question. In the absence of a reply from someone here this seems to be a solution.

:)

All of the e-mails I get from Cunard have the "does not apply to singles..." clause in the restrictions. It does not mean that I can not get a reduced rate booking as a single but that I won't get the advertised price. For example, on my most recent offer (on Q327N) the advertised price for an IC was $999. Booking as a single was $1574.25. The regular price (without special and without WC number) was $1599 (double) and $2797.25 single. So I could still book it as a single with a significant savings, I just could not get it for $999.

From what I understand, in the UK you could not get any savings booking as a solo with the getaway fares.

That's correct Scrapnana. A single would have had to pay the $2797 fare while a couple would have paid $1998 between them. At times the price differential was so great that a single person would have paid four times the per person special rate (double the room rate).

I'm glad that sentence does not mean the same in the USA as it meant in the UK.

Just add yourself twice on the booking, and remember to deduct one of the on board gratuity charges from the pursers desk :D

Haven't yet found out if you get double CWC days/Voyages/Internet time. It may work out to be advantageous. We should do! Some Forum members here are taking advantage but are not spilling the beans. This were the forum should come into its own, but unfortunately too many people here just want to brag about their holidays and not assist anyone else.

On Cunard UK Website today, when booking Getaway fares the following t&c appears

GETAWAY TERMS AND CONDITIONS

Different terms and conditions apply to these bookings.

For guests on this Getaway promotion, the full fare will be due at the time of booking.

Fares are non-refundable and cancellation charges are 100% from time of booking.

No amendments are permitted once booked. Any amendment to a Getaway booking will be treated as a cancellation.

Bookings will be made at the minimum grade within each stateroom category without a stateroom number. Stateroom numbers will be allocated no later than 14 days prior to departure.

Please note that on all cruises departing from 1 September 2013 our Getaway Fares are available to single travellers, two passengers sharing a cabin and third & fourth passengers in the same cabin. Getaway fares for cruises departing before this date are only available on bookings based on two passengers sharing a cabin. Therefore, if you are planning to book a cabin for sole occupancy or wish to book a cabin to accommodate three or four on a cruise that departs before 1 September 2013, please select our Vantage Fare option.

These terms and conditions vary, where relevant, the applicable Cunard Line Booking Conditions apply. The applicable Cunard Booking Conditions are otherwise unchanged.

Archived