ShotoJuku’s LEGENDary Mediterranean Adventure

Love your review so far! My hubby and I will be doing the same itinerary on the Sunshine in July. We will also be staying at Hotel Olimpia pre-cruise. Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay there!

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip!

You guys will have a great time at both the Olimpia and on Sunshine too; I wish we were sailing again too!!

ShotoJuku’s LEGENDary Mediterranean Adventure

May 4th – 16th 2013

This is my review of my recent 12-day cruise on the Carnival Legend that took us from Venice, Italy to Barcelona, Spain with my Wife to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary. Our adventure actually begins nearly 1 ½ years ago when I began to explore the any and all cruise options in the Mediterranean with Carnival. Sadly, no cruises had been posted for the time of year that I wanted – that being May, 2013 as our 30th Anniversary would be May 1st. I waited ever so patiently, watched the cruise critic boards carefully for any possible news, hints, or rumors until finally my patience paid off on February 14th 2012 when Carnival posted the dates.

There I sat ever so discretely and quietly in the early morning hours in the living room (in my underwear like John Heald) so as not to wake my Bride and see what was available. What I found was the perfect dates with the perfect itinerary aboard the Carnival Legend who was to set sail on May 4th 2013 from Venice on a 12-day cruise including 10 ports of call including: Venice, Dubrovnik, Athens, Izmir, Messina, Naples, Rome, Pisa/Florence, Marseilles, and Barcelona. What made this cruise so incredibly fortuitous was this would be the only cruise that Legend would be stopping at Athens and Izmir during the 2013 season.

It was somewhat ironic that I was actually booking the cruise on Valentine’s Day, 2012 (the day we were engaged in 1982, 30-years earlier) and would not reveal this until exactly 1-year later when I would give this to my Bride on Valentine’s Day 2013; what a year of suspense! My Bride, who is principally of Italian/Irish decent had always dreamed of visiting Italy one day but in the back of her mind thought that her dream may never ever be realized. Little did I realize that the year of suspense and anticipation would be worth the wait! In the mean time I started our cruise critic roll call the next day making sure that any computers in the house would never be logged onto the sight for the next year. Our roll call group was named as the M&M’s for either Married in May or Mediterranean in May and what a group it became!

232323232%7Ffp54363%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D3652%3A6%3B6%3A9348nu0mrj

Tick-Tock...one year later...the day had finally arrived - Valentine’s Day 2013 and it was time to launch my plan: Operation Pizza Box! After celebrating 31 consecutive Valentine’s Day’s together I figured that my Bride had probably had her fill of receiving the obligatory box of candy and such so I opted for something better…..pizza! Well not really pizza but a pizza box that I picked up a couple of weeks earlier in preparation of surprising my Bride. Our trip would entail 16-days in total starting on our actual anniversary (May 1st) and ending on our return on the 16th. So I took a large sheet of paper that would fill the inside of the box, drew a circle with 16-slices that denoted each and every day of our journey. On the outside of the box I taped a paper plate onto the cover with a picture of a heart-shaped pizza with a question: I know a place where we can get some really good pizza; interested?

232323232%7Ffp73488%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D36586539%3B%3B348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp54436%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D36586539%3C2348nu0mrj

Now when I initially presented the box to my Bride she gazed at it with a bit of bemused puzzlement probably wondering just what the hell did I do now, and where is my candy? Once she opened the box her bewildered look was instantaneously replaced with the absolute best looks of astonished surprise I had ever seen rush across her beautiful face coupled with one of the loudest screams of joy followed by streams of tears that I had ever heard. For an instant I thought that I screwed up big time as her screams and tears could have been easily confused with grief however after a few moments of her now gasping her breath I detected a sign of sheer and utter happiness that was translated into a scream of “I’m going to Italy”!!!!!

That of course was the best gift that I could ever receive as I had given my Bride the realization of her dream to see Italy and so much more. Besides I was going too so it was a win-win for both of us!

More To Come….

Priceless...I wish I could have been a "fly on the wall" at the moment she opened the box. Great job and I know you both had a wonderful time. I can't wait to read your post.

Loving the review. We did the same itinerary on the Breeze last year and also stayed at the Olimpia pre cruise.

We will be on the Legend for the first time next month doing the Baltics.

It will also be the first time we have been able to drive to the port, we being from the UK.

Priceless...I wish I could have been a "fly on the wall" at the moment she opened the box. Great job and I know you both had a wonderful time. I can't wait to read your post.

I'm not sure if that would have been a good idea as the decibel level of her cries would have been like a sonic boom on steroids to a fly on the wall rendering it into unconsciousness...or worse! :eek:

Thanks for the compliments!:D

My husband and I, married in April, sailed with you and your wife on the dream cruise. I ran into the two of you on the Acropolis and I was the one who asked you if your eyes were that blue or did you wear blue contacts.

He took a photo of the three of us on the Acropolis and I would be happy to email it to you. I do not know how to post photos here

Thanks - if you're still not sure on how to attach a pic leave me your email and I'll send you one too.

Loving the review. We did the same itinerary on the Breeze last year and also stayed at the Olimpia pre cruise.

We will be on the Legend for the first time next month doing the Baltics.

It will also be the first time we have been able to drive to the port, we being from the UK.

Thanks!

Enjoy the Legend and don't get lost on your drive to the port! :D

Hope you are safe from Andrea? Saw on the news Tampa had a bit of damage. We are getting rain and wind. Nothing Major so far.

Stay Safe. Derrell You too!!

Hi Angie -

TS Andrea was for the most part a big rainmaker however there was some spotty wind damage and a small tornado touched down around 15 miles south of me in Gulfport. Keep your umbrellas handy up your way as TS Andrea is on her way!

As many of you are aware when posting you cannot add more than 6 pictures (per post) at a time so from time-to-time I may post some supplemental pictures as stand alones too.

Some Additional Dubrovnik Pictures....

232323232%7Ffp54394%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D3658%3B6%3B445348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp543%3A%3B%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D3658%3B56%3A%3B6348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp54377%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D3658%3B63%3B3%3A348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp543%3C4%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D3658%3B6%3C438348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp734%3A5%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D3658%3B6%3B43%3B348nu0mrj

One of the local residents!

232323232%7Ffp543%3B%3A%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D3658%3B6%3C439348nu0mrj

I should mention that I am a "Catman" and will post some additional Cat-Pics throughout our adventure.

Ciao For Now, or is that Meow For Now!!!

Thank you for sharing your cruise with us. The pictures are beautiful and many congrats on your anniversary.

P.S. I'm a cat person as well.

Meow, meow, meow = Can't wait to read the rest of the review.

I’m back – a little soggy perhaps but TS Andrea blew through the Tampa Bay area yesterday dropping record levels of rain and causing a bit of wind damage and spawning one tornado in Gulfport (Pinellas County, Fl) and no reported injuries. So with that let me….

…Welcome you (back) to The Port of Livorno: The Gateway to Pisa and Florence, Italy and the MOST INCREDIBLE LASAGNA that we have Ever-Ever-Ever Had!!!

Yesterday before TS Andrea so rudely interrupted me I had covered most of our visit to Pisa with the exception of mentioning that we found a Walmart and a second leaning tower. Actually the Walmart store is located within a US Army Base – Camp Darby and not accessible however there really is a second (much smaller) leaning tower in Pisa.

232323232%7Ffp734%3A3%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D3663868945348nu0mrj

This “leaning tower” is part of an older fortress that like it’s big brother was built upon some unstable ground and developed its own but less famous “leaning tower” distinction.

We then headed off towards Florence which was some 70 miles to the east and would take around 1.25 hours to get there. Along the way we traversed through many scenic areas consisting of rich farmlands and of course many vineyards that provide the grapes that are grown under the Tuscan Sun and end up becoming incredible varieties of vino (wine) that we were fortunate to sample throughout our cruise.

232323232%7Ffp5438%3A%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D3663868946348nu0mrj

Just before arriving in Florence we took a quick photo pit-stop taking pictures of the 100 acre vineyard that I purchased……NOT……but it sure would be nice!

232323232%7Ffp54354%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D3663865789348nu0mrj

We drove for a bit more passing by yet another city wall that had at one time surrounded the entire area of Frienze (Florence) before arriving at the of the boarder entrance to greater Florence that runs along the Arno River.

From this Cliffside precipice one can look down into the entire city that kind of reminded me of our earlier visit (nearly 2-weeks earlier) to Dubrovnik, Croatia and their orange rooftops.

232323232%7Ffp543%3A2%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D3663855572348nu0mrj

What an incredible and breathtaking site....the view of the city isn't bad either!

We then entered the city and navigated around the atypical narrow streets that many of the older Italian Towns are famous for. We stopped at the nearby Florence Cathedral and Basilica where we were able to get out and visit for around an hour.

232323232%7Ffp543%3C3%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D3663855573348nu0mrj

It was now around lunch time so our RIL driver Vinny suggested going to a restaurant that he said would not disappoint and it didn’t for it was here that we, and many of our fellow M&M’s had…..wait for it….the MOST INCREDIBLE LASAGNA that we have Ever-Ever-Ever Had!!! We ate at the Casa Toscana (1872) and although we had as of yet eaten lasagna as it was never seen on any menu along our journey I had already decided that if it appeared here that I would certainly give it a try.

232323232%7Ffp54366%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D36638546%3A%3A348nu0mrj

As is the custom tables are always supplied with sliced fresh baked bread along with generous amounts of olive oil for dipping to get things started. We ordered another ½ liter of vino rosso and enjoyed our group conversation with our fellow M&M’s and then then the entrée arrived – “the” lasagna. For those of us, and there were many, who ordered the lasagna, no one was able to speak for the first few bites as I believe we perhaps in a subtle state of shock as what we were eating certainly looked like lasagna but didn’t taste like any we had ever-ever-ever* had!

* If you saw the piano player act then you know what I am referring to.

The taste was certainly different but what was it, the sauce (not gravy), cheese, or the pasta itself? I know because I asked however if you believe you may know please feel free to provide an answer. Of course whoever supplies the first correct (not best) answer will receive a special prize!

In the interest of continuing on through Florence and adding additional pictures I will have to pick this up in yet another section but before I go let me say….

Ciao For Now!!

It was the Ephesus Shuttle.

Thanks and read on!!

I am so glad that you and your wife (and the rest of the group) are fine from the kidnapping. I would not be happy, in fact, I would be PISSED, and would have walked out. I don't like being a "captive audience" for something I did not ask to be a part of. Other than that, seems like you had a wonderful trip.

Thanks for sharing.

As Promised Here Is Some More Florence!

After eating (consuming) our incredible lunch we were off again to visit the Firenze Accademia Gallery where the original masterpiece Michelangelo’s “The David” resides within. A beautiful museum unto itself, however the centerpiece of the Accademia (their spelling) is of course the DAVID that unfortunately cannot be photographed. The statue itself stands more than 17 feet and is displayed on a 6 foot base raising David to an overall and colossal height of nearly 25 feet – simply awesome!

232323232%7Ffp543%3A6%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D366388448%3B348nu0mrj

Although The David cannot be photographed inside the Accademia a copy is on display outside at the nearby Palazzo Vecchio. For anyone who is a fan, or at least aware of the character Hannibal (The Cannibal) Lecter from the original Silence of the Lambs and related sequel “Hannibal” you may recall some of the scenes that were filmed in Florence (Firenze) including the balcony drop of Chief Inspector Pazzi (bowels out) and may recall seeing the Palazzo Vecchio which is just one of the areas where the “Hannibal” was filmed.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv9438%3Dot%3E3583%3D%3A%3B5%3D725%3DXROQDF%3E27547935%3A%3A257ot1lsi

Aside from the sheer stature of the statue it was the intricate details that caught my eye such as veins, tendons, and even toenails that were so accurately depicted that began as a gargantuan and singular piece of marble that Michelangelo literally carved into this virtual living man – truly magnificent!

232323232%7Ffp54368%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D36638847%3B%3B348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp54368%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D36638847%3C2348nu0mrj

--------------------------------------------------------------------

232323232%7Ffp54384%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D36638847%3C3348nu0mrj

Someone else lost their head over the taste of the incredible lasagna! Actually that is Perseus holding the head of the Medusa.

232323232%7Ffp5434%3B%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D3663874%3B7%3B348nu0mrj

We then were able to do a little shopping at an outside marketplace bazaar before heading back to the ship. Of course no day would be complete without stopping for some gelato first!

During our ride back to the Carnival Legend I had an opportunity to speak with our RIL-Guide Vinny a bit more and found that he and I had a common interest and that was the study of Japanese Shotokan Karatedo. So here we are driving through past some of the most incredible views of Tuscany speaking to one another in Japanese (Dojo-ese) discussing our own visits to Japan rather than my visit to Italy. Go figure.

Anyway we made it back safe-and-sound looking forward to dinner and a show before settling n for our next Port of Call – Marseilles, France but more on that tomorrow.

Until then, and as always,

Ciao For Now!

I'm not sure if that would have been a good idea as the decibel level of her cries would have been like a sonic boom on steroids to a fly on the wall rendering it into unconsciousness...or worse! :eek:

Thanks for the compliments!:D

Now that's funny!!!!

Thank you for sharing your cruise with us. The pictures are beautiful and many congrats on your anniversary.

P.S. I'm a cat person as well.

Meow, meow, meow = Can't wait to read the rest of the review.

Thanks - Here Is A Special Bonus Cat...

232323232%7Ffp7347%3B%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D3663884459348nu0mrj

...Sort Of!!

As Promised Here Is Some More Florence!

After eating (consuming) our incredible lunch we were off again to visit the Firenze Accademia Gallery where the original masterpiece Michelangelo’s “The David” resides within. A beautiful museum unto itself, however the centerpiece of the Accademia (their spelling) is of course the DAVID that unfortunately cannot be photographed. The statue itself stands more than 17 feet and is displayed on a 6 foot base raising David to an overall and colossal height of nearly 25 feet – simply awesome!

During our ride back to the Carnival Legend I had an opportunity to speak with our RIL-Guide Vinny a bit more and found that he and I had a common interest and that was the study of Japanese Shotokan Karatedo. So here we are driving through past some of the most incredible views of Tuscany speaking to one another in Japanese (Dojo-ese) discussing our own visits to Japan rather than my visit to Italy. Go figure.

Anyway we made it back safe-and-sound looking forward to dinner and a show before settling n for our next Port of Call – Marseilles, France but more on that tomorrow.

Until then, and as always,

Ciao For Now!

I have really enjoyed your review...some ports I haven't been to yet, like Dubrovnik (really loved your pictures from the wall....I have to do that when I go in October) and some I have been to and loved the memories you brought to mind. I got to see the David in the Accademia back in 2002 when you could take photo's and got some great shots...unfortunately I was still using film then so none are on my computer....but the best "pictures" are in my mind's eye:)

So happy to read where your CC name came from....I have been wondering. How interesting!

The taste was certainly different but what was it, the sauce (not gravy), cheese, or the pasta itself? I know because I asked however if you believe you may know please feel free to provide an answer. Of course whoever supplies the first correct (not best) answer will receive a special prize!

I think sometimes traditional lasagne is made with bechamel sauce - wondering if that is what made it so special??? :)

....and that 'ever-ever-ever' piano guy (Brett Cave) was hysterical! :D:D:D

Edited by Froufie

You sir are a romance genius. :D congratulations on 30 years of what looks like a WONDERFUL marriage, hope you have 30 more.

Your pictures are incredible as well as your review itself. Glad you had such a great time.

Romantic - Yes.

Genius - At Times.

Lucky SOB - 30 Years And Still Going Strong!

Thanks!!

I am so glad that you and your wife (and the rest of the group) are fine from the kidnapping. I would not be happy, in fact, I would be PISSED, and would have walked out. I don't like being a "captive audience" for something I did not ask to be a part of. Other than that, seems like you had a wonderful trip.

Thanks for sharing.

None of us were happy about it but despite the kidnapping incident we all had a pretty good day!

So happy to read where your CC name came from....I have been wondering. How interesting!

Let me elaborate further...

To begin, I have been studying/teaching Japanese ShotoKan Karatedo since 1971. The founder of Shotokan - Gichin Funakoshi used the pen name of "Shoto" meaning "Pine Waves" and his style was subsequently called Shoto-Kan.

I use a derivative of ShotoKan retaining Shoto but added Juku meaning "special or private school" thus - ShotoJuku.

I think sometimes traditional lasagne is made with bechamel sauce - wondering if that is what made it so special??? :)

....and that 'ever-ever-ever' piano guy (Brett Cave) was hysterical! :D:D:D

Indeed it is BECHAMEL that made the M&M's go M&M&M&M&M&M&M&M!!!!

depositphotos_3572245-Gold-best-cook-chef-trophy.jpg

And For That You Have Won A 24K Gold Plastic Chef Statue - Congrats!

Two Quick Bonus Pics!!

This gold sphere is in the Vatican Museum Garden.

232323232%7Ffp5436%3B%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D3662%3A%3B9873348nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp54399%3Enu%3D4492%3E9%3C4%3E634%3EWSNRCG%3D3662%3A%3B5985348nu0mrj

I dont' care what the sign says, that's the Death Star!! :D

The first thought that came into my mind when I saw this photo was, "That looks like the Death Star". And then I paged down to the bottom of the picture and saw your caption!

I want to thank you so much for doing this trip report. It is fantastic! My husband and I were on the Inaugural sailing of the Carnival Breeze doing almost the same itinerary. You review has brought back so many great memories.

You and your wife seem to have such a great relationship. Congratulations on 30 years of marriage. I'm so glad you got to celebrate it by taking this wonderful cruise.