Kona walking

C cruzer

I know I have read reviews, but I'm have a hard time finding them. I know Kona is a tender port, but If I'm not mistaken it is also one of the only ports where you can just get off the ship and walk around. Also are there beaches in walking distance (or short cab ride) with good snorkeling? Trying to keep it low key to rest. So much to do in all the ports. Thanks for any info!

I know I have read reviews, but I'm have a hard time finding them. I know Kona is a tender port, but If I'm not mistaken it is also one of the only ports where you can just get off the ship and walk around. Also are there beaches in walking distance (or short cab ride) with good snorkeling? Trying to keep it low key to rest. So much to do in all the ports. Thanks for any info!

There is a small beach adjacent to the tender pier. My DW rented a beach chair and spent a couple of hours there while I walked around the downtown area. We saw people snorkeling at the beach, but don't know how good the snorkeling is. The downtown area is nice with lots of shops, restaurants and bars, and you can get some good pictures of the ship anchored offshore.

Kona is a wonderful port for walking around and seeing the sights. There are a couple of small white sand beaches right by the tender pier. The one behind the King Kam Hotel is the best. I wouldn't say any of these places are good for snorkeling.

There is a beach park called Kahalu'u that is several miles outside of town that has very good snorkeling especially for children and beginners. I believe there is a shuttle service that runs on a regular basis from the cruise pier down to this beach. I have seen the van, but have not taken it. Turtle sightings are almost guaranteed. This beach park has restrooms, picnic tables, lifeguards and there is usually a food truck nearby. Kahalu'u can get crowded, but it is worth the trip.

We took the free shuttle to walmart ;) and found great prices on Hawaiian clothing for the whole family, awesome prices on KONA coffee, mac nuts plus we got a real nice picture of our ship from the parking lot. We saved alot of$$ on this little side trip.

Bev

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

• 5 months later...
We took the free shuttle to walmart ;) and found great prices on Hawaiian clothing for the whole family, awesome prices on KONA coffee, mac nuts plus we got a real nice picture of our ship from the parking lot. We saved alot of$$ on this little side trip.

Bev

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

Can you recall how long the shuttle trip to Walmart took? I'm thinking Kona is our last chance to pick up a supply of my diet Pepsi for the return voyage!

The Walmart shuttle is not the same one that goes to the beaches.

If all you want at Walmart is Diet Pepsi, check the ABC store right at the pier first: you will pay a little more, but save a lot of time.

The Kona-Keauhou trolley (aka the Honu Express) goes about 5 miles south from the pier and makes several interesting stops, including Kahalu'u Beach Park. The fee, last we heard, was $2/pp/per ride, driver does not make change. Make sure to allow plenty of time to return to the ship - it's a small trolley and does fill up on cruise ship days.

The Walmart shuttle is not the same one that goes to the beaches.

If all you want at Walmart is Diet Pepsi, check the ABC store right at the pier first: you will pay a little more, but save a lot of time.

The Kona-Keauhou trolley (aka the Honu Express) goes about 5 miles south from the pier and makes several interesting stops, including Kahalu'u Beach Park. The fee, last we heard, was $2/pp/per ride, driver does not make change. Make sure to allow plenty of time to return to the ship - it's a small trolley and does fill up on cruise ship days.

Thank you for your reply....I didn't know there was an ABC store at the pier. That will be perfect for a quick stop after our tour, before getting on the tender back to the ship.

The ABC store is right on the corner inside the Marriott Hotel at the pier. There's also another one a block or so down Ali'i Drive, just past the palace, at the beginning of the Kona Inn complex.

Thank you for the information! My husband feels better if at least one of us knows what we're doing! This is perfect.

If you're looking for something to do in Kona that is not a beach or shopping and is close to the port, I recommend the Hulihee Palace on Ali'i Drive (right across from the old church). The site is run by the Daughters of Hawaii charitable organization. The artifacts are interesting and the staff was happy to answer any and all questions. You do have to remove your shoes before touring the palace, though.

Archived