dunns waterfalls and mystic mountain in jamaica

La Princesa

Hello, going on the freedom of the seas (falmouth) and wanted to do the falls and mystic mountain.. any input as to ....would I have enough time since its about an hour away I think?? whats the distance from the falls to mystic mountain? tours or on my own for prices? or should I just do one of the two??? and when u visit the falls is the ocean near??? and can I pay as I go and not do a tour??? I want to do the falls because it looks like its the most popular thing to do in jamaica. but the slide in mystic mountain looks sooo fun! and also can I go to mystic and just look around? Like I wanted just to go on the pool slide??? thanks....

We did Mystic from Montego Bay and almost did not make it back to the ship on time. There was so much to do at Mystic that it took up the whole day. We booked through the cruise line and were told they were holding the ship for us, as we were stuck in a traffic jam on our way back to the ship. I would not take the chance, pick one or the other. It gives you a reason to go there again. Jamaica traffic is rough during rush hour so be ware what ever you do, if planning your own day.

MMand DRF are minutes from each other ....

They are both very close to the piers in Ocho .. and an hour drive from Fal' .. given the hour travel time I do NOT recommend a 'roll your own' tour here. But both places ARE on the web and you can check prices. DRF is a park and admission is a one time day price ... MM is the other end of the scale and everything is ala' cart

I've been to DRF many times since 1986 .. many times .. I would NOT ride in a bus on JA roads for an hour each way to visit DRF or MM .... I'd visit on my future cruise to Ocho when the travel time is 10 minutes

Family at DRF

drf2.jpg

drf4.jpg

You can find both of these places on Google Maps via the search function ... and judge for yourself

As previously answered, they are only minutes apart. How much you fit in to a day depends on how fast you're willing to go through it all. I supposed you could speed up the falls if you want to, bypassing all those holding hands and smiling for cameras. I got the impression they make you hire a guide, but I could be wrong about that. We were there about 2 hours.

You can just do the slide at Mystic Mountain, but you have to take the lift to get up to the slide, so you're paying for that too. The lift stops when zip-liners need rides, so your trip up the mountain can be lengthy depending on what's going on. Our ride up was about 45 minutes, but down was about half that.

We were on a ship excursion, so no problems with timing.

Don't limit yourself! We did Mystic Mountain and Dunns River Falls two years ago on the Oasis. Our two teenagers still talk about our excursion in Jamaica. The bobsleds and then the walk up the falls will be a memory for a lifetime! We booked the excursion onboard and were delivered back to the ship before sailaway; no worries:)

Archived