Parent's 40th Anniversary Cruise: Carnival or HAL? Advise please

mcbrides

I'm planning an Alaska cruise for May 2006 for my parent's 40th anniversary, and I have been all over these boards (reading) for the past few weeks. We have decided to go with a R/T, mostly b/c of the really inconvenient flying options on a Northbound or Southbound cruise, and we won't be doing a pre/post trip this time. We would like to include Glacier Bay based on recommendations of this board. The two choices I'm down to are out of Vancouver so that we have the "true" inside passage, but Seattle could also be reconsidered.

Here's what I'm looking at, with itineraries and amount of time in port:

HAL Zuiderdam: (R/T Vancouver) Sea; Tracy Arm in a.m. / Juneau in p.m. (7 hours); Skagway (14 hours); Glacier Bay; Ketchikan (6 hours); Sea

Carnival Spirit: (R/T Vancouver) Sea; Juneau (9 hours); Glacier Bay; Skagway (8 hours); Ketchkan (8 hours); Sea

I really like that the HAL itinerary includes Tracy Arm (even though I realize we may or may not make it down very far). The HAL port times just seem really short--6 hours in Ketchikan and only 7 hours in Juneau? We're planning to do Capt. Larry in Juneau, which would only leave us a few hours to explore something else. Also planning to do Misty Fjords seaplane in Ketchikan, leaving very little time there also. Any thoughts?

I know every cruise is a compromise, but I don't know which way to lean! More time in port? More chance to sea glacier viewing? Oh, the decisions!

And not that ages really matter, but my parents are 57 & 58. My husband and I are 27 & 28. Brother is 38.

Thanks so much!

I'd take the one with the schedule you like the most. It's really all about the itinerary in Alaska. I did the May Carnival Glacier Bay this year and enjoyed it. In May, you might not be able to make it all the way into Tracy Arm due to the ice--no one did this May.

Even though the flights are cheaper for round trip, I liked north and southbound much better--southbound the best, even with no added days.

In a heartbeat, I would choose HAL. We sailed on the Zaandam 2003, Inside Passage out of Vancouver. We have also sailed Carnival. We will celebrate our 40th 2006, so close to your folks age. We found HAL balcony suite to be wonderful, full of amenities, incl. stationary, engraved with our name and suite number. We had booked a guaranteed balcony and were upgraded to this wonderful cabin, port and aft. We loved everything about HAL - food, ship, entertainment, itenerary, stewards. There were some kids on board, but not like the number you see on Carnival, and esp. in May - school will still be in. We went to Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Glacier Bay. The entire trip was so perfect. I would also choose to cruise out of Vancouver vs Seattle, because of the path the ships take. Both are wonderful cities, but you hit some pretty rough seas sometimes out of Seattle on sea days. gg

I have sailed both lines to Alaska. Either will be a good choice, but the Carnival sailing is limited to May or Sept. I do give a big edge to HAL but Carnival is great in Alaska too, both have ship naturalists. There is superior deck viewing from HAL however and with the added glacier viewing, that probably would be my choice.

We faced this same dilemma for 2006 and finally decided on Volendam R/T Vancouver with Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. Being May I thought maybe we'd have a better chance of going further up Tracy Arm on the smaller ship? Any comments appreciated!

I have a review on the Holland CC board of our roundtrip from Seattle on Holland America Line. We celebrated our 35th on board and did the renewal of vows which was the highlight of our cruise. It is reasonably priced and I highly recommend it. (Amsterdam May 29-June 5, Alaska)

Whatever cruiseline you choose, I hope you have a wonderful time with your family. Congratulations to them on their 40th!

My vote would be for HAL, more public space on ship and great glacier viewing from the bow, or if it's bad weather, the Crow's Nest. Also the promanade deck is nice for sitting out and enjoying the scenery.

Six hours is really enough for Ketchikan - we did flightseeing to Misty Fjords and I took a little walk around town. Still made it back to the ship early. Seven hours in Juneau was plenty of time to go up the tram and walk the trails and still get out to Mendenhall Glacier and walk those trails.

We did the Seward to Vancouver trip and really enjoyed that. Just be aware that the flight from east coast or midwest to Anchorage is long! Then to add insult to injury - a 2, almost 3, hour bus ride to Seward! If I do it again, I'll stay overnight in Anchorage before boarding the ship.

My vote would be for HAL, more public space on ship and great glacier viewing from the bow, or if it's bad weather, the Crow's Nest. Also the promanade deck is nice for sitting out and enjoying the scenery.

Six hours is really enough for Ketchikan - we did flightseeing to Misty Fjords and I took a little walk around town. Still made it back to the ship early. Seven hours in Juneau was plenty of time to go up the tram and walk the trails and still get out to Mendenhall Glacier and walk those trails.

We did the Seward to Vancouver trip and really enjoyed that. Just be aware that the flight from east coast or midwest to Anchorage is long! Then to add insult to injury - a 2, almost 3, hour bus ride to Seward! If I do it again, I'll stay overnight in Anchorage before boarding the ship.

We got into Seattle early one morning, spent one night and boarded the ms Amsterdam on the second day. I agree that the trip from the east coast is tiring and the time change does affect the body more than we could imagine--a day or two in the port city before the cruise does help.

If your folks are like us (& they are probably in our age range), we appreciate the more layed back atmosphere of a HAL ship... less of a "party-hardy" atmosphere.

They'll have a great time, whatever you choose.:)

Archived