Beaches in Tahiti

Jackiealu

Can anyone tell me what are the best few beaches we will encounter when we sail on the Tahitian Princess in September. If there is one or two ports where we just want to skip an excursion and go to the beach, where should we plan on doing this. Also, any ports without a good beach or a beach at all. By good beach, I am thinking sand area and able to play in the water, hopefully some waves to play in.

I want to make sure to plan an excursion if there is a stop without a beach to enjoy.

Our ports will be:

Huahine - already scheduled to take Marc's Motu Picnic

Raiatea - thinking about the Nature walk - any info on this tour?

Rarotonga - will be there on a Sunday, thinking about just renting a car there

Bora Bora - not planned yet, want to do a 4x4 trip plus would like to try aqua safari here, also thinking about sunset sail on first day.

Moorea - not planned yet

I would appreciate any help I can get on the planning.

Thank you all,

Jackie

jackiealu@aol.com

Hi Jackie.

I haven't been to FP yet, (we're going on the TP in August) but I don't think any of the ports have beaches like what you are used to in California. The beaches are narrow strips of sand, and since the islands are surrounded by coral reefs, the waves are pretty much non-existant. From what I've read, the appeal of French Polynesia isn't so much the beach, but rather the crystal clear lagoons, and the fabulous life under the water.

That being said, I'm sure you can find plenty of places to lay out a beach towel or two.

Hi Jackie,

We went on the TP in March. We only found one beach like you described and that was actually on Tahiti. We took the #14 bus (air conditioned) from Papeete to Mahina (about a 30 minute ride). The bus drops you off by a snack bar/restaurant and the interior of the public park (you can't see the beach from there - just ask the bus driver). It is a short walk out to the black sand beach. Soft sand and gentle waves to play in (no snorkeling), Moorea is off in the background and there is a pretty hillside next to you. We had a blast playing here on our last day, there we no ship people there - only locals and tourists! When we wanted to back to the ship, we walked back up the road (just around the corner from the snack shop). We boarded a bus who took us a short way then told us to wait for a different bus going back to Papeete.

Tammy

Muri Beach in Raro is beautiful; no surf though as it is in the lagoon. It is easily reached by the circle island buses that run every half hour. You can catch Le Truck to Matira beach in Bora Bora for a sandy beach in a nice setting in the lagoon.You can hop on the ferry to Moorea right next door to the ship, about 30-45 min. depending which one you take, and then take a shuttle to the Sheraton Moorea. There you will find a lovely beach with great snorkleing. They are O.K. with that if you purchase a drink or some food. We did this on one of the days we were docked in Papeete.There are very few sand beaches on the main islands in FP, rather they are found on the little motus in the lagoons.

Cheers,

Andy

Archived